Fios wiring problem?

AntAltMike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 28, 2005
Last week, I got a call from a condominium manager who told me that Verizon had checked out the suitability of making FIOS available in his building, which is 12 stories tall and has maybe a dozen residential units on each floor, with cable closets at both ends of the building (it is long and narrow).

He said that Verizon claims it cannot give his building their "full service" because the home runs would have to go around too many corners, so all they can put in is some scaled-down product that goes from the cable closets to the residential units using the existing twisted pairs, and the subscribers would not have access to all of Verizon's FIOS services.

Has anyone ever heard of this? There are 45 degree bends in the hallway so that it doesn't look like a long alley, but even the longest run to a middle apartment would be less than 200 feet long, incurring no more than four, 45 degree bends if it was wired either in cove moulding or track moulding.

I have advised him to tell Verizon to go jump in the lake. It seems to me that if Verizon can get in this building on the cheap and harvest the low hanging fruit, meaning the customers that might be satisfied with whatever this limited system is, then Verizon will NEVER deem it to be worth the capital cost to upgrade the entire building just to pick up a few, more demanding customers.

Last week, I got a call from a condominium manager who told me that Verizon had checked out the suitability of making FIOS available in his building, which is 12 stories tall and has maybe a dozen residential units on each floor, with cable closets at both ends of the building (it is long and narrow).

He said that Verizon claims it cannot give his building their "full service" because the home runs would have to go around too many corners, so all they can put in is some scaled-down product that goes from the cable closets to the residential units using the existing twisted pairs, and the subscribers would not have access to all of Verizon's FIOS services.

Has anyone ever heard of this? There are 45 degree bends in the hallway so that it doesn't look like a long alley, but even the longest run to a middle apartment would be less than 200 feet long, incurring no more than four, 45 degree bends if it was wired either in cove moulding or track moulding.

I have advised him to tell Verizon to go jump in the lake. It seems to me that if Verizon can get in this building on the cheap and harvest the low hanging fruit, meaning the customers that might be satisfied with whatever this limited system is, then Verizon will NEVER deem it to be worth the capital cost to upgrade the entire building just to pick up a few, more demanding customers.

They do have reduced bend-radius fiber, but I'm sure it costs more. INNOINSTRUMENT

Sounds like VDSL, which is deployed in some high-rise buildings. I think speeds of up to 100 Mbps can be had with VDSL and TV should be fine. Sucks that you guys can't have fiber into each unit with your own ONT, but VDSL FIOS is better than none at all IMO. Good luck!

A review by a FIOS VDSL subscriber:

http://www.dslreports.com/comment/2568/66717

Plenty of write ups on it with a google search of FIOS VDSL!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)