firewire

oberon

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
Anyone know when brighthouse will be turning on the firewire ports on the sa8300hd box or what box they provide that have them turned on?

Anyone know when brighthouse will be turning on the firewire ports on the sa8300hd box or what box they provide that have them turned on?

On the SA3250HD and the PACE box.

They have tried for over a year to figure out how to get it working properly on the SA8300HD but I suspect a fire to be lit very shortly on that.

looks like firewire works in sara 1.88 but we are still stuck at 1.87

looks like firewire works in sara 1.88 but we are still stuck at 1.87

They will be forced to turn them on in 1Q 2007 with the new firmware upgrade that they MUST install. If they were not forced to do the firmware upgrade, we'd still be asking this question because for all intensive purposes, they have not done a firmware upgrade since they rolled out the SA8300HD boxes.

I was told the reason and was half asleep when I was told - iirc, its because of the change in DST that happens in 2007 so the firmware update is mandatory.

okay, some nice kind person wanna bread down what this means in simple terms, please? thanks!!

What he is saying that In his area (I think he said he is in Bradenton area?) They will be doing a firmware upgrade on their boxes. When this update happens, the new firmware should enable the firewire part.

We just had an update on our boxes, although I havent checked to see what the update was. All I know is that it caused serious problems with the DMI and HDMI ports! Particularly the Pace boxes.

See my other thread about the firmware update they pushed in my area.

okay, some nice kind person wanna bread down what this means in simple terms, please? thanks!!

It means the firewire ports have not worked on the SA 8300HD boxes because the firmware was not updated to a version that supported the firewire connection.

BHN is hesitant to push out firmware updates unless they absolutely must be pushed out because often 1) it breaks other things as witnessed in the above post or 2) it always results in some number of boxes not taking the update properly and effectively kills them - not unlike what happens when you update the bios in a computer motherboard - or satellite IRD - which is why they say not to unplug or disturb it while it is flashing the bios.

Daylight Savings Time is being moved next year and the firmware has to be updated prior to the start - just as Windows had to release a patch to recalculate it properly - so BHN has no choice but to update the firmware prior to the start of DST in the Spring.

off topic but when is daylight savings time being moved to next year?

http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/b.html

"Since 1966, most of the United States has observed Daylight Saving Time from at 2:00 a.m. on the first Sunday of April to 2:00 a.m. on the last Sunday of October. Beginning in 2007, most of the U.S. will begin Daylight Saving Time at 2:00 a.m. on the second Sunday in March and revert to standard time on the first Sunday in November. In the U.S., each time zone switches at a different time."

http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/b.html

"Since 1966, most of the United States has observed Daylight Saving Time from at 2:00 a.m. on the first Sunday of April to 2:00 a.m. on the last Sunday of October. Beginning in 2007, most of the U.S. will begin Daylight Saving Time at 2:00 a.m. on the second Sunday in March and revert to standard time on the first Sunday in November. In the U.S., each time zone switches at a different time."
HDTV I really like your signature.

Was told today they had to have the firmware in place during February - no ifs ands or buts.

They are scared SH**L*SS as they have such a huge number of DVRs out in the field now and think the failures will be a big number because of the large difference in firmware code (you notice motherboard makers usually don't advise bios upgrades with large steps in builds).

They don't like pushing out new firmware as a certain percent always die in the process - and by delaying it - they have put off judgement day.