FiOS HD DVR and Yamaha Rx-V661

AIA_SMALZ_11

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
I posted this over at the AVS Forum and no responded so hopefully someone here will be able to assist me. This is what i posted:

"Is there anyone else out there that have the Yamaha RX-V661 and Verizon FiOS TV service and are experiencing problems hooking the FiOS HD DVR to the yamaha reciever? The problem i am having is that when i hook the FiOS HD DVR to the HDMI input on the reciever and then out to the TV the box resets the 4:3 mode back to normal when it should stay on strech mode. This occurs each time i turn off my equipment and turn them all back on. (using Harmony 880) I had to send the HDMI cable straight to the TV and use optical to the reciever to remedy the problem. Have used 2 HD boxes with same resilt, so i know there is no problem with the HD DVR. Any guesses? Other way to set up the units? Any help would be greatly appreciated."

Anyone with similar problems when running HDMI through a HDMI equiped reciever?

DJ

I have the same equipment and just got a Harmony 550 yesterday. One weird thing I've noticed about the Harmony is that when it turns on the receiver, the Zone 2 light comes on, even though it wasn't on when I turned it off, and I don't have any Zone 2 speakers connected. I don't know if there's any chance the Harmony is putting out an extra command after power-on, but it's definitely something like that.

When this happens to you, do you need the TV remote to put the screen back in stretch mode? Any chance the Harmony is putting out some extra command for you also? It shouldn't be the Yamaha because video conversion (composite input to component/s-video) isn't an option with HDMI.

I have the Harmony 880 and have tried everything to solve the problem with the strech mode on the HD DVR. I have even tried switching boxes, switched the HD DVR with a reg HD box fom my bedroom and same problem occus. I have the same problem with the zone 2 being on also when i have set the extra speakers set-up as none. Don't if this something to be overly concerned about. Any one who have solved either problem please let us know.

OK, maybe I misunderstood the first time. If you DO want stretch mode OFF, turn off your HD-DVR but leave the TV on. Press the Menu button on the front of the HD-DVR. (Don't press and hold, because that will get you to another menu after pressing one of the other buttons - I don't remember the exact sequence from when the installer was here, though). In that menu is a "480i Override" setting. Use the arrow buttons to scroll down and set that to Off. That worked for me to turn on the black sidebars for 4:3 content.

Also, I fixed the Zone 2 setting coming on at power-on. I messed up the original Harmony setup for that device, because there ARE separate buttons for On and Off (the Power and Standby buttons at the top of your original Yamaha remote.) I went back and told it there were two separate buttons instead of one toggle button, it had me confirm the signal from the original remote, and now Zone 2 doesn't light up on the Yamaha when the Harmony turns it on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)