Fine tuning Dish 500 dish pro plus

LED

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Mountains
Hi, I have had Dish since '98 and had 2 dish 300's to get sat's 110 and 119. The dropout of signal during bad weather was getting worse over the last 8 months. I think the term is rain fade and snow fade.
Several installers and retailers said that a new Dish 500 dish pro plus dual lnb setup would work much better.
I convinced Dish to install this setup free, since I have been such a good customer.
I installed the old 300's and had no problem fine tuning the aim. I know that I should toggle between an odd and an even transponder and get the max signal. They say transponders 15 and 16 for both satellites work OK.
Now with the Dish 500, if I get max signal for one satellite, the signal for the other satellite drops off.
Anyone have advice on fine tuning this setup.
Thanks ,
Del

Theoretically using two dedicated dishes would provide better reception than one multi-satellite dish.

Have you tried replacing the SW21's?

Theoretically using two dedicated dishes would provide better reception than one multi-satellite dish.

Have you tried replacing the SW21's?
Well, Dish sent me an SW42 about 6 months ago. It of course wasn't new because they haven't made them for a few years. The SW 42 didn't help. I still have all the dish 300 stuff.
I really want to find a good way to fine tune the aim on this Dish 500. I found a dual input signal strength meter. I just don't want to spend the $110.00 for something if there is a different way.
Del

A dish 500 is a compromise to balace the signal on both 110 and 119. You need to play with AZ,ELEV. and Skew for the best average signal not the highest each can get.

A dish 500 is a compromise to balace the signal on both 110 and 119. You need to play with AZ,ELEV. and Skew for the best average signal not the highest each can get.
I thought that was the answer. Without an expensive signal strength meter it does mean a lot of trips up and down the ladder.
Should I pick any particular transponder? I was told by Dish service to average an odd and even transponder for both satellites.
It was much easier with 2 dishes.

I took the advice of Highdefjeff (from this thread http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/99322-new-satellites-want-learn-1000-2-dish-setup.html ) and purchased a dual analog meter. It was easy to use and I hooked it up to my Dish 500 DPP and raised my signal strength from the upper 80's to 110's on both 110 and 119. It is amazing to watch the 2 meters and see what happens when you move the dish just a tiny bit. My advice is to read that thread and then think about a dual analog meter. I used mine on my home system and I take it camping and now I get signals in campgrounds where I could not before.

I purchased my meter from eBay.

I think I will look for a dual analog meter. The Acutrac 22 Pro is a reasonably priced ($100+ship) meter that should do the job.
I want to thank everyone for their advice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts