Fios official TV Brochure & TV Line-up

Very nice hd line-up! The only thing missing is IND1&2 which are probably my favorite channels. But perhaps they will add them.

Am I reading things right that the channels above 35 will be digital? This would be a nice improvement for us cable users who are stuck watching a lot of popular channels in analog.

Thanks for the information! Anxiously waiting FIOS in Leesburg, VA!

RandallA said:
The installation charges are outrageous though. $29.95 if you disconnect a Set Top Box. $50.00 for a service call and also for a new installation. :(
Lets compare it to Dish though. If you don't have the extended warranty plan, it's $100 for a service call. If you do have it, it what, $29 or $39? The prices are set for upgrades/downgrades to prevent people from changing their plan for a very short period of time to get just a particular program then dropping it once the program is done.

I would expect installtion fees to be waived just like every cable co does. I don't think I've ever heard of a cable company that DIDN'T have a promotion going on in some form where installtion wasn't free (or credited back your first month like Dish does).

cdru said:
Lets compare it to Dish though. If you don't have the extended warranty plan, it's $100 for a service call. If you do have it, it what, $29 or $39? The prices are set for upgrades/downgrades to prevent people from changing their plan for a very short period of time to get just a particular program then dropping it once the program is done.

I would expect installtion fees to be waived just like every cable co does. I don't think I've ever heard of a cable company that DIDN'T have a promotion going on in some form where installtion wasn't free (or credited back your first month like Dish does).

You are right! The cable companies usually have a promotion that waive the fee. So hopefully they will have something similar.

And with the downgrade fees they are making it hard for people to change provider but man, that's kind of stiff. It's all about economics I guess. So basically what they are saying is you better know what you are getting into if you don't like it, tough luck.

I do like the pricing and content on the packages though.

If you bundle I believe you get $5 off video, $5 off landline, then another $5 off data.. You might get an additional $5 off wireless as well.

Remember, I think you have to have a certain calling plan to qualify like local and LD I forget exactly maybe VZ freedom

The analog channels will also be very crisp because they will originate from the ONT(Optical Network Terminal) which is mounted on the side of your house. The ONT turns the fiber signals into digital and analog via coal to the TV.

Since there is only a few feet separating the ONT and your TV there will be little interference and make bad reception on the TV.

Compare that to cable TV where the analog signal has to go through miles of coax to neighborhood node that you share with 500 of your neighbors. All that coax makes for bad reception.

rtt2 said:
The analog channels will also be very crisp because they will originate from the ONT(Optical Network Terminal) which is mounted on the side of your house. The ONT turns the fiber signals into digital and analog via coal to the TV.

Since there is only a few feet separating the ONT and your TV there will be little interference and make bad reception on the TV.

Compare that to cable TV where the analog signal has to go through miles of coax to neighborhood node that you share with 500 of your neighbors. All that coax makes for bad reception.

Well, you're essentially correct, except that most cable companies feed the neighborhood node with fiber. But you're still sharing the coax with those 500 neighbors. I had analog cable a few years ago, and I had no complaints about the signal quality. Of course, I was in a brand new housing tract, so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it.

RandallA said:
Nice! The Dish Network Latino package is $24.99, almost double the money. We want FIOS, we want FIOS.

The installation charges are outrageous though. $29.95 if you disconnect a Set Top Box. $50.00 for a service call and also for a new installation. :(

I wonder if the $24.95 charge for STB upgrade/downgrade also applies to programming changes. I hope not, because that's one of the nice things about D*, that you can change programming packages online without incurring any extra charges.

Sean Mota said:
Man,

this is heaven on earth.... Did you see the latino package priced at $12 or was I seeing things? Man... I am salivating... I need MY FIOS TV NOW>>> :bow

Cablevisions is $4.95 when you have the family package or higher

hbk409 said:
did anyone else notice there is no OLN

Yeah, I noticed that too. Not that big a deal for me, since I only ever watched it for Tour de France coverage. But it may be an issue for some people.

Maybe by the time Fios TV launches to the rest of the country, Verizon will offer OLN.

One other thing I found curious, there is no PBS Kids channel, but it *is* available via On Demand.

peterl1365 said:
Yeah, I noticed that too. Not that big a deal for me, since I only ever watched it for Tour de France coverage. But it may be an issue for some people.

Maybe by the time Fios TV launches to the rest of the country, Verizon will offer OLN.

One other thing I found curious, there is no PBS Kids channel, but it *is* available via On Demand.

i was thinking that might be a big thing for some people considering oln is going to have NHL this year

It will be nice to have another option nevertheless. Competition is good. This will bring about more offerings and keep the price in check.

hbk409 said:
i was thinking that might be a big thing for some people considering oln is going to have NHL this year

Didn't think about that but you are right. Doesn't make one bit of difference to me, since I don't watch hockey, but definitely a consideration for a lot of people.

Awesome lineup, btw... but how about the RSN in HD? I notice they do have the local TX RSN, but is there also a HD version available that is not being carried, or is there no HD RSN in TX?

Oh, and love those prices. Much cheaper for me (right now at $73 for basic "digital" plus one HD/DVR box).

-John

korsjs said:
they will have the bandwidth for it. my guess is they will have them in the future.

Yeah, the bandwidth has to be incredible. There's tons of channels in that lineup. I've never seen such a complete foreign lineup. Plus there are some standard channels in there I've never heard of before.

-John

cablewithaview said:
phone should be phone and cable should be cable.

Yeah, and AOL should be the only Internet provider, then right?

PFFT... Phone/Cable who cares. Each company is investing in a different communications medium. They can carry whatever data on that medium that they want.

Heck, why cant the wireless phone companys come up with an adapter to connect the phone to the TV for "cable" service? Yeah, might not be enough bandwidth, but hey.

Competition is a good thing, btw. And I am anxiously awaiting FIOS. Even if it were not for FIOS, I would still choose satellite/DSL over cable/cable internet. Comcast is a horrible company, and for those of us who agree, we should have the opportunity to choose another company.

-John