First 3-D TV Channels from DirecTV Available in June

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So how much bandwidth does this type of stuff take when shown ?

Is this what D12 will be used for ?
IF so, hopefully just a small portion.

I could see it now... DirecTV announcing a new NFL Sunday Ticket "Ultrafan" package, with every game in 3D, for only an additional $199.

What's the schedule look like? "Bwana Devil" with endless repeats? And where can I buy extra $75 glasses in case I want to brag on the neighbors?

Yep, I'm pretty sure D12 is ONLY going to be used for two 3D channels, even thought they keep saying something about having 200 nationwide HD channels coming soon.

Surprisingly, from a few articles I've read, the new TV's are coming with a few pairs !

That's true, but they only give you 2 pair. From what I've heard, the glasses are totally different than the ones that are given out at the theaters. Extra glasses will list for $75 a piece. I suppose someone will start knocking off a cheap imitation. So, if you want to have a Super Bowl party, you might have to lay out $750 for 10 extra pair.

Since i just recently bought a new Samsung 46" LED, I won't be in the market for one of these 3D sets for a long time to come. Also, when I'm watching TV, I like to have a magazine or something to look at occasionally and wearing a pair of 3D glasses won't cut the mustard unless I could get a prescription pair.

That's true, but they only give you 2 pair. From what I've heard, the glasses are totally different than the ones that are given out at the theaters. Extra glasses will list for $75 a piece. I suppose someone will start knocking off a cheap imitation. So, if you want to have a Super Bowl party, you might have to lay out $750 for 10 extra pair.

Since i just recently bought a new Samsung 46" LED, I won't be in the market for one of these 3D sets for a long time to come. Also, when I'm watching TV, I like to have a magazine or something to look at occasionally and wearing a pair of 3D glasses won't cut the mustard unless I could get a prescription pair.

I too have a fairly new 60" Pioneer Elite and won't be changing anytime soon.
I'm DONE buying TV's for awhile :)

Okay boys...we get it....a lot of us have recently purchased some fairly expensive equipment and are not going to be shelling out for more anytime soon..but...I for one don't think that that in itself should stop D* from offering what ever is coming up on the horizon. For those that have these new fangle 3D Tvs, at least they will have something to look at. I have not seen a football game in 3D like they had at the theaters, I am curious to how that went so if anyone has, lets hear it. I have to tell you, if it is GREAT, I wouldn't mind paying for that fictional NFL ST ULTRA HD Yadda Yadda package. Now getting another set...no, but all the power to those that have.

Samsungs 3D glasses are more than 75.00 and so are Sony's:

Samsung’s electronic shutter 3D glasses will come in three versions: One powered with a replaceable coin-sized battery ($150), another with an internal rechargeable battery ($200) and a smaller set of rechargeable glasses for children ($180). Note, however, that two pairs of glasses and a 3D Blu-ray movie come free with each new Samsung 3D TV.

Yeah, I'll be buying into this real:bow:bow:bow soon

And Sony' mentioning $100 price range. 2 free with the sets that include the built in emitter. I've got to talk my wife into my 46" XBR9 so I can give my daughter her 40V2500.:D

Mits is supposed to have an external adapter to allow my 73" DLP RP to work with this new 3D system for approx $100. If that's true and then a pair of glasses I might give it a shot since DirecTV will have a software upgrade along with Sony for the PS3 to add 3D support.

I liked the DirecTv demo at CES, and will likely get one down the road, but I just received a 1080p FPTV Friday so it will be awhile... as for the glasses, I've worn since I was about 8 so I am used to and would get the prescription ones...

OK, first off let me start by saying I love new technology. I have always been into TV's, Sat TV, Sat radio, computers.......etc, I believe you get the picture. BUT I have become really confused on the 3-D craze.

I have(like we all have) seen tons of stuff in 3-D, from DVD purchased for the kids to the 3 and 4-D movies Busch Gardens have showing at their parks, but what I am missing here? I have read article after article and post after post on how much 3-D TV is the up and coming or at least gaining speed.

I personally could care less to grab a pair of 3-D glasses to watch a move or sporting event......blah, blah, blah because to me 3-D is not that big of a deal, but again, that's just me.

What is everyone else's take? Is 3-D that big of a deal to you? Does anyone other than me think it will never be main stream? Maybe their not trying to go main stream anyway. I'm all about new technology, but I think I'm missing this one.

All I can say is that I'm with you on this one. I'm not in any hurry for home 3D. My 2D 50" Panny Plasma is awesome for me and is only 2 yrs old. My home ent Sony Rec'vr isn't 1.4 HDMI compatible and I'm not parting with that rev'cr anytime soon.

My question still is, what's the approx U.S. household penetration # for 2D HDTV's? Have we even hit 60% yet?

Home 3D's suited for cutting-edge consumers, imo, and that's great for them, but imo, the major mfg'rs may be overestimating home 3D mainstream mkt #'s.

I'll be enjoying my 2D HD setup for several years to come.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)