firing up the BUD questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

fj45lvr

Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
I have not used my dish for 9 years or so and have once again moved out of town (out of cable) and the house I have already has a C-band dish outside.

I have not used my IRD for 9 years, it is a Panasonic PS-700EX with videocipher II+ module. Does anyone know if there is a battery inside the module or the IRD that would not be good any longer after sitting unplugged for so long???

I have some issues with it as far as either the IRD or PULSE SENSOR as I have removed the arm from the actuator motor and connected it directly to the IRD with short 8" wires (I have 2 old actuator motor assemblies) and the unit will sometimes move like it should but then all of a sudden stops with an error and will not move correctly. When it moves correctly the motor and position numbers flow smoothly and then at times it moves real choppy clicking along and then it sometimes it just errors and doesn't move (it will only then move a short distance one direction and then back the other (I assume it is not getting a pulse which either means a bad sensor?? or an IRD problem??

Also it seems that the two old servo motors for the horizontal/vertical skew are bad as well or the IRD is screwing up moving them as well as the servos move only slightly when connected directly to the back of the IRD. On the FEED HORN they only click and the needle though able to turn easily doesn't move. Do you think this is common for 9 yr old servos or could it be an additional problem with the IRD itself?? If you put a meter on the the wire for the Actuator pulse and the Servo motor I wonder what it should read if it is getting the proper power??

I am very concerned about the IRD since it has been sitting so long and it has such a large circuitry. Should I take it in to a shop and have them see if it works for their equiptment??

Also if the battery on the module is dead will they recharge or are they available to easily replace by popping in or soldering in??

Thanks

JB

fj45lvr said:
videocipher II+ module. Does anyone know if there is a battery inside the module or the IRD that would not be good any longer after sitting unplugged for so long???

Also if the battery on the module is dead will they recharge or are they available to easily replace by popping in or soldering in??

Don't know about the IRD.

There is a battery in the VC2. Once it dies, the serial # is lost and can't be recovered, the module is trash. If it hasn't died yet, it's possible to replace the battery, if done properly.

Your VCII+ should still be ok, if not a new one can be had cheap, if it is still ok you can replace the battery:
http://www.pacificsites.com/~alanjudd/VCII.htm

I would not really consider repair if your IRD is bad, you may as well get a 4dtv:
http://www.callnps.com/4dtv.htm (best deal for the 4d with programming)
http://skyvision.com/store/399_4dtv.html (best deal for the 4d with a HDD 200)

What size dish do you have?
Is it damaged?
Does it have c/ku?
You will love the system when you get it up and running, and 4dtv on a c/ku system with a slaved DVB is simply the best.

"Also it seems that the two old servo motors for the horizontal/vertical skew are bad as well or the IRD is screwing up moving them as well as the servos move only slightly when connected directly to the back of the IRD. On the FEED HORN they only click and the needle though able to turn easily doesn't move. Do you think this is common for 9 yr old servos or could it be an additional problem with the IRD itself?? If you put a meter on the the wire for the Actuator pulse and the Servo motor I wonder what it should read if it is getting the proper power??"
The servos are bad...I had the same problem. The servos are cheap enough and easy to replace. Take a bad one apart and you'll find a 'transmission' full of plastic gears and these wear to the point that they slip.
The motor runs on 5-6 volts according to my Uniden manual and it's turned off by the IRD after the servo reaches the H or V position, signalled by a pulse on the 3rd wire.
Easiest way to test the IRD would be to find someone with a working system, set the working system to a clear (non subscription) channel on G5, G1 or AMC10, and connect the antenna line to your receiver - use a small TV to see the output of the IRD. If you get a picture and sound the IRD is working.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)