Fine Tuning 1 Meter Fortec Star Dish & Stab HH 120 Motor - Tips & Lessons Learned.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
After what seems like over 100 trips up and down the ladder in the last 6 months, and in the interest of helping other beginners, (if its okay), I would like to summarize some of the steps and lessons learned to get this system to work.
Final Setup:
Today the Fortec Dish, Stab Motor, & Invacom QPH-031 LNB are very accurately tracking Satellites from 72.0W to 127.0W. On my South Satellite G 25 / 97.0W I can now get Q signal levels on 11966 = 65%, and on IceBergs' list 12152 = Q of up to 75%, and 12177 = Q of 75%. See Pics 1 & 2. It must be duly noted that without the help of the many wise folks in this great Satellite Forum, I would have been hopelessly lost.

First Attempts - LNB Touching the Roof Shingles:/B
The first attempt was to try and install the Fortec Star Dish with the Standard Roof Mount. I was first sold a SG 2100 Motor. The low roof location resulted in the LNB hitting the roof shingles so it had to be turned upside down to avoid hitting the roof when rotating. See Picture 3. The whole setup was extremely shakey when walking by the dish. After many problems trying to acquire 97.0W I contacted Fortec Canada who instructed me to trade in my SG2100 Motor for a Stab HH 120 Motor that was $60.00 more. So I got the Stab HH 120 Motor.

Placing the Fortec Ground Dish Mount on the Roof:
Talked to my great friend George, telling him that likely the best mount for this dish and motor was the Fortec Ground Mount. George said then let's put it on the Roof! (Everyone need to have a friend like George). So went to a local Plywood Store and bought a 8 Ft. Cedar Fence Post. Got their professional Carpenter to cut the Cedar Post down to 4 Ft. The 4 foot piece was cut again to the exact angle or pitch of the roof. (To get the right roof angle we took 2 - 2X4s and nailed them together on the roof then took them to the Plywood Store so the Carpenter could measure the exact roof pitch angle). We then mounted the 2 - 4 ft cedar posts on the roof Peak for the Base of the Fortec Ground Mount Post. See Pictures 4 & 5. Used washers to Plumb up the Dish Post used tar to waterproof everything, and this month painted the fading cedar posts with 3 coats of wood preservative.

Problems Experienced trying to Find True South 97.0W:
Used a compass to get an idea where true South was and rotated the Dish and Motor to this point. See Picture # 6. By far The biggest problem was the Elevation of this Dish being so far off. Satcalculator.freehostia.com told me for Winnipeg (Canada) my Dish Elevation should be set to 22.7 degrees. But in fact it needed to set be 32.7 degrees!! The other major problem that needed to get resolved was someone on this Web site advised me that when in USALS on my ViewSat Receiver Antenna Settings you had to punch in your Longitude and Latitude coordinates then press OK to Blind Scan in each Satellite. This works well.

Satellite Meter Used:
On these pages I had read a Tip By IceBerg that the best Satellite Meter was a small TV and the actual Sat Receiver itself. This has worked very well indeed for this installation, since you can see the picture and actually fine tune in the Tp's on each satellite. If the Dish goes out of calibration, it only takes about 5 minutes to get it back in line with this setup.

Pivot Bolt and Plate for Fine Tuning Dish Elevation:
A major problem I had was trying to fine tune the Elevation on the Fortec Star Dish. Thanks to some great advice from Anole, Bill190, and many others, we installed a Pivot Bolt and Steel Plate which has helped immensely in trying to adjust the elevation of the Dish. See picture #7. The Pivot Bolt has been the difference in being able to attain a Q of up to 63% on 11966 Russia Today on 97.0W.

Other Problems:
The Dish & Motor had some side to side wind issues. Tightening up the U Bolts on the Dish has helped, but when the wind is up to 55 MPH as it was today The LNB tends to bob up and down at times resulting in a temporary loss of picture. Had some problems with a Motor Clamp and Nut stripping due to stainless steel nuts and stainless steel clamps (galling problem). Took off the Motor and rethreaded the Clamp, then put anti-seize compound on everything. See Picture # 8. Fortec Canada has since been good enough to send me 2 new Stab Motor Clamps for free!!

Final Thoughts:
I've been wondering if this setup can support a 1.2 meter Dish - but with the wind could this 1.2 Meter Dish be too big for the Roof?? Would this enable me to get Satmex 6?

My Garden:This is my other hobby - Vegetable Gardening - see final pics. Some Tomatoes are now ready for eating.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated, and I hope this helps other beginners in this great hobby.

Attachments

• DSC00474.JPG
    DSC00474.JPG
    644.2 KB · Views: 665
  • DSC00465.JPG
    DSC00465.JPG
    642.2 KB · Views: 536
  • DSC00253.JPG
    DSC00253.JPG
    606 KB · Views: 522
  • DSC00473.JPG
    DSC00473.JPG
    875.2 KB · Views: 471
  • DSC00467.JPG
    DSC00467.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 422
  • DSC00472.JPG
    DSC00472.JPG
    532.6 KB · Views: 612
  • DSC00468.JPG
    DSC00468.JPG
    535.8 KB · Views: 588
  • DSC00469.JPG
    DSC00469.JPG
    438.3 KB · Views: 538
  • DSC00476.JPG
    DSC00476.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 420
  • DSC00523.JPG
    DSC00523.JPG
    697.9 KB · Views: 367
Nice pictures, glad you got everything going :) The 120cm dish probably wouldn't improve reception enough to warrant the extra expense (and they are VERY expensive to ship). Looks like you have a nice system!

the plate is a great friggin idea,i'm installing a 1.2meter and i live in northern manitoba so your pics are a great help my friend.
i believe my Dish Elevation is the same ,so are you sure its not 22.7 degrees?

PICS LOOK GREAT
ONE more thing , what is the MEASUREMENTS on that plate?

the plate is a great friggin idea,i'm installing a 1.2meter and i live in northern manitoba so your pics are a great help my friend.

PICS LOOK GREAT

Brotherhood, the Plate is about 4 inches wide by 8 inches high, I can measure it next time I go up.

Re Dish Elevation: it correctly calculates out at 22.7 degrees for our Location, but with this Fortec Star Dish there was a 10 degree error, as others have noted, I have NO idea why this happens with this Dish & Motor combo.

PICS LOOK GREAT

Brotherhood, the actual measurements of the Plate were 12.75 by 4 inches (thanks to Anole).

Nice work, goes to show how determined some of us sat-heads can be!
I noticed one pic that showed the cables running into the diseqc switch-but
couldn't see a rain-loop (looked like the rain could run right down into the connectors, but I prob just couldnt see enough of it) So that might be something to look at.
Nice garden too, you should be getting some nice tomatos, pour the Miracle-Gro to 'em and they'll explode.

Do you think the measurements of the Plate would be the same for a 1.2meter?
Also jsattv if you like you can come up to thompson and help me set my dish up and i'll take you out fishing for the big northern pike and walleyes.
THAT GOES FOR ALL YOU GUYS LOL!!

Nice pictures, glad you got everything going :) The 120cm dish probably wouldn't improve reception enough to warrant the extra expense (and they are VERY expensive to ship). Looks like you have a nice system!

Thanks Tron, your comments have always been especially helpful. Re the 120 cm Dish, - the Dealer is here in Winnipeg, but trying to get it in the car like I did the 100 cm Dish - well that could be a problem!!

Do you think the measurements of the Plate would be the same for a 1.2meter?
Also jsattv if you like you can come up to thompson and help me set my dish up and i'll take you out fishing for the big northern pike and walleyes.
THAT GOES FOR ALL YOU GUYS LOL!!

Brotherhood, the 1.2 meter dish should be identical on the back (if you are using a Fortec Star Dish), so the Pivot Bolt, Plate and Threaded Rod setup should work for the 120 cm Dish. Thanks for the Fishing invite, you will get a lot more satisfaction and great experience if you choose to do it yourself. Have you picked out the type of Dish and Motor that your going to use?

Reading the threads posted above will answer all the questions.

As for moving to a 1.2m dish, consider the GeoSatPro 1.2 - it's already got a screw adjust elevation built-in.
Price is the same as Fortec.
Shipping might be harsh due to the large size, so check with the dealers in your area who may carry it.

The link above is to SatelliteAV, who is the importer or master distributor for that line.
If necessary, ask him who he supplies in your area. :)
. . . though, come to think of it . . . maybe he drop-ships to your dealer. . . ?

Nice work, goes to show how determined some of us sat-heads can be!
I noticed one pic that showed the cables running into the diseqc switch-but
couldn't see a rain-loop (looked like the rain could run right down into the connectors, but I prob just couldnt see enough of it) So that might be something to look at.
Nice garden too, you should be getting some nice tomatos, pour the Miracle-Gro to 'em and they'll explode.

Thanks a lot TurboSat. How do I set up a Rain Loop to the Chieta DisEqC switch? Guess I need to do some rewiring here?

Also re the Miracle Grow Liquid Tomatoe Fertilizer: You are absolutely right - Fantastic Stuff for Tomatoes, used it when I planted the tomatoe seedlings, right up to when I put them in the Garden outside, and it really does work!!

got a Fortec 1.2 meter but the place a ordered my motor sold out of hh120,so if you no a good place to order a motor in canada would be nice.
thanks

got a Fortec 1.2 meter but the place a ordered my motor sold out of hh120,so if you no a good place to order a motor in canada would be nice.
thanks

Brotherhood, as Anole has posted SatelliteAV may be a good place to contact, have to find out if they ship to Canada. I purchased the complete system from 21st Century - Winnipeg - 1164 Richard Ave - 204 786 2777. The HH 120 Stab Motor price was $160.00 last Dec.

Rain loop is just making aloop in the cable before it goes into the switch, so the rain dripping down it drips off the loop, instead of running down into the connectors. I never trust connectors exposed to weather!

Thanks Tron, your comments have always been especially helpful. Re the 120 cm Dish, - the Dealer is here in Winnipeg, but trying to get it in the car like I did the 100 cm Dish - well that could be a problem!!
Thanks :) It would probably be difficult to get the thing into a car (unless you have a minivan or SUV). I did manage to get a Channel Master 1M mold into the back of a station wagon... but again, that was a station wagon. Buying locally will probably save you the cost of an additional dish in shipping, that's how expensive it can be to ship a 1.2...

You could always consider tying it to the roof of your car (if you have a luggage rack), using blankets to cradle it. I did that with a local forum member, his minivan looked like a satellite news truck :) That was with a 1.8 meter Andrew spun aluminum dish.

Thanks TurboSat I'll look into the Rain Loop setup.

Tron, I'll look around and see if the GeoSat 120 cm Dishes will ever be available up here in Canada. Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts