Finding your true South in Quebec ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

intrust16

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 8, 2006
Where can I find my latitude longitude elevation coordinates and true south if I'am located in Quebec also?

I will try this week-end to setup the dish but after reading mastermesh hard times I'am getting scrared lol. Finding your true south is critical

So ICE I will follow your suggestion of going with dish no motor or switches and try to find my true south, then write down on mast where I lock in a quality signal

But to be able to do so I need to know what are my coordinates from my postal code not zip code... I'am in the eastern townships. The east side of Quebec. Exactly 38 minutes from the Vermont state border near Stanstead/Magog.

Setup will be Wineguard 76cm, Invacom QPH-031 using L 10750 LO. C 11250 LO.

Motor is SG2100, 2 x 2x1 22khz switch LnbA LnbB to 1. Gecen SW-03/P

If you know a good place where I can have exact coordinates that would be of great help to get me started this week-end.

I have got my 10Inch tv and receiver ready to go on the roof with me where the antenna will be mounted on chimeney not roof.

True south is the same as your longitude!

71 deg.

Last edited:
use google earth, find where you are and it will pretty much give you the exact numbers.

I pulled up Sadoun's install site and Quebec City is 46.8N 71.3W so AMC6 is your closest true south. Its at 72.0 and there is a VERY strong religious channel on there :)

Thanks all... google earth is sooooo cool... it gives me 45,23 amd 71,57 almost on par with you guys. Man I'am :eek: LoL

I'am looking now at elevation for the dish before installing motor.

I will keep doing some reading.... I have two more days until saturday. BTW, it has been raining almost every otherday here in the townships... hope I get clouds only no sunshine or I will atempt a night install.

using your lat/longitude, for a fixed dish aiming at AMC6 is

Elevation-38
Azimuth-195 or so
skew is 0

so you're pretty close to my setup (I'm at 45N 93W)

Hello

I'm in Quebec also and this is right, your true south is amc6 at 72 degrees.

Don't forget to put you post perfectly right. Verify it carefully.

With a dish like this you won't be able to get all sats in Quebec but you should be able to have fun.

Labgate

I've tested with a used 75cm Starchoice (Winegard) dish and I found it too small. Better with a 90cm or a 1m. I'm thinking of replacing my 90cm by a Winegard 1m.

Apart DVBmaster and Kusat in Montreal, where can we find dish-receiver-lnb in Quebec or Ontario ?

Anyone know where to find used 1 meter Starchoice dish ?

Thank you.

I wasn't able to install dish last week-end. Raining all day saturday and working on sunday but I shoul be able to try it this week-end.

I wanna try and get my true south without the motor so I was wondering what should be the elevation on dish itself?

ICE mentioned 38 elevation but looking at my SG2100 installation guide I should have 6.8 Declination Angle... and Dish bracket angle of 23.2
I'am confusing elevation with motor and dish installed.
Should I use only 38 without motor as the elevation angle to my Winegard directly set on mast?

I feel I'am a kid trying to do something for an adult grown-up thing LoL

Labgate, are you far from the eastern townships?

Iceberg gave you the angle of elevation of the dish when not using a motor above!

If you are aiming at AMC-6 @ 72ºw the Dish elevation should be 38º

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you get round to adding the motor the elevation on the motor should be
45º (One side of a GENUINE SG2100 is marked ELEV. and the other LAT.)

The dish elevation (when used with motor) should be 23º

Good luck!

Hello

I'm near Quebec city.

My latitude is 46 so my elevation angle is 44 and my declination is 6.8.

That means that on the scale on the motor I should place it at 44, then play with your dish on a known to adjust the declination.

The declination on my dish would be (30-6.8) so anything about 23.2.

so on the motor I place 44 (elevation) and adjust my dish at 23.2 for declination.

Hope this is clear.

Labgate

Hello again
Another thing.

I bought a quad lnb with circular and standard lnb (invacom).

Then I use the circular side to help me adjust my arc. What is fun about those sats is that they have many frequencies in common and are very strong.

I use 61.5 82 91 110 and 119 to check signal.

Then I go from 61.5 to 119 and if the signal is strong on both sats I'm all set.

Then I fine tune using real fta satellites like t5. Good luck my first motor took many hours to align until I understood how it worked.

Labgate

mounting arm to motor...

I,am going to set the dish first on the mast before I install the arm but tonight I was preparing all the stuff for installation.

I'am preparing my winegard in the basement tonight and my SG2100 motor.

I noticed that on the SG2100 motor, the arm support tube has 2 holes.
1 is located 2 inches from the beginning where the tube screws directly into the rotator and there is another hole almost 1/4 inch at the very end of the tube.

I'am thinking of using the first whole at the beginning of the motor tube near the rotator and put the mast/dish support arm screwed in place on the SG2100 motor tube.

Do I make any sense? Am'I clear in my question?

Is this the right thing to do?

Today friday afternoon... I'am up there on the roof.

Got all the tools needed... A little rain drops here and there, but I will give it my best shot. I have all week-end to finish it off and watch fta channels, so I'am highly motivated.

If you don't hear from me again is simply because I fell off the roof and you know the rest but so far so good.

Will keep you posted.

If you don't hear from me again is simply because I fell off the roof and you know the rest but so far so good.
dang man dont say that. As someone who has gone splat twice off a roof it isnt fun :)

Iceberg said:
dang man dont say that. As someone who has gone splat twice off a roof it isnt fun :)

Whoo sorry to hear that ICE.. NO me I'am Back !!
Really scary thing to hit the roof alone and the toughest part is getting off it while the latter tends to move from left to right until you have both feet rested on the top step of the latter... scary thing for just a few seconds...

Antenna is up on the roof now. I did all the mast adjustments and plumb and it seems good not perfect but I say 98.932% acurate...

Now tomorrow going back up and finish the invacom lnb to the antenna connection, then wiring part and try to hit true south 71 degree or AMC6.

I have a couple of questions though:

1) There is on the winegard 2 screws that can be used to move a little back or forward the invacom LNB. Will I need to do that or untie the LNB clamp and push or pull on LNB to make the perfect adjustments. I know you can even rotate LNB at the clamp clockwise or so... So alot of details and alot of adjustments at the LNB arm/clamp setup, that can be a factor tomorrow... Q- Does the invacom QPH-031 position needs to be adjusted at the end of the arm support?

Then,
Once I hit a good quality signal with AMC6's bird without motor.
I mark up the reference on mast then install motor.
Try to see if motor catches AMC6 with quality.
I move motor with the button on motor itself, correct?
2) Q- What is a quality signal average for AMC6 with 76winegard in my area 45, 71?

3) Q- What do I do next?
Do I store the AMC6 position or go directly to blind scan and let it store it in memory? My true south is 71 degrees so if I hit AMC6 do I need to bother finding my true south for the SG2100 motor?

Pansat 3500SD receiver here.

Thanks so much guys, you were almost there with me on the roof LoL

1/ I find the LNBF wants to be as far away from the dish in its holder as it can go. There will be NO skew to set with a motorized system, the LNBF goes straight up and down on your true south satellite. Its skews itself as it motor east and west from true south (Like my avatar)

2/ Here in MN. its around 75% signal quality with a 30" dish on Kuil TV Fox. (AMC-4)

3/ Once you find your true south satellite (If using DiSEqC 1.2) number and store the position. (USALS) Make sure you have your Lat.(North) and Long.(West) set correctly. BLIND Scan the satellite. Then motor to the next satellite.

Good Luck!

PSB said:
1/ I find the LNBF wants to be as far away from the dish in its holder as it can go...

The LNB holder is held by two screws on the end of the support arm.
The holder itself can be moved at the very end of the support arm by also 3/4 inch since it has two holes the lenght of about 3/4 of an inch.

Since the Invacom is very heavy I wonder if I should keep the holder as close as possible to the arm end and push the LNB the fartest away from the dish lnb bracket...

You understand my point?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts