Fine tuning a BUD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BattleOP

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2008
UGH!

I am trying to make a post but the site keeps telling me I can't post a URL until I have made 15 posts. The problem is that there is no form of a URL in the message. So this is kind of a how do you get around that with out making 15 replies / test message.

Let's try this again for the 10th time.

I am at 34.9 - 85.1. My true south Satellite is AMC2 at 85 degrees. I went to a site to calculate the elevation which turns out to be 49.48 degrees. This is where I get a little confused or maybe not. Would I set the elevation (the bar that the dish pivots on) to 34.9 degrees and then set the dish to 49.5 degrees?

The elevation that the calculator gives you is where you would point with or without a motor, if you have a motor you need to subtract the elevation the motor adds to your elevation angle.

I figured it out. I had "(at symbol) 85 degrees" in my post. Silly me. I've worked for an ISP for almost 10 years and I didn't know that the at symbol was part of a url :)

polar mount

Set the polar mount to the elevation recommended, it shouldn't be off by much.
On a prime focus dish, you don't have the complexity of the extra offset angle to deal with. Once you're on the right elevation, its a matter of adjusting the polar axis (azimuth, east-west tracking, whatever you want to call it).
Find a satellite close to your true south, that has an active transponder, and try to hit it, once you set the elevation.

Set the polar mount to 35.52 degrees, declination to 5.03 degrees. If the dish was set up close to where it is now set up these should already be set to the right angles and won't need to be adjusted.

Where did you get the 35.52 degrees, declination to 5.03? That's where I am getting confused. How do you take the latitude of 34.9 and get to 35.53? How do you calculate the declination to end up with 5 degrees?

I went out and messed with the dish for about 30 minutes tonight until the rain started. I was about a degree off. Maybe I will get some time tomorrow to finish tweaking the dish.

Welcome to satelliteguys!!! Be sure to set your declination angle for your area and forget it.
Don't mess with it again. From this point on your elevation and polar axis (turning the mount on the pole) east and west until you track the arc.

Geo orbit website tells detailed info on how tune buds. (big ugly dishes)
It shows pics which are very helpful.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)