fios tampa rumors

peterl1365 said:
I currently pay:

$28.xx for Verizon landline
$40.00 for Fios 15/2
$49.95 for D* TC+ w/ no premiums
$20.00 for long distance calls (give or take, with Bigredwire.com)

That adds up to $138 per month, including taxes. Now, my fios is a promotional rate, as is my D* service, so to make a fair comparison, that total should be more like $159 per month.

So, I'd basically be paying about $25 a month more for an HD MRV DVR system, more premium channels than I could possibly watch and unlimited long distance plus caller-ID et al, all on one bill. And it sounds like I could probably lower that bill by about $40 or so if I didn't get the premium channels and the HD package.

I could probably live with that.

By the way, the Verizon Freedom package is not VOIP. It uses your existing telephones.

That sounds about right on features and pricing. Also if your currently using fiber internet I would check your phone service because even though it uses your existing phone lines its connected via fiber on your ONT. Your ONT has a battery to allow the phone to work when the power goes out. Very good chances are that your phone service is now run as a VoIP based service.

All fiber connections for phone in the future will be VoIP based and as such will need power to keep phone service working. With your fiber phone service if you lost power for more than half a day very good chances you have that your phone won't work anymore.

peterl1365 said:
LonghornXP,

One more question if you don't mind.

The D* HMC is rumored to be a Motorola box using Ucentric middleware. The Fios DVR server is supposed to be a Motorola box as well. Both will have a total of 6 tuners (although the D* box has 4 digital and 2 OTA, whereas the Verizon presumably would be all digital).

Are we talking about basically the same hardware platform here?

Overall the platform will be the same. The boxes would be a different design with different software. And yes the Verizon box won't have an OTA tuner for HDTV signals. Also the Verizon box won't be using Ucentric software. Everything on the Verizon box software wise will be Microsoft.

I can say that at least in my area my phone service is VoIP based. Again even though my existing phone lines are being used I had no phone service when we had that hurricane problem last year. My power was out for 6 days and my phone service was dead not because the lines went down but because I had no power. My ONT kept it working for about 4-5 hours and that was it.

LonghornXP said:
I can say that at least in my area my phone service is VoIP based. Again even though my existing phone lines are being used I had no phone service when we had that hurricane problem last year. My power was out for 6 days and my phone service was dead not because the lines went down but because I had no power. My ONT kept it working for about 4-5 hours and that was it.

Yes, Fios does require AC power from your house, but only because the fiber cable cannot supply power. The ONT, for all intents and purposes, supplies analog service to your telephones. It very well may be that the fiber link to the CO is VOIP, but unlike vonage or Voicewing, you do not need a special interface box for your telephones. The ONT serves that purpose.

This also means that voice quality won't suffer if your data link is saturated.

LonghornXP said:
Overall the platform will be the same. The boxes would be a different design with different software. And yes the Verizon box won't have an OTA tuner for HDTV signals. Also the Verizon box won't be using Ucentric software. Everything on the Verizon box software wise will be Microsoft.

Very interesting. Motorola may wind up owning the DVR market. I wonder what wall street thinks about this.

peterl1365 said:
Yes, Fios does require AC power from your house, but only because the fiber cable cannot supply power. The ONT, for all intents and purposes, supplies analog service to your telephones. It very well may be that the fiber link to the CO is VOIP, but unlike vonage or Voicewing, you do not need a special interface box for your telephones. The ONT serves that purpose.

This also means that voice quality won't suffer if your data link is saturated.

Everything you said is correct but your still failing to understand that the system works as a VoIP system and not as a Pots system. Because of this you get the one major drawback that VoIP has and that is no phone service when fiber as a whole goes down and when the power goes out and the battery on the ONT goes dead. Please call a Verizon tech at customer service and hear it from them. I know this is true because I've had fiber for about 8 months maybe longer and I have dealt with the bad sides of phone service over fiber.

LonghornXP said:
Everything you said is correct but your still failing to understand that the system works as a VoIP system and not as a Pots system. Because of this you get the one major drawback that VoIP has and that is no phone service when fiber as a whole goes down and when the power goes out and the battery on the ONT goes dead. Please call a Verizon tech at customer service and hear it from them. I know this is true because I've had fiber for about 8 months maybe longer and I have dealt with the bad sides of phone service over fiber.

You are absolutely correct about the way Fios phone service works. We're just disagreeing about a semantic difference in the definition of VOIP.

In a sense, there is no such thing as POTS anymore. The old system of telephone circuits was long ago replaced by a network of fiberoptics, microwave repeaters and ATM switches. Your phone call isn't even transmitted as a signal anymore, just a bunch of packets that gets reconstructed at the other end (some local telephone calls excepted). What most people think of as POTS is simply a fiber system where the ONT is at the CO. The CO maintains a battery backup and emergency generator to provide power to your analog loop. All Fios has done is moved that demarcation point to your home.

I contrast that to what I consider VOIP. To me, VOIP is the elimination of the analog loop altogether.

In either event, I think we agree more than disagree. One key point however, with Fios, when you call 911, there will be no confusion about where you are. And Fios telephone service will work even if your router is dead. Also, at least Verizon provides the battery backup unit. How many people who currently use VOIP have bothered to install a UPS.

This is the main reason I'm okay with Fios but not with VOIP. I've got two little kids, and I am much more comfortable with Fios than with VOIP. Granted, our electricity has only gone out (unexpectedly) once in the last 3 years, and it was only for 3 hours or so. We don't have the nasty storms that you have in FL.

peterl1365 said:
You are absolutely correct about the way Fios phone service works. We're just disagreeing about a semantic difference in the definition of VOIP.

In a sense, there is no such thing as POTS anymore. The old system of telephone circuits was long ago replaced by a network of fiberoptics, microwave repeaters and ATM switches. Your phone call isn't even transmitted as a signal anymore, just a bunch of packets that gets reconstructed at the other end (some local telephone calls excepted). What most people think of as POTS is simply a fiber system where the ONT is at the CO. The CO maintains a battery backup and emergency generator to provide power to your analog loop. All Fios has done is moved that demarcation point to your home.

I contrast that to what I consider VOIP. To me, VOIP is the elimination of the analog loop altogether.

In either event, I think we agree more than disagree. One key point however, with Fios, when you call 911, there will be no confusion about where you are. And Fios telephone service will work even if your router is dead. Also, at least Verizon provides the battery backup unit. How many people who currently use VOIP have bothered to install a UPS.

This is the main reason I'm okay with Fios but not with VOIP. I've got two little kids, and I am much more comfortable with Fios than with VOIP. Granted, our electricity has only gone out (unexpectedly) once in the last 3 years, and it was only for 3 hours or so. We don't have the nasty storms that you have in FL.

I agree 100% with what you have just said I just wanted to make sure you understood that things won't be working the sameway anymore. Oh and yes in Florida its a little more important to have power for your phone if power goes out for several days. IMO this small drawback is well worth a better service and lower bill now and into the future.

I just noticed last night that an entire thread has been started over at broadbandreports about my posts in this thread so I'm glad that tons of people are interested in FIOS TV. That only helps us consumers having tons of people. I will do my best to post the same information on both sites. If people over at broadbandreports want to register on this site that is fine but I don't feel that they should have to come on this site for this news. I believe that information is power and the more people that have information the better off we all will be. If we have new members on this site from Broadband reports I along with the staff will welcome you and if you would rather just browse we are glad to have you browsing away.

I will be posting in this thread as a second post below this one my entire first post on broadband reports because I added more specific informtion to avoid confusion. Sorry if this post made everything more confused because I tend to have this happen if you know me well enough.

This is my first post from Broadband reports.

"I'm the LonghornXP over at satelliteguys and I've been viewing this site for several weeks and now that it seems that FIOS TV service is starting to move along I felt it best if I signed up. Since you have indeed read my posts I will assume that you are updated with what I've said.

Now to start with when others are comparing a basic DTivo box that is an SD box you must remember that your buying that box and most likely paying the mirror fee of 4.99/month plus the DVR fee per account of 5.99/month. Now SD DVR boxes from Verizon will be rental boxes and will cost a total of 9.95/month per DVR box. Verizon will not be charging a seperate DVR service fee so 9.95 will be 9.95. Currently HD boxes and HD DVR boxes have upfront costs except with cable companies. Also D* will be renting to own HD DVR boxes and their upcoming Media Center box.

The server box with six tuners is coming but what isn't known is if this will come with two drives as raid or just one drive.

The bundle I was talking about doesn't have a catch and these prices are regular prices (they could be cheaper if they have a promo). Now if you currently have Verizon Pots phone service you must not count this cost into the new bundle because the bundle that has unlimited long distance in it will become your new phone package.

So in the example I gave this is what you would pay as a regular price.

180-185 bucks a month including all fees and taxes.
This includes every TV channel they offer including all HDTV and digital channels. This also includes again all premium channels and all on demand channels as well.

This price is based on rental fees for three HD DVR boxes costing about 14 bucks a month each.

This bundle also includes the Verizon Freedom package which gives you unlimited local, regional and long distance calling to anywhere in the USA and Canada.

Last but not least this bundle includes FIOS internet with speeds of 15Mbps down and 2Mbps UP. You can lower your bill by getting a basic TV package or getting a slower internet plan or by lowering down your phone service. But you will get the most in bundled discounts with this plan above. Now if you have Verizon cell phone service and you add it to this bundle expect an even bigger discount.

So lets compare now.

Say you pay 30.00/month for Verizon Pots phone service.
Say you pay another 44.95/month for road runner internet.
Say you pay another 140.00/month for all the DirecTV services without any HD DVRs this is just programming without considering hardware costs.

So if you have all of this above you now pay 215.00/month with no HD DVR boxes, slower internet and no unlimited long distance service.

Say if I switch out DirecTV and add Bright House Networks discount which I pay today. This is the closest match.

Right now I pay 30.00/month for Verizon basic phone package.
I get Road Runner for 44.95/month. Now my cable TV package has all premium channels, all HD channels, all On Demand channels plus three HD DVR boxes. My price for the internet and cable TV service with BHN is 205.00/month with taxes rounded just about a buck higher. So right now to get the same service without all the HD channels, without Starz On Demand, no all digital lineup and no unlimited long distance with BHN it costs me about 50.00 more per month.

That to me is a little more than a savings this is a huge savings. I'm also hearing that DirecTV is now or soon will be talking with all premium channel providers for a deal like this. For DirecTV to get Cinemax HD, TMC HD and Starz HD they must pretty much work out a new deal with them. Now would be a great time to get all these deals done so they can compete before its too late.

Sorry for the very long post and any questions I'll answer on this site or on satguys as soon as I can. I can't wait for FIOS TV. Also keep in mind I have a few contacts with DirecTV so I always try to keep everyone as informed as I can."

LonghornXP said:
I'd say most people can sign up after the first of the year. It might be quicker but from what I'm hearing my gut says right after the holidays. Now this only applies to the Tampa Bay Area so other areas might be quicker or later.

Take this for what it's worth, but the Verizon guys that installed my Fios service last week told me that the holdup for Fios TV (aside from franchising issues) was that Verizon is still negotiating programming content. If I recall, Keller, TX was supposed to begin trials earlier this summer, but that's been delayed until at least September. This delay seems to make sense if Verizon's programming package isn't quite complete.

I'm hoping that Fios TV is launched in my city (Murrieta, CA) before the end of the year. Murrieta was one of the first four cities (along with Keller ande Huntington Beach, CA) that Verizon started cabling for Fios because the city government basically begged Verizon to do so. There are a lot of homes and businesses here that cannot get broadband, and the city realized that this was a major problem. That being the case, I cannot see how the city would deny Verizon a TV franchise.

LonghornXP said:

Have you heard any feedback, good or bad, about the Microsoft software? I'm a little concerned that Fios TV would be the first large deployment of the Microsoft TV platform. After all, how many people actually liked Windows until version 3.0? That said, the Microsoft platform looks like it will be able to do some pretty amazing things in the future.

How about the Motorola platform? The reviews of the Motorola DCT-6412 being used by Comcast have generally been pretty mediocre. Hard to say if the problems are hardware of software based. A lot of times, software has to be written to overcome hardware limitations, and the software is blamed.

Sorry if I'm being pesky. I'm like you. I feel like a little kid at a few weeks before Christmas wondering what's going to show up under the tree.

peterl1365 said:
Have you heard any feedback, good or bad, about the Microsoft software? I'm a little concerned that Fios TV would be the first large deployment of the Microsoft TV platform. After all, how many people actually liked Windows until version 3.0? That said, the Microsoft platform looks like it will be able to do some pretty amazing things in the future.

How about the Motorola platform? The reviews of the Motorola DCT-6412 being used by Comcast have generally been pretty mediocre. Hard to say if the problems are hardware of software based. A lot of times, software has to be written to overcome hardware limitations, and the software is blamed.

Sorry if I'm being pesky. I'm like you. I feel like a little kid at a few weeks before Christmas wondering what's going to show up under the tree.

The motorola box will be a different design and chipset from their current boxes so nothing is known right now about the hardware quality. The Microsoft software has been rolled out in several Comcast areas and it seems that things have been going very well. With that said its hard to say much at this point because the few areas that have Microsoft software are very controlled so nothing is really in the mass market to allow mass bugs.

I found this info on the Microsoft TV platform. Lot's of information here:

Microsoft TV Platform

Looks very exciting. One thing that caught my eye that will be very nice is in the following datasheet:

Foundation Edition Datasheet
"Faster DVR Channel Changing
Background buffering virtually eliminates the delay associated with changing channels"

This was always one of my pet peeves with satellite and digital cable.

It also looks to me like the MS platform will allow for incremental upgrades to IPTV in the future. So, you might have a couple hundred "standard" TV channels, and maybe a dozen or so IP channels. Coupled with VOD, this could be best of both worlds. Seems like a much more sensible solution than a full IPTV system that SBC is rumored to be working on.

LonghornXP said:
The motorola box will be a different design and chipset from their current boxes so nothing is known right now about the hardware quality. The Microsoft software has been rolled out in several Comcast areas and it seems that things have been going very well. With that said its hard to say much at this point because the few areas that have Microsoft software are very controlled so nothing is really in the mass market to allow mass bugs.

LonghornXP:

Earlier in this thread I repeated a rumor that the D* HMC was going to be a motorola box. However, for the life of me I can't remember where I heard that rumor. Can you confirm or deny? The early speculation back in January was that the HMC was being built by NDS. Am I just completely misinformed here?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)