Fios official TV Brochure & TV Line-up

(((Heck, why cant the wireless phone companys come up with an adapter to connect the phone to the TV for "cable" service? Yeah, might not be enough bandwidth, but hey.)))

places in Europe uses wireless phone service to watch tv through a set top converter with an antenna on the back to receive it. GSM modulation does a lot of wonders to bad everyone in the U.S. isn't on the same page.

cablewithaview said:
(((Heck, why cant the wireless phone companys come up with an adapter to connect the phone to the TV for "cable" service? Yeah, might not be enough bandwidth, but hey.)))

places in Europe uses wireless phone service to watch tv through a set top converter with an antenna on the back to receive it. GSM modulation does a lot of wonders to bad everyone in the U.S. isn't on the same page.
DVB-H is coming big time next year to the US. A large cell tower operator already licensed the L-band frequency spectrum (1.6725 GHz) from the FCC and a trial is already ongoing on a large city. They made the announcement at the Intel Developer Forum last month (I was there).

I thought I had read something about that some time back and I didn't mention it because I didn't have the source handy without doing research. thanks for the info.

they aren't offering it to anybody in our city yet.. I guess they are still testing or something. Both my aunt and my uncle work for verizon and they don't know any more than I do. Back in April they told me it would be up May 1st, and end of August they told me Sep 1st. Guess what they say now, yep you guessed Oct 1st.

And when they laid the cable they only ran it to the poles they haven't even started running it to the houses yet. They say they are going to start doing that on a per subscription basis to start. Giving the size of our city they are expecting 3 years before they can get everybody hooked to premis on fiber.

korsjs said:
keep calling them. if they put it down in march, it should be very soon when you can get fios.
Very soon is still relative. I also had crews back in March/April laying fiber in my back yard. Last I heard the activation dates were around December.

My immediate areas has been completed for some time, and the backbones have long been in place since Verizon installed two separate redundant SONET rings around town, one for the "inner" city and one for the "outer". We still have a significant presence of Verizon facilities, hosting one of their call centers and at one time had their data processing center (since moved). We were a "poster city" for GTE.

My guess is that they are trying to get a significant portion wired and ready for a "triple play" package to do everything at once, instead of having to do multiple installations per house. It also cuts down on the number of customer calls when the majority of customers can get service, instead of releasing it neighborhood by neighborhood, having to tell many potential customers that they aren't eligible yet.

As to their "waiting list", it's a joke. I haven't heard of a single person that was actually notified that signed up from that list. The usual way people have found out have been word of mouth or leaflets.

korsjs said:
my bill should be around that much with phone included. i only plan on getting one hd pvr and one regular stb. i will probably only get hbo until the final movie package is ready.

When did TV and such reach 100+ bucks a month is my question. I'm sad that Voom is gone but I must say that I wasn't happy with the long term prospect of paying what I was paying. When I had Voom and DirecTV I was spending way too much money per month.

DirecTV bill = 65.00/month
Voom Bill = 110.00/month
BHN internet = 45.00/month
Phone service = 40.00/month.

I just can't believe I was paying almost 275 bucks a month with taxes and everything.

our verizon bill for last month was 99.00 last month. that is for telephone, long distance, and fios. my bright house bill was 85.00 and i am still on a semi promo. it will be nice to get that down a little with fios tv. i am scheduled to be paying full price for cable in march or april.

Longhorn,

Now that Fios is launched in Keller, can you provide any updated information on Verizon's STB's? Specifically, any idea when the 6-tuner DVR will become available? Will the HD DVR stream (SD) video to the basic STB's? Any info is useful. Verizon hasn't provided any useful information about their STB's.

peterl1365 said:
Longhorn,

Now that Fios is launched in Keller, can you provide any updated information on Verizon's STB's? Specifically, any idea when the 6-tuner DVR will become available? Will the HD DVR stream (SD) video to the basic STB's? Any info is useful. Verizon hasn't provided any useful information about their STB's.

I don't know much more about the hardware side of things that I haven't said yet. Most of the people I know are on the programmin side of things. The HD DVR will be the primary DVD and as such it will have the feature to stream both SD and HD shows to their basic digital box. Now HD will be downconverted of course to the basic digital box. The HD DVR can stream full HDTV to another room if it has an HD box or an HD DVR.

The 6 tuner HD DVR will be very very very very very very close to the upcoming DirecTV Home Media Center but it will differ in several key ways. Also keep in mind that the hardware will pretty much be the same (Motorola) but the software will be different on DirecTVs (NDS and Ucentric) while Verizons will be using Microsoft software.

Fios tv will not be not availble for a while yet(nationwide) Keller Texas is a trial area..lots of bumps to smooth out

the question is when will the update their website to show it as available in keller and the packages and lineups for keller so we can see what kind of discounts verizon phone and wireless customers get.

juan said:
Fios tv will not be not availble for a while yet(nationwide) Keller Texas is a trial area..lots of bumps to smooth out

The information I've heard is that service may become available around the end of the year, provided that Verizon has a franchise agreement in place. So, we're talking 2-4 months from today.

It should also be noted that the Keller "trial" has been going on for some time now, albeit strictly with Verizon employees.

Technologically, once Verizon has Keller fully up and running, 90% of the work for launching other cities is done. The main hurdles probably were:
1) Negotiating programming contracts
2) Getting their Super Head Ends fully operational.
3) Getting there STB's and DVR's delivered in sufficient quantities
4) Making sure their transmission from the SHE to the CO is reliable.

(1) and (2) are now in the bag. Only (3) and (4) is required to launch each new city, because I presume that Verizon has already prepped each Fios-capable CO to deliver Fios TV.

hey longhorn, verizon just released press release a couple of days ago, about adding to nj communites and I was on the list washington township mercer county, could you tell me a time frame on when, I would be getting fios and fios tv?

austen0316 said:
hey longhorn, verizon just released press release a couple of days ago, about adding to nj communites and I was on the list washington township mercer county, could you tell me a time frame on when, I would be getting fios and fios tv?

Sorry bud I only know a few local Verizon people while the other people I know are on the programming side not the hardware or rollout side of things. I would like to know when Largo gets fiber because even though I'm the only street with FIOS I will never get TV service until the City of Largo gets a franchise deal in place or the state of Florida gets a state franchise in place.