FiOS Questions...

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
We've had the FiOS "Triple Play" service at our new house for almost the past two weeks. With the exception of the weak HD DVR (pale in comparison to the Dish ViP622), I really like the service.

Ok, I usually research questions on multiple forums, but after a 1200+ company move I really only have time to visit one forum (this one) so I am going to ask a couple stupid questions since, as I mentioned, time is a factor until we get settled in to the new routine (still unpacking 2-3 hours each night after I get home).

1. How do you manually extended the recording time of a scheduled show? With E*, all sports were magically adjusted for overtime while the V* box cuts off the recording. My wife is mensa smart, but technologically challenged...but even she could use E* HD DVR to its full capability in a mater of minutes and without reading the book. Using my wife's "I don't read the owners manual" standard, I can tell this Motorola box is going to flying out the window if these features don't work. Hints, tips and links on recording issues would be helpful. I would will probably replace the Motorola boxes with TiVo HDs after V* makes available the multistream cablecard.

2. PS3 and the ActionTec router? The router looks "solid state" and our broadband works just fine, but occasionally my wireless PS3s will drop the network connection (very annoying) and only very seldom will my hard-wired PS3 do the same.

I apologize for being so lazy, but everyone deserves to be spoon fed every once in a while...:hatsoff:

The Fios Tv guide does not automatically pick up time extensions on sporting events unfortuanately. Your best bet is when you set up the recording tell the dvr to record 30min to 1hr after the event. This is a known issue.

We've had the FiOS "Triple Play" service at our new house for almost the past two weeks. With the exception of the weak HD DVR (pale in comparison to the Dish ViP622), I really like the service.

Ok, I usually research questions on multiple forums, but after a 1200+ company move I really only have time to visit one forum (this one) so I am going to ask a couple stupid questions since, as I mentioned, time is a factor until we get settled in to the new routine (still unpacking 2-3 hours each night after I get home).

1. How do you manually extended the recording time of a scheduled show? With E*, all sports were magically adjusted for overtime while the V* box cuts off the recording. My wife is mensa smart, but technologically challenged...but even she could use E* HD DVR to its full capability in a mater of minutes and without reading the book. Using my wife's "I don't read the owners manual" standard, I can tell this Motorola box is going to flying out the window if these features don't work. Hints, tips and links on recording issues would be helpful. I would will probably replace the Motorola boxes with TiVo HDs after V* makes available the multistream cablecard.

2. PS3 and the ActionTec router? The router looks "solid state" and our broadband works just fine, but occasionally my wireless PS3s will drop the network connection (very annoying) and only very seldom will my hard-wired PS3 do the same.

I apologize for being so lazy, but everyone deserves to be spoon fed every once in a while...:hatsoff:

The ActionTec router is a piece shyt. You are going have bridge it with another router eventually. That motorola dvr doesn't do that. So you should look to replace them with HD tivos. HD tivos do work with cablecards.

After many horrific hours trying to set up our PS3s so we can play R6V and COD4 online my friends and I set up our PS3s to have static IP in DMZ. We never had to do a thing to play SOCOM but those other online games required router changes and that was the best solution. All of us on FiOS most trashed the actiontec and dlink routers from Verizon. I upgraded to DLinks DGL-4500 and bridged my airport extreme to it.

cant help u w/ dvr

do you have the verizon hd dvr. Is there alternate hardware we can get.

Verizon is going live in my area sometime around September, and trying to figure out if I should switch.

How many TV's can the unit control.

Sorry not trying to hijack your thread but it is what I was going to name mine.

I should soon be offered Fios. I just committed to two more years with Dish, which I do not regret. If in two years, Fios has a DVR as good as the ViP722, or better yet, a whole house DVR (& Dish doesn't), then I'll consider moving over. Meanwhile, I'll have voice (which I really don't need) and hi speed internet. And be free of a cableco I dislike (their poor video service is what drove me to Dish in the first place).

I got a TiVo HD heading my way via UPS this week....took advantage of the $179 offer on tivo.com. As much as I enjoy the quality of FiOS TV, we were spoiled using our Dish Network 622s. We need a better DVR and more storage. The VOD and Widgets were a nice plus, but I can't say we'll miss them very much. Here is to hoping we learn to love the TiVo experience as much as we loved our 622s.

Navychop, to be honest...if E* would have stopped their practice of HD-Lite, we would certainly stuck with them since we loved the HD DVRs and liked the overall service. However, I had enough after waiting 2+ years. We signed up for the FiOS Triple Play, but we'll drop the phone service after our 2 year contract expires since VOIP ($199 for 2-years of service) worked just fine, and it certainly a lot less expensive than paying full-rate landline service with Verizon.

FiOS Internet: Must do...fastest and most reliable around!
FiOS TV: Best PQ around...however, HD DVRs are just as bad as cable. While TiVo is a big step up from Cable, it is also a step-down from the 622/722.
FiOS Phone: If you already have mobile phones, get Viatalk and some yourself some buckazoids!

I think in VA it's a requirement to keep the land line.

A lot can happen in two years.

I used to travel in our RV and set up a dish to keep watching while away. Fuel has kinda killed the travel, and anyway it's been years since I set up the portable dish. So that reason to stay with Dish has faded.

Well there you go, I have both a 622 and a 722. This is the unit that lets you watch the show in one room and transfer it to another to continue to watch right?

Well there you go, I have both a 622 and a 722. This is the unit that lets you watch the show in one room and transfer it to another to continue to watch right?
I have the regular HD DVR and not the multiroom version. The TiVo HD will supposedly do multiroom, but I have a HD DVR in each room so this isn't a needed feature.

So far, the TiVo HD has some nice features, but it's too slow and I don't like the remote...and I my wife actually prefers the FiOS IMG. Right now the TiVo HD is only slightly ahead of the Verizon HD DVR...and we would probably keep the FiOS box around if they would only add external storage. I doubt this will happen anytime soon.

Anyway, does anyone know if FiOS TV is planning to suport external storage anytime soon?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts