FiOS and QAM encryption?

rondon600

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
Got a new lcd hd tv for my bar area and want an HD source without investing into another monthly fee to VZ, buying a slingbox or something of the sort. My ideas were to pick up off VZ the locals/non pay channels when I scan the ant source on my tv but it appears the HD channels are likely scrambled. The TV found all the local HD channels ie 13.1 and even the station ID info however blue screen. Is this normal? I would think it would pick up nothing if it was encrypted. I just want to make sure Im not missing something here. Is it normal to scan and find the channels and channel info but no screen when its encrypted?

Next idea is to use the old ant on the roof however I just realized this tv has one RF input. Is it possible to use a combiner (is that called a diplexer) like Sat TV uses? This could possibly allow HD OTA as well as QAM over VZ.

If that doesnt work I guess I have to break out the old VOOM box out and hook the HD OTA up to the component and QAM into the RF.

Got a new lcd hd tv for my bar area and want an HD source without investing into another monthly fee to VZ, buying a slingbox or something of the sort. My ideas were to pick up off VZ the locals/non pay channels when I scan the ant source on my tv but it appears the HD channels are likely scrambled. The TV found all the local HD channels ie 13.1 and even the station ID info however blue screen. Is this normal? I would think it would pick up nothing if it was encrypted. I just want to make sure Im not missing something here. Is it normal to scan and find the channels and channel info but no screen when its encrypted?

Next idea is to use the old ant on the roof however I just realized this tv has one RF input. Is it possible to use a combiner (is that called a diplexer) like Sat TV uses? This could possibly allow HD OTA as well as QAM over VZ.

If that doesnt work I guess I have to break out the old VOOM box out and hook the HD OTA up to the component and QAM into the RF.
It could be a couple of things. First, is your anteana capable of recieving HD content. Most can, but some older ones are not. Second, how far are you from the broadcast towers. Most are located in the same pace on the top of a hill somewhere close to town. It may be that all you need is an amp to increase the recieve signal. Any bit of a low signal will give you the channel but all you will see is a blue screen.

i was not trying HD OTA - due to the fact I am close to an airport OTA does not work well for me. Every night at 5pm Southwest is stacked up from here to Texas and all signals are interrupted every 7-10min. however if I have to I can use my old VOOM box for HD OTA and use the RF in from VZ for a bunch of low def channels

my intent was to find HD that was unencrypted that I could rope in on QAM/ATSC tuner on the VZ FiOS cable line without paying for another box.

When the TV did the scan for channels it found ALL the local HD channels including their station ID however no signal just a blue screen. So my question is when a channel is encrypted over QAM is it normal to recv the channel ID info but get a blue screen? All other channels it found (low def) come in fine.

Lastly anyone know if you can use a diplexer/combiner to combine the HD OTA and the VZ low def open QAM signal into the ONE RF input on my Vizio? My only gripe about this Vizio TV is one RF input.

On encrypted channels you usually get a black screen (depends on the receiver) I remember reading somewhere that Verizon normally encrypts all their channels :(

Blue Screen with Fios

:confused:

I am having the same issue with trying to pull the HD signals from my Verizon Fios cable. I can pull the HD signals through to the TV (Visio VW32L) via the component or HDMI inputs but I have to use a set top digital tuner. However, based on my understanding of the QAM tuner.... I SHOULDN'T have to use a digital tuner!!! -Using 2 remotes is a pain in the butt!!

I would love to know if you found a solution to this problem.

Last edited:
There are some QAM recievers out there such as Zenith, LG, and Samsung. I have one of each purchased on ebay. They work fine with my cable company for the unscrambled locals. The Zenith and LG can even record HD on a hard drive. I cannot speak however as to whether or not that Fios gives you your locals unscrambled. If interested in these units, just search "QAM tuner" on ebay.

Update..

Apparently verizion is changing the PSIP's in the broadcast formats... I live in the town next to "Keyboards" who has done a TON of work on this between the tv manufacturers and verizon.

QAM Changes from Philly VHO? - dslreports.com

I found the thread I posted above through more googling... I haven't gotten to the end of it yet, so i'm still holding out hope that there is a solution!!

Last edited:
First off, FiOS offers the following channels unencrypted:

- Local SD
- Local HD
- Local digital subchannels
- Digital music (Music Choice and Urge Radio)

All other channels are encrypted. So, you SHOULD be able to get your local HD channels via your QAM tuner. However, they are having issues with this in some markets (parts of NJ, e.g.). A fix is coming from Verizon, from what I understand. Just not sure when. It does seem to also be dependent on your TV brand.

Finally, when you scan in channels via the QAM tuner, you will get everything. All channels. The ones that are encrypted will not come in, however, when you tune to them. You'll get a blank screen, and likely a 'no signal found' message on your TV.

I do think you're on the right track though - that thread on dslreports has alot of this info in it (I'm pretty familiar with it). And, for what it's worth, if you're near Keyboards, then you're not too far from me either (I'm in West Chester).

FIOS provides the locals unscrambled. I believe they are legally required to do so. In any event, I have no trouble picking them up through my Media Center box with a digital tuner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts