Finding what Satellite I have the Dish presently

The other transponders that you listed (12023 and 12094) are likely some Shaw Direct transponders on Anik F2 @ 111W. Most FTA receivers can't scan those, i'm surprised yours actually detected them.
Shaw Direct switched the modulation on all but one transponder to DVB-S back in November to increase signal to help mitigate the fact F2 would be allowed to drift into an inclined orbit. All FTA receivers can now scan in those transponders (19 transponders scanned in when I last scanned the satellite).

Since it sounds like this dish isn't going to be motorized, if you specifically want the PBS channels on 125°W, you should instead aim for the copies of them on 99°W because the ones on 125°W are supposed to be taken down in a few months. PBS at 99°W has been consistently weaker than at 125°W, but a 39" dish should be big enough for reliable reception.
This is extremely good advice! electronmini you should be trying to point at 99W. Since you are currently at 110/111.1 then you need to move to the east.

Not sure how I missed that one on 110W when I searched earlier on Lyngsat

Electronmini, we look at the tables on lyngsat, first for the frequency that matches, then since those satellites have spotbeams, we look withing the transponders that use that frequency, we look for a beam that can be receivable in Austin TX. In this case, 12548 has beam 22 centered on San Antonio (good coverage maps are on satbeams.com). and on Lyngsat, if you click on DishUSA you get the list of channels, and sure enough there's one with PID 7521. So it's a bit of a detective game, and sometimes some programs are not listed (like the 8886 you had on the screenshot, it's not on Lyngsat)

One more thing, with the exception of 119W, those procrams that scan in as $Chxxxx are typicaly on frequencies above 12200 MHz

The other transponders that you listed (12023 and 12094) are likely some Shaw Direct transponders on Anik F2 @ 111W. Most FTA receivers can't scan those, i'm surprised yours actually detected them.

When you had Canal del Congresso that was likely 117W (Eutelsat 117WB on it's Mexico beam)

As far as using a meter, I think in your case it would be useful. I know nothing about the useability of the specific model, but I think it's basicaly a receiver and screen in a small portable package. Would be the same as bringing a receiver and TV on the roof, just a lot easier :)
Keith: Thank you very much superb information and even better the way I can understand it and use myself rather than take other's people time and efforts.
As a suggestion maybe someone could write a "file" with the whole procedure with examples that I assume this board carry that type of "general files (forgot what they are called). I wish this was also on a book. I purchased the FTA book that was suggested to me here but did not arrive yet. But I read a bit on line and did not see anything like that.
Thanks a lot, and my hat off again in respect and admiration to all those that take their time and effort to help other in despair.

Reactions: Brct203
The PBS mux on 125W is apparently to be shut down June 1st. The PBS mux on 99W has been there since January.
Hi Keith, Has this been officially announced by PBS or is this rumor mill stuff? I ask because I've enjoyed the PBS mux on 125W for many years. I'd hate to see it go away. My wife and I are very much into the Sunday evening programming like Masterpiece. I do have PBS OTA but I like the flexibility of having different timezones available

Hi Keith, Has this been officially announced by PBS or is this rumor mill stuff? I ask because I've enjoyed the PBS mux on 125W for many years. I'd hate to see it go away. My wife and I are very much into the Sunday evening programming like Masterpiece. I do have PBS OTA but I like the flexibility of having different timezones available
Saw it on another site, so don't know the validity of the date, hence my "apparently". I too hate to see it leave 125W, will have to re-arrange a dish or two to get 99W, and even then not sure I'll be able to get it on an 80cm as it is nowhere near as strong as it is on 125W and people have been having problems getting it.

Reactions: TRG
Definitely 110W (12503 and 12548) and 111.1W (12094 and 12023).
11780 H 30000, you don't list any signal strength, are you getting it as well, or is it leftover from a previous scan?
Thanks Keith. I moved and also got a new receiver GTMedua SS7. A little bitty thing about 7”x3”x1.5 and now I get several unscrambled channels in addition to the scrambled ones. These are:
1–>15 as per the following pictures.
I wish I could pick up exactly the gist in how to search myself, but so far my brain refuses to understand the details. One think I found out when I was searching in google using the following search skeem for example for the word: Judicial;
Y typed in google: Judicial site:lyngsat.com and the sear results where extrange. I found that google indexed Lyngsat 8 to 20 years ago so things in the result look at what Lyngsat was back then.
Now I devised a new idea: get lyngsat on the browser; copy the whole content and paste it into a document in word (docs) and save as a file.
I did that for a few satellites and plant to get the all from 89W to 125W. Then it will be up to date the info in those files and hopefully a cinch to find the matching info with what I get from the blind scan.
But the preparations for the move keep taking all my time, and also visitors now for a week.
Thanks for the support and I would like to hear opinions as the viability of this new method to find what satellite I am scanning on a blind scan.
Any idea of where I am now?
Th
The

Thanks Keith. I moved and also got a new receiver GTMedua SS7. A little bitty thing about 7”x3”x1.5 and now I get several unscrambled channels in addition to the scrambled ones. These are:
1–>15 as per the following pictures.
I wish I could pick up exactly the gist in how to search myself, but so far my brain refuses to understand the details. One think I found out when I was searching in google using the following search skeem for example for the word: Judicial;
Y typed in google: Judicial site:lyngsat.com and the sear results where extrange. I found that google indexed Lyngsat 8 to 20 years ago so things in the result look at what Lyngsat was back then.
Now I devised a new idea: get lyngsat on the browser; copy the whole content and paste it into a document in word (docs) and save as a file.
I did that for a few satellites and plant to get the all from 89W to 125W. Then it will be up to date the info in those files and hopefully a cinch to find the matching info with what I get from the blind scan.
But the preparations for the move keep taking all my time, and also visitors now for a week.
Thanks for the support and I would like to hear opinions as the viability of this new method to find what satellite I am scanning on a blind scan.
Any idea of where I am now?
Th
The
Pictures
3513CEB8-E988-4B08-8079-D556116F2D8A.jpeg

Attachments

• 42B3A63C-ECBD-4AE0-9930-12D4B8BF99B1.jpeg
    42B3A63C-ECBD-4AE0-9930-12D4B8BF99B1.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 80
  • BAA49074-991B-4FA7-823B-5ACA68256122.jpeg
    BAA49074-991B-4FA7-823B-5ACA68256122.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 6A130DB1-C2FB-49A3-85E6-386E844D07BD.jpeg
    6A130DB1-C2FB-49A3-85E6-386E844D07BD.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 81
You are on 116.8W, but your transponder numbers are weird, shouldn't be 4 digits, and the one that is 5 digits (13000) is off as well. What is the LO setting in the receiver?
You are right, I forgot that I changed the LNB to universal 5150-11475 and forgot about it after a few scans and other unrelated tasks. Old age…LOL.
I Will move again, based on diff. From125W and 116.8W. But cannot work on it until next Sunday.
On the go today but I have a few questions (kind of loosely related and not sure if appropriate by this bird to continue on this thread or star diferente/s. They are:
Are there any electronic devices (names?) that could allow me to run video signal from my satelittle receiver on WiFi in the rest of my home? The idea is no to have to run AG-6 all over the house for other TV sets.
The other question refers to FTA books: I purchased the FTA book recommended on this thread but did not arrive yet. However I found a viewing of it on line and did not appeared to me as ver detail on the te híncalo aspects as frequencies and how that work while filling out the screens on the receiver.
So is there any other book that would deal more or also in the detailed general principles of satellite TV receiving and transmitting?
For example what are the parameters that influence “Signal Intensity”, etc.
Thank you very much.

Attachments

• 00BD0972-4CFC-43C0-A0F5-0DFAEEB8E06D.jpeg
    00BD0972-4CFC-43C0-A0F5-0DFAEEB8E06D.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: Keith Brannen
I am not aware of any other FTA books (haven't really checked, though) most information can usually be found through google or youtube, or reading sites like this one, which is filled with good information and knowledgeable and experienced members.

Reactions: Brct203
I am not aware of any other FTA books (haven't really checked, though) most information can usually be found through google or YouTube, or reading sites like this one, which is filled with good information and knowledgeable and experienced members.
Thanks, I will try that. Today I will have some time to move the dish from 117W to 125W AMC21 and planning again to use the Harbor freight "Inclinometer" that appears to give at east half degree accuracy judging by the scale (for elevation) and for Az I was planning to run a wood stick horizontally against the front of the dish and "Site by eye) a point on the roof for the current Az, then by calculating "trigonometrically" the angle to correct from 117 to 125 mark on the reference point just sited what the new position should be on the roof site line used before.
Hoping i would be very close and then just explore around that point until I get some Sat signal. I cannot think of any other more accurate way to move the dish and still puzzled why 125W eludes me now when a few years ago I have done it in just a few minutes and also much closer to the horizon that this 34.6elevtion on a roof!
I am also concern why I get on 80+ signal strength, could that be that my RG6 is like 20 years old and has more resistance/loses? What factors affect signal strength? Is it worth to try to place a Signal Booster just after the LNB?
I am running a probably 50 ft cable from the roof to the receiver.
In the past when accessing a forum has been very helpful to me to find "Sticky" Posts/Explanations that deal to the nitty gritty with all details and factors influencing the subject discussed. Do we have that on this forum?
This week I should be getting my FTA book on the mail.
Once more, thank for your patience and help.

An Enigma 2 based receiver has streaming built-in. Example STB: Edision Mio 4K Plus.
Thank TI; I searched in Google and I found these specs:
Technical features:
Type: 4K UHD E2 Linux Combo Reivever DVB-S2X + DVB-S/T2/C with Multi Stream Support
1 x Tuner DVB-S2X
1 x Tuner DVB-S2/T2/C
DVB-S2X, DVB-S2 DVB-S, MPEG2, MPEG4, H.265 (HEVC) QPSK, 8PSK, 16APSK, 32APSK supported
AAC, AAC+, AC3, Dolby Digital, MP1, MP2, MP3 supported
Resolution 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, 2160i, 2160p
Multi Stream T2MI & Blind Scan support
Linux operational system
Processor: Dual Core ARM 1.5 GHz
FLASH 8GB eMMC/RAM 2GB DDR4 2400Mhz
OLED Display
4K UHD Multimedia Player
Web Browser & HbbTV support
Internet Streaming TV and Radio
Dual Band 2x2 Wi-Fi 802.11ac 5G/2.4G with MU-MIMO
2 x Pluggable Wi-Fi Antennas
Bluetooth: embedded 2.1/3.0/4.0
Unlimited channel memory
Hyper-sensitive tuner for receiving even the weak-signal channels
1 x Smartcard reader
10/100 Mbps Ethernet interface
2 x USB2.0 ports
1 x HDMI 2.0a Connection
1 x jack to RS232
1 x jack to IR
1 x S/PDIF
Channel switch in less than 1 second.
Extensive ΕPG and programmed viewing via EPG
Expandable Add-Ons & Plug-Ins (Do I need this?)
Supports Bouquet list ( No idea ofwhat a Bouquet list is!)
Multilingual OSD, Skin - support
Channel search: Fully automatic/Manual
Time Shift function and Multi Timers
Supports Teletext & and OSD and VBI subtitles
Compatible with DiSEqC 1.0, 1,1 ,1.2 and 1.3 (USALS)
Supports SCR / CSS (EN50494 & EN50607)
Power consumption less than 0.5 Watt, in low-power stand-by mode
--------------0-----------------------------0----------------
But here is the but: I very green on this are and would probably need to learn a lot/read a lot before I am able to search for what I need as an informed consumer.
Is there any generic sentence eg" "xxxxx xxxx yyyy"that I could use quickly on vendor's websites but make sure I am shopping for what would allow me to receive sat Signals/Channells and then using my local WIFI get the signal received by a Non-WIFI TV (my TV's are not WIFI equipped).
I would assume that it should exist a "gadget' I could by to receive the WIFI signal and give it to my old TVs so I do eliminate the ugly RG6 cable installation in the different rooms.

So as far as I understand right now i need to search fort things/electronic equip.
-- One would be the sat received as the specs above (My assumption but I cannot figure out what are the must items on that above specs). Many times I find convenient to shop in websites like aliexpress.
-- The second items if such a thing exists is a gadget that receives the WIFI from my sat receiver/sender and converts it to something that can be wired with HDMI or RCA cables to my TV's
Am I in the right track?

I am also concern why I get on 80+ signal strength, could that be that my RG6 is like 20 years old and has more resistance/loses? What factors affect signal strength? Is it worth to try to place a Signal Booster just after the LNB?
I am running a probably 50 ft cable from the roof to the receiver.
Signal Strength is not really important, with most receivers it is just an indication that an LNB is attached and working. Signal Quality is the only reading that matters. A signal booster for a short run of cable (such as you have) would not help, in fact, would probably worsen the SQ as it boosts the noise as well. Only long runs of cable (200ft? or so) would benefit with a signal booster, and even then don't think it helps much, as far as I recall.

Enigma2 OS based STBs, such as the Enigma OS Mio 4K plus and computers with satellite PCIE cards and USB tuners can provide web streaming on your network. Maybe other STBs are available that will also stream, but I haven't researched lately.

How to watch streaming video on a "UN-SMART" TV? Almost any computer, tablet, streaming set-top box can be connected to the TV with a HDMI cable and point the device to the streams IP address.

Plug-ins are software apps which can be used with the device to provide additional functions and features. (I.E. weather, clocks, signal finders, SDR dongles, etc.)

Bouquet List is another name for a list of channels or services.

Signal Strength is not really important, with most receivers it is just an indication that an LNB is attached and working. Signal Quality is the only reading that matters. A signal booster for a short run of cable (such as you have) would not help, in fact, would probably worsen the SQ as it boosts the noise as well. Only long runs of cable (200ft? or so) would benefit with a signal booster, and even then don't think it helps much, as far as I recall.
Thanks a bunch finally conquered the monster an after two moves I when they to 125W AMC21.
I get close to 90% Sig. Strength and 72 Signal Quality, so I am in business with PBS on satellite. I was much more difficult to find the signal than when I got at North Ontario-Canada.
Thanks Keith and all other that gave their time an experience to get this old foggy back to Satellite.
Thanks
Here is what I get, and the one more question: These are stations from Montana, and I have being able to learn where to get the satellite schedules for Al those channels. None of Montana PBS schedules on the web shows schedule. I get a monthly guide as PBS Sustainer Member, but do specify channels for satellite.
Any clues?