FiOS: Real Cost?

enthuzist

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 10, 2005
Virginia
As I'm nearing the lighting of FiOS in my area, I'm wondering what my true monthly cost will be For my FiOS Bundle (BEST TRIPLE PLAY - Phone + FiOS Internet + FiOS TV = $124/month online order). I know there are other "fees" to consider, but what are they? Any multiple STB discounts?

I'm looking at definitely:
Home Media DVR (HD)
(5) STB (Will be swapping one for HD later on)

Excuse my ignorance, but what is SCC?

I thought I read somewhere that if you connect the RG6 to a digital converter box, then you don't need the STB (no need for guide in kid's rooms). That may save me a few $$$.

State corporation Commission.
Verizon old me some money. They b.s. me for months, so I got the SCC involved.

I have 2 dvr 2 stb 109.99 hd package with all the movies total is 228.00 with tax and local fees.

Besides the receiver (STB, HD, DVR) and cablecard fees, and whatever movie or premium packages you wish to add, I think in Virginia you will have to pay the 5%Commonwealth/local sales and usage tax along with (typically) the 5% state-wide cable franchise fee (max). In Texas I'm pretty sure we pay another $24 per month once they taxed/fee'd the Triple Play bundle, movie pack, one DVR, and three cablecards. Texas pays higher sales and usage tax (not to mention property tax), but there is not state income tax. You'll also have to pay the 911 and other carrier taxes if you order phone service. I think I would just add up the total cost of your services (to include hardware rentals) and add 12% that will put you in the ballpark.

Here is what I'm looking at so far:

$114 - FiOS Triple Play
$19.99 - Home Media DVR
$5.99 - SD Receiver (qty TBD)
$139.98/month If kids do do not get SD Receiver
$151.96/month If kids get thier own SD Receiver (more likely my choice)

Note: add $10 if I go with the next bundle up (I may keep Netflix instead). Also add $18.30 approx. for 12% taxes.

Am I missing anything?

Here is what I'm looking at so far:

$114 - FiOS Triple Play
$19.99 - Home Media DVR
$5.99 - SD Receiver (qty TBD)
$139.98/month If kids do do not get SD Receiver
$151.96/month If kids get thier own SD Receiver (more likely my choice)

Note: add $10 if I go with the next bundle up (I may keep Netflix instead). Also add $18.30 approx. for 12% taxes.

Am I missing anything?
I was told they will either waive your internet startup fee or your equipment fees for 6 months. I think My bill is going to be about 170 dollars.

139.99 Extreme triple play with all movie packages
7.98 (2) cable cards
5.99 sd reciever rental
-5.99 sd reciever credit for 6 months

(This from a bill for 1.5 months):
Additional charges and taxes and fees:$20.38

Voice:
fed excise tax $0.26
state tax $3.21
VA Federal Universal Service Fund Surcharge $1.07
Federal Universal Service Fund Surcharge Long Distance $1.14
VA Public Rights-of-Way Use Fee $0.89
Federal Subscriber Line Charge $8.24

TV:
State Sales Tax $0.47
Comm Tax $4.17
Surcharge $0.63

I think this will be approx
140+8+20 = 168 dollars or less since I will be paying for only 30 days from now on.

Lordy look at all of those BS FEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lordy look at all of those BS FEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Most of those charges appear to be telephone related. Here's my latest bill for TV+Internet:

$79.99 HD Extreme with 20/5 Internet bundle
$21.99 HBO/Cinemax
$5.99 (2) CableCards -- grandfathered $2.99/mo price
$0.30 State Sales Tax
$3.27 VA Communications Sales Tax
$1.38 PEG Grant Fee
------------
$112.81

I use my cell, but I also have Vonage's $4.99/mo free incoming plan at home ($0.038/min for outgoing). After taxes, it runs $8-9/mo.

When my contract expires later this year, my bill will increase by $3-5 if I drop down to 15/5 Internet, and it will increase by $15/mo if I make the jump to 25/15 Internet.

Yeah those phone charges are what I left Verizon for many years ago. After a year I will have to look at dropping the phone service again. Doesnt a lot of that Bull go away if they use VOIP??? For me this vs D*+Cox+Vonage is better, with more services for the same price or slightly cheaper. Before with cox I had maybe 10/2 internet, unlimited Vonage and 2 HD DVRs + HBO for around 175 bucks I think.. With Verizon I have all of the movie channels and much faster internet + no service interruptions from rain fade as well as unencrypted channels I can backup through the TivoHD's and price control for 2 years.

Most of those charges appear to be telephone related. Here's my latest bill for TV+Internet:

$21.99 HBO/Cinemax
$0.30 State Sales Tax
$1.38 PEG Grant Fee
------------
$112.81

I use my cell, but I also have Vonage's $4.99/mo free incoming plan at home ($0.038/min for outgoing). After taxes, it runs $8-9/mo.

When my contract expires later this year, my bill will increase by $3-5 if I drop down to 15/5 Internet, and it will increase by $15/mo if I make the jump to 25/15 Internet.

My price same as yours.

So it will be the telco fees that will stack up...figures. I was thinking of going with Vonage along side the verizon as my work at home and abroad number.

Anyone heard of VZ giving discounts if you have a wireless account along with the FiOS bundle? My company is switching to VZ and I may switch the kids if it is worth it.

So it will be the telco fees that will stack up...figures. I was thinking of going with Vonage along side the verizon as my work at home and abroad number.

Anyone heard of VZ giving discounts if you have a wireless account along with the FiOS bundle? My company is switching to VZ and I may switch the kids if it is worth it.
We still have Verizon phone service with our Triple Play, but we plan to drop it and (hopefully) renew with a double-play option later this fall. I actually picked up a Viatalk prepaid VOIP plan, $199 for 2-years.

Verizon does offer a "Home Run" or whatever it's called. I know they do wireless one billing, but I do not know if it will save any money...although it would make sense to save the customer at least $5.

According to Verizon's "Bundle" site the total savings for both the Triple Play and the Triple Play and Verizon Wireless and One-Bill is $32.98. So no...there is no additional savings by bundling the mobile phone, just the convenience of One-Bill. This sucks if you ask my opinion. Customers should get $5 off for having a 450-minute plan and $10 off for having a 900-minute or higher plan.

$21.99 HBO/Cinemax
$0.30 State Sales Tax
$1.38 PEG Grant Fee
------------
$112.81

Take it with a grain of salt, but the sales people said they would renew the contract price when I was looking at FIOS. I haven't switched yet so I can't tell you if would work or not. :)

Looks like the kids will have to pay for their own phones, since they both have jobs anyway. The savings from that alone will cover the Triple Play costs.

Now my only stress is that my youngest (nine year old) private school tuition will be due soon too. That is one expense I am pround to pay. I may be okay, meaning that FiOS will not be ready until after that is due, so I'm not out too much at once (I plan on paying for a few months in advance).

There is a lot of talk about ViaTalk all over, both good and bad (some what). At that price, it deserves a serious look.

I wonder what is the next VZ pricing deal not that the netbook and/or 3 for 2 bundle deals are coming to an end this month. I know FiOS will not be ready in time here, so I am wondering what is the word for the next big deal?

They started a new promotion already, its the netbook one. I was installed at the very end of the last one that had the 150 dollar rebate CC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)