FIOS Upgrade Schedule

*mad_professor*

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 9, 2004
Covina, CA
Does anyone know where I can find out when my area is scheduled to be upgraded to FIOS? It might help me decide if I want to commit to a 2 year contract with DirecTV. ;)

Swishallnet said:
You might want to hold off on that 2 year commitment. I have a Fios install here in Chino, CA next week 8/31/05.

The two-year commitment is basically low to no-risk. I believe you have the option of returning all your equipment to have the termination fee waived. If you wind up switching to FiosTV, then I doubt you'll have any use for your DirecTV receivers/DVR's.

Also, the early termination fee is pro-rated. The fee goes down by 1/24th every month you are into the contract. So, your worst case scenario is a $300 ETF, if you insist on keeping your "free" equipment. That fee goes down by $12.50 every month. Chances are, you'll save at least that much by switching away from cable.

Just make sure that if you go with DirecTV, you don't sign any auxiliary agreements with the installer/reseller etc. The terms on those agreements are usually much stricter.

I think I know why they have a pro-rated chargeback, so that you can figure that it would be cheaper to stay with them compared to paying another $25 per month for the rest of the term if you switched providers.

Stargazer said:
I think I know why they have a pro-rated chargeback, so that you can figure that it would be cheaper to stay with them compared to paying another $25 per month for the rest of the term if you switched providers.

Actually, I think the entired pro-rated balance is due at the time of cancellation, nor per month for the rest of the term. Additionally, if I recall correctly, the fee is $12.50 per month for each month remaining in the contract.

I think this is basically fair. If I've satisfied 22 months of a 2 year contract, DirecTV will have recouped more of their investment in signing me up compared to the guy that cancels after 3 months. It is reasonable that, if all else were equal, I should pay a lower ETF than he should.

Compare this to E*, which has a flat ETF for the entire contract term. Although I believe both D* and E* will waive the ETF if you return all their equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)