Fios offers DVRs free for a year.

DishDave

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 16, 2003
Verizon | The Best TV Service Just Got Even Better - Special Promotion MakesSigning Up for FiOS TV Even Sweeter

New customers who subscribe to FiOS TV between now and Oct. 4 will receive their choice of a year's free use of either a high-definition (HD) digital video recorder (DVR) or an HD Home Media DVR. Verizon is also offering new FiOS TV customers, or existing customers who upgrade to a bundled package, one free month of HBO and Cinemax, which includes the latest hit movies, documentaries and original programming from more than 25 premium channels and access to hundreds of titles on video-on-demand (VOD). New customers who take advantage of this offer will save between $200 and $260 the first year, depending upon the DVR customers choose

Although the press release is dated today I noticed this yesterday when I was researching the price in my area. You can get 10/5 internet and FiOS TV Premier for $95.89/mo with one DVR included for a year. That's $2 less per month than what I am currently paying for 768k DSL and Dish Network DVR Advantage. Of course if you want movies or additional receivers it will cost extra. Still, not a bad deal.

Whoa, they're coming to install FiOS TV at my place tomorrow (already have 20/5 internet). This will save me a few more bucks.

UPDATE: Called Verizon this morning, who let me know that this will save me $20/month...but, I'd have to cancel today's appointment and reschedule a new one on the 22nd. Then the wonderful (I'm not being sarcastic here, as you will see) CSR figures out that we can trick the system like this: (1) cancel; (2) reschedule; (3) contact the field technician to let him know to come today anyway (even though the appointment is canceled) and install the work order scheduled for 22nd. I held my breath. The CSR called back five minutes later to let me know her plan worked. Five minute after that, the technician arrived.

You see, once in a while you get someone wanting to help the customer, and being able to do so by "thinking outside the box."

Unfortunately, I am now at work, and my wife is overseeing the installation. Of course, I'm getting hourly updates. The next few hours are going to d r a g.

Last edited:
Yes. I just was offered the free dvr deal and went for it. They didn't tell me about the deal until I said that I didn't want any of the movie ch's. The CSR asked me to hold on and came back in three mins with the free dvr deal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)