First day with ATT and the HTC Inspire 4G

The Insider

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
The Swamp
Well first off I am coming from T-Mobile and a MyTouch 3g Slide to compare.

So far aside from the fact I was getting "unlimited" data with T-Mobile, the pricing seems cheaper for us with ATT vs T-Mobile (even though with T-Mobile we had more "mins" with ATT and the "any mobile anytime" and "ten friends" we will hardly use ANY regular mins.)

So Price wise I think ATT gets a slight nudge.

As far as the phone so far the phone is extremely nice. Great screen, fast cpu plenty of ram and space etc. So over all the phone is nice. Compared to the MyTouch Slide this is a big improvement (although I will miss the slide out keyboard) HOWEVER. With ATTs bloatware and garbage they add to the phone this is a minus. Plus the fact ATT removed the ability to install non-market apps (which is easily overcome with the AC app) however I should not have to do anything special just to install non-market apps. ATT being controlling and I dont like it. I prefer T-Mobiles more customer friendly approach.

So in this category its a toss up. While the phone is better, ATT screws it up.

Lets look at network quality.

My MyTouch slide is a 3g phone, and on tmobiles network running tests just now I avg about 3MBIT down. The ATT inspire is a "4g" phone and I have yet to get past 2Mbit in the same location. (Tmobile phone is still active and running tests side by side) Its pretty sad that the T-Mobile 3g network blows away the att 4g network and I am sure I am using 4g as I have the "H+" logo on my att phone. Now ATTs 3g network is MUCH larger then T-Mobiles, so is there standard coverage area.

So again its a toss up between the two as I have only tested the ATT phone on one tower (at my home) and the Tmobile phone does have slower speeds elsewhere.

So at home the Tmobile network wins but we will see how it fares elsewhere as I think the size of the ATT network will outweigh the slight speed issues I have at home (which of course I will be on wifi at home anyway. )

I cant really go on anything else yet, customer service wise the guy at the ATT store was extremely nice and helpful. He waived the activation fees for us, and got us all set up with my corp discount (which is a bit less then I got with Tmobile but still decent).

I do regret not waiting another 6-12 months before swtiching to see how LTE was going but I needed a new phone carrier asap as I had it with T-Mobile (charging me 400$ for aphone I returned) but thats another issue. Been a customer since 2003 and did a phone swap recently they say they did not receive the phone back and wanted to charge me 400$ for it. But thats another story.

I will be very interested to hear more of your opinions on the Inspire and additional information on your testing of AT&T's 4G (3G+) network.

Are you sure you are actually getting 4g? Often the icon can be misleading, particularly comparing 3G to 3G+. My phone will often show 3G when I am in an edge area

I get faster speed on ATT 3G in my area

Last edited:
I am also very curious on the text messing of this phone. Does it support enhanced texting just like the iPhone or are you limited to the 160 characters as most other phones. This is one thing that I love about the iPhone texting. I get many pages from work and I am able to read them all as others with other phones and providers gets their messages cut off.

Insider, If you are not past your trial period with your Inspire you might consider looking at the Atrix. I just went out and looked at it today. All I can say is WOW. It is one sharp phone and the display is one of the best I have ever seen. Only downside for me was that it did not have an FM tuner included.

Are you sure you are actually getting 4g? Often the icon can be misleading, particularly comparing 3G to 3G+. My phone will often show 3G when I am in an edge area

I get faster speed on ATT 3G in my area

As far as I know the guy at the store said if it has the H+ its 4g.. Now that does not mean they have the backhaul in to support the 4g. But may simply only have the tower signal upgraded. I know all the tmobile towers in my area are setup with fiber back haul (as I installed a good few of them). So it maybe a back haul issue as to why the speeds are where they are.

And I live in Orlando area and they have a large "4g" footprint here. My home shows 4g as well.

I will be very interested to hear more of your opinions on the Inspire and additional information on your testing of AT&T's 4G (3G+) network.

Well My lady will be sticking with the inspire, found out about the "altrix" i think its called its a dual core phone, that came out wednesday, so i will be upgrading to this phone on friday. ;) The only thing I am worried about with that phone is I cant stand Moto Blur. I prefer HTC sense. So I will play with the phone friday to see if I wish to switch or not. Hopefully there will be a rom for it that will work with the hardware, so i can get a different android version. Moto Blur is horrid compared to what HTC has. (I currently am using a Moto Bravo with Moto Blur, as I wait for my Altrix)

Insider, If you are not past your trial period with your Inspire you might consider looking at the Atrix. I just went out and looked at it today. All I can say is WOW. It is one sharp phone and the display is one of the best I have ever seen. Only downside for me was that it did not have an FM tuner included.

Ha see above post. ;)

Well My lady will be sticking with the inspire, found out about the "altrix" i think its called its a dual core phone, that came out wednesday, so i will be upgrading to this phone on friday. ;) The only thing I am worried about with that phone is I cant stand Moto Blur. I prefer HTC sense. So I will play with the phone friday to see if I wish to switch or not. Hopefully there will be a rom for it that will work with the hardware, so i can get a different android version. Moto Blur is horrid compared to what HTC has. (I currently am using a Moto Bravo with Moto Blur, as I wait for my Altrix)

If you are wanting to due custom roms then the Atrix might not be the phone for you. It has a locked bootloader so there is a good chance that you will never see any roms for this phone. The nice part is that they have already uncovered ways to obtain root access on the phone.

If you are wanting to due custom roms then the Atrix might not be the phone for you. It has a locked bootloader so there is a good chance that you will never see any roms for this phone. The nice part is that they have already uncovered ways to obtain root access on the phone.

The bootloader on my Droid X is locked, but there are roms for it; I haven't bothered, but there are always alternatives.

Ever since I got a tablet, my Droid usage has gone down.

rockymtnhigh said:
The bootloader on my Droid X is locked, but there are roms for it; I haven't bothered, but there are always alternatives.

Ever since I got a tablet, my Droid usage has gone down.

I know there could be roms, but they have not gotten that far with the device yet. I figure that root is all I will need to be happy.

I know there could be roms, but they have not gotten that far with the device yet. I figure that root is all I will need to be happy.

Thanks to XDA i rooted the phone in under 5mins the min i got it home. Cant stand ATTs restrictions on side loading etc. Also set it up so I can tether with wifi.

They are workign on the roms, luckily they are not encrypted like the droid phones but rather simply signed. So they will be easier to crack and easier to install.

So far the phone is amazingly powerful and the battery on this dual core is BETTER then that of my old mytouch slide. Of course its a bigger battery motorla was smart putting a high capacity battery in the phone. So far over 24 hours with normal use and not even below 50%. My slide would need to charge daily, and that was even brand new.

But I cant STAND MotoBlur. I miss HTC Sense so bad. My ladies Inspire is so much nicer looking (as far as OS) Even with launcher pro.. But once custom roms are available I think this phone will be great. It certainly is a phone that will last a while. It could easily support the next 2-3 big releases of android.

Plus it has HDMI output and the cord came with the phone which is a plus.

Root was very easy on the Atrix. Rooting it was the fist thing I did after deinstalling the AT&T software that I did not want or need. This is one thing that I did like. AT&T made it really easy to deinstall the extra software without even needing to root the device. I actually am getting used to Moto Blur. It is not as bad as I thought it would be. But then again, I am not a big widget person. I like just having the icons out that I use most. The rest can just remain within the main app window.

Jason, I want to hear your thoughts on the Atrix, since I plan on getting the Bionic when it comes out.

Jason, I want to hear your thoughts on the Atrix, since I plan on getting the Bionic when it comes out.

So far I really like the Atrix. It is one of the fastest phones that I have had so far. One thing that I really like but is not on the Bionic is the fingerprint reader. I really like the ability to use it to unlock the phone. Root was very easy on the phone as well even though I have had to revert back to a non rooted device for work. I will really be interested in how well this baby will run once Gingerbread and IceCream is released for it. The newer OS's will work with the multiple cores better as time goes by. I also think that the Atrix has a sweet spot for screen size at 4". I have had a 4.3" device before and it just was way to big. It is surprising how much a difference the .3" makes. The other piece that I am waiting for is for the FM tuner to be enabled within the Atrix. It has the hardware from what I have read but does not have the software on the phone to make it function.

I believe the only roms you can get are the ones thats based on ASOP. So that means no sense. Thats another reason why I would never buy a motorola smart phone

So far I really like the Atrix. It is one of the fastest phones that I have had so far. One thing that I really like but is not on the Bionic is the fingerprint reader. I really like the ability to use it to unlock the phone. Root was very easy on the phone as well even though I have had to revert back to a non rooted device for work. I will really be interested in how well this baby will run once Gingerbread and IceCream is released for it. The newer OS's will work with the multiple cores better as time goes by. I also think that the Atrix has a sweet spot for screen size at 4". I have had a 4.3" device before and it just was way to big. It is surprising how much a difference the .3" makes. The other piece that I am waiting for is for the FM tuner to be enabled within the Atrix. It has the hardware from what I have read but does not have the software on the phone to make it function.

Thanks.

I am looking at AT&T. I am trying to decide between the Atrix and Inspire. I had the Droid X so I am fine with root and not the full rom exprience.

Cureently I have T-mo and all was good until January 1. Now my coverage is horrible on my G2 and wifes BB 9700. With both phones having issues its clear the network is the issue.

I have my G2 rooted, S-Off, Engineering SPL and running Virtious 1.0.1.

The Inspire is fully customizable like my G2. After reading this thread I may have to do the Atrix.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)