Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Finial Reminder - ISF Demo from Gregg Lowen

This is just a reminder, we still have 1 or 2 slots open for tommorows ISF Calibration at my house in Newington Connecticut tommorow afternoon.

Master ISF Calibrator Gregg Loewen will be on hand to answer your questions about ISF Calibration and will be performing a calibration of a HDTV.

Plus you will get a chance to play with the new Dish Network 921.

(And who knows if you stick around long enough you might be able to enjoy the Tech Chat with me.) :D

Pizza and drinks will be provided.

If you are intested please PM me or email me ASAP to get in.

Scott Greczkowski said:
This is just a reminder, we still have 1 or 2 slots open for tommorows ISF Calibration at my house in Newington Connecticut tommorow afternoon.

Master ISF Calibrator Gregg Loewen will be on hand to answer your questions about ISF Calibration and will be performing a calibration of a HDTV.

Plus you will get a chance to play with the new Dish Network 921.

(And who knows if you stick around long enough you might be able to enjoy the Tech Chat with me.) :D

Pizza and drinks will be provided.

If you are intested please PM me or email me ASAP to get in.

So, how did it go? Hope the 921 did not take a dump. No wonder E* has stopped production.

It went well. :)

Gregg worked his magic and made an already impressive HD picture and even more impressive picture!

I have been meaning to do a writeup on what Gregg did but I have very busy with things behind the scenes.

We are looking to do another one of these around March. (And we will give more then a 3 day warning) :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
It went well. :)

Gregg worked his magic and made an already impressive HD picture and even more impressive picture!

I have been meaning to do a writeup on what Gregg did but I have very busy with things behind the scenes.

We are looking to do another one of these around March. (And we will give more then a 3 day warning) :D

I like March. I think he's headed to my house after yours, Scott :)

Actually in March we plan on having one of Dish Networks new HDTV's at a Connecticut Dish Network retailer, and Gregg will work his magic to the Dish Network HDTV. :)

We are working out the details now. :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
Actually in March we plan on having one of Dish Networks new HDTV's at a Connecticut Dish Network retailer, and Gregg will work his magic to the Dish Network HDTV. :)

We are working out the details now. :D

Seeing as mine is an RCA as well :shocked This makes it that much more interesting

I wonder what kind of "magic" he can perform with a Sony VPL-HS20 projector? Since my home theater has one of those, it might be interesting to have it looked at, but I do not know if he can do more than what I can do with a good SMPTE color bar generator, the blue filter, and some patience on my part.

Reedl

Well if Gregg is interested in doing the same type of thing in South Florida I will be having him come this fall to "tune up" my HDTV that he did last November - Stll looks great

Now for the big question that we all want to know. Looking at other posts, many are still complaining about Picture quality on DBS.

How did they tweak the TV for DBS? Or did he?

It seems like all the calibration tools (DVE and AVIA) are only for DVD players on not DBS.

I am talking about the SD DBS and not the HD DBS.

Where there any tips from this expert or did He just assume that once the HD and DVD was good the SD DBS would be good also, which I know is not always true.

Ideas?

bobj2004 said:
Now for the big question that we all want to know. Looking at other posts, many are still complaining about Picture quality on DBS.

How did they tweak the TV for DBS? Or did he?

It seems like all the calibration tools (DVE and AVIA) are only for DVD players on not DBS.

I am talking about the SD DBS and not the HD DBS.

Where there any tips from this expert or did He just assume that once the HD and DVD was good the SD DBS would be good also, which I know is not always true.

Ideas?

I had Gregg do my set in January. The answer to your question is that some of the tweaks he is making will be beneficial to all the input rates (geometry, convergence, focus, etc.) and some are done for a given scan rate (eg: color). You can ask him to color tune your set to any scan rate you want, . . . 480i, 480p, & 1080i, etc. I had both 480i (I use 480i for my DVDs) and 1080i calibrated on my set.

For a 480i/p color calibration, he uses a standard calibration DVD to drive the grey scale for measurement by his equipment. For 1080i he has a special box that provides the test patterns. He will make the display look awesome.

For DBS, . . . you still have a picture source that is highly compressed SD that gets decompressed and then displayed on a large screen. It will still have many of the artifacts that result from that process. The calibration is tuning the display, not the source. Put in a good source, and the display will display it properly. Put in a poor source, and the display will still display it properly, . . . and you will see how poor the source really is. :(.

DVDs and HD really look fantastic. I thought I had my set in pretty good shape, . . . now it is in excellent shape. Really felt the night run of Seabiscuit, . . . and I mean felt it via audio only, that segment really showed how black black is suppose to be!

hi guys!!

Hope all is well, Im just trying to get reorganized from my Florida trip, then off again to MA CT NY NY PA NC SC GA TN AL MS....it will be one heck of a huge drive!

Gregg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)