Fios Quantum DVR install

SatelliteGAL

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Amherst, NY (Buffalo suburb)
I received my Quantum DVR system yesterday and set it up. I have to say that I read the forty something pages at DSL Reports while waiting for my system.
I did the 2 VMS and 2 IPC set u so I would have 12 tuners and 2TB
I followed the installation instructions .........
You must disconnect your previous boxes completely before the install.... they dont play well together.
You start with the VMS server/s - one at a time and then the IPCs.
the install went very smooth. The only place I went wrong was that I did not choose "manual" when installing the first IPC and it selected the wrong VMS. Not a problem, after the install was done I changed it.
It booted up and everything seemed pretty normal as far as speed and function. A lot of people have said they see an improvement in the picture - more on lower end sets. I cant say for sure if I see it. I think I see more saturation but not a difference in pq.
About two hours after the install was done the unit I was watching started with audio drop outs on the channel I watching. In the process of trying to change channels the box would not respond and I had to unplug and reset the box. It took a while for it to reset and it was ok for what little time was left before I went to bed.
So, this morning I looked up a fix I remembered seeing for the audio drop outs. It was an issue mentioned on DSL reports. I did the fix and so far.... knock on wood....... it hasnt happened again. However, the problem with the box responding did happen again.... when my husband turned on the upstairs box later this am.
I started thinking that maybe it had something to do with having that box set up on one VMS and then changing it. So I did what they called a COLD reboot which reboots this VMS and then reboots the IPC as well. So far there have been no problems since then.

One of our biggest things before was a shortage of tuners for recording and that was my reason for upgrading. If we run out of tuners now I'll know we have no lives!!!!

It is really nice to have a lot of tuners, especially since broadcasters like to stagger the start and stop times of their shows enough to make it irritating.

Verizon has been bombarding me with messages to get Quantum. It's still not worth the money for me yet but a friend of mind likes it.

I very nearly left Dish for Fios TV. But I figured in the long run Dish was cheaper. And now, with several EHDs filled with programming, Dish pretty much owns me. And the Hopper is quite nice.

But I still try to keep up with Fios.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

We had a multi room dvr plus 2 dvrs and one regular hd receiver. Cost wise it was actually a slight savings. I might have waited a bit longer to upgrade but the pre order with no upgrade fee made me do it now. After a minor problem at the beginning we are happy. The new system does have faster processing.
I haven't kept up with dish costs but at the time we switched we were having a lot of problems because of moving satellites and it ended up cheaper for the triple play. We were with DISH for ... I think it was 13 years and were very happy until that time. We did see an improvement in pq but maybe that was part of the satellite issue that was going on at the time.

I also I received my Quantum DVR system this week and am experiencing the very annoying audio dropouts.
I have one VMS and 2 IPC units. One IPC is connected to a receiver via a digital optical connection. The other IPC connects to the TV with an HDMI cable where I use the TV's native sound. The VMS is also connected via an optical connection to a receiver.

I have noticed audio dropouts from both live and pre-recorded programs on both IPC units. When I rewind/replay the audio is just fine. I haven't watched the VMS hookup enough to detect audio dropouts.

I would like to know which DSL reports fix worked for you. I didn't find the audio menu noted in one posting and the splitter I am using is less than a year old and was provided by Verizon when they first installed FIOS in my house.

I haven't returned the old DVR units as yet (I had 2 of them) and if I can't get this dropout problem fixed I may return the Quantum equipment instead (and give them time to iron the bugs out).

Any advice or suggestions on how to resolve this dropout issue would be gratefully appreciated.

I really hope it works for you. My drop outs were really bad and I had the same thoughts that I would have to return the system.

This is what worked for me...........
With TV playing press stb power, ok, then menu without a pause in between. You should get a white settings screen. Arrow down to additional hdmi settings and press right arrow. On the next screen arrow to audio output. Then press right arrow until setting changes to L-PCM. Then press menu button until pic comes back.

If this is a dvr and you are recording a show, you will not be able to get into this menu

Also.......
Someone else said they changed the setting from surround sound to stereo and it worked for them.

I really hope it works for you. My drop outs were really bad and I had the same thoughts that I would have to return the system.

This is what worked for me...........
With TV playing press stb power, ok, then menu without a pause in between. You should get a white settings screen. Arrow down to additional hdmi settings and press right arrow. On the next screen arrow to audio output. Then press right arrow until setting changes to L-PCM. Then press menu button until pic comes back.

If this is a dvr and you are recording a show, you will not be able to get into this menu

Also.......
Someone else said they changed the setting from surround sound to stereo and it worked for them.

Thanks, I will try that, but...

Is your client connected to your system via an HDMI cable or some other means (e.g., optical digital cable). It is not clear to me if the HDMI settings apply to the other audio outputs.

All of my units are hdmi. I cant remember what else was in that menu so perhaps when you check it out you will see another setting.
I also ended up doing a cold boot on the same unit shortly after I did this change so perhaps that would be worth a try as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)