Finding Those Signals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dalirahma

Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
Progress...I picked up some signals today on my 3 LMB satellite. I'm trying to install this myself on a pole in my backyard

I get no signal on satelitte 101, signals in the 70s on 110 and signals in the low 90s on 119. I tried tweaking things a bit and that's the best I've been able to do. Can anyone give me some insite into those readings?

I still have to option of moving the pole a little bit. I won't pour concrete until I know I can get good reception.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ToddR

Make sure you have the skew setting correct. Depending at your area, move dish a bit to the east or west.

Also make very sure the pole is level top and sides. In fact you should really decide your pole location and SET IT, then install the dish. You can determine your line of site with a $5 compass.

When I first set up my 3 LNB dish, I has the same issue. (119 & 110 no 101).

Try moving your dish a little more to the east (left). Look for 101 transponder 1. When you get that, the others should fall into place.

Phil T said:
When I first set up my 3 LNB dish, I has the same issue. (119 & 110 no 101).

Try moving your dish a little more to the east (left). Look for 101 transponder 1. When you get that, the others should fall into place.

Thanks for the insight.

Hmmm, I thought it would be the other way around. I thought moving it a few feet to the right (west) might do the trick. I say this because There may be an issue with some tree branches just to the east of my line of sight.

Cripes, I hope this is the case, because if I move the dish to the left (east) the line of sight will run smack into my neighbor's fence.

How tall is his fence? If you were to look at my dish you would swear it's pointing directly at the trees, but around my latitude the birds are pretty high. Also I think that the satellites are positioned opposite to how the LNB's are on the dish, i.e. 119 is to the right (west) but signal bounces into the left 'horn'; the 110 is in the middle and bounces directly into the center; while the 101 on the left (east) bounces the signal to the 'horn' on the right. I'm sure someone will correct me and I'm probably wrong, but that is how it seems. That makes it a tad un-intuitive to point unless you get lucky like I did.

walkerjs said:
How tall is his fence? If you were to look at my dish you would swear it's pointing directly at the trees, but around my latitude the birds are pretty high. Also I think that the satellites are positioned opposite to how the LNB's are on the dish, i.e. 119 is to the right (west) but signal bounces into the left 'horn'; the 110 is in the middle and bounces directly into the center; while the 101 on the left (east) bounces the signal to the 'horn' on the right. I'm sure someone will correct me and I'm probably wrong, but that is how it seems. That makes it a tad un-intuitive to point unless you get lucky like I did.

Yeah, that fence is about 8 feet tall. And there's a number of huge trees to the left. So unfortunately, I have about 5 feet of good sight to work with on my property. I was hoping that moving the pole 5 feet to the right might help. Thanks for the input.

Look on eBay for a SatBeeper. This connects between the receiver and LNB and if the LNB is picking up signal it raises it's frequency based on signal strength. I picked one up for under $20 and is great for spotting in.
Verify your skew and inclination and heading, and with the beeper, you should get a low tone.
As you move the dish, you get audio feedback on if it's helping or hurting. Much easier than a meter or TV on the signal strength screen. (not as accurate, but almost all transponders are above 90 for me with the beeper.)

cbearnm said:
Look on eBay for a SatBeeper. This connects between the receiver and LNB and if the LNB is picking up signal it raises it's frequency based on signal strength. I picked one up for under $20 and is great for spotting in.
Verify your skew and inclination and heading, and with the beeper, you should get a low tone.
As you move the dish, you get audio feedback on if it's helping or hurting. Much easier than a meter or TV on the signal strength screen. (not as accurate, but almost all transponders are above 90 for me with the beeper.)

Hmmm, very interesting. I may get one if I still have trouble tonight! Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)