First day with C Band

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dem0nlord

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Central Texas
I've managed to score some good equipment, friend got me receivers from a house that had the dish destroyed by Rita last fall. So I got a Tracker V, TRX-1420, and a DSR905 there. Then a nearly new Channelmaster 1.8M offset from a business that closed. Bought one of those offset C band LNBFs from eyeinthesky, mainly to get the scalar. I think this LNBF is junk though, I can't get anything to lock with the 4DTV or my Dreambox. Only rated at 20 degrees anyway, so no big loss. I've ordered the Geosatpro C/Ku LNBF, hopefully I can do better with it. Planning on adapting a Channelmaster 1.2M polar mount I have here to this dish, but for today's testing, propping it against patio furniture was all I had.;)

Analog testing went well. I tried all the in the clear and VC2 xponders from 135 to 123, not doing much of a peaking job on them at all, and still had a worst of 80 signal showing on the Tracker V, most were 90-95, no problem getting the sparklies out, and no signs of interference from neighboring birds. WGN was the weakest one I saw today, but this was such crude testing, I know that may change. I guess this is a smaller dish that is well suited to this. Really happy with it, need to get it mounted and tracking and at least I know I can get started with an analog sub now.:up

I did figure out I need an analog box that will switch an LNBF. Any recommendations? I guess the GI 450i and newer will do this, any others?

If you think you might sub to 4dtv, you might consider going with a 922. That way you'd have it all in one box. You could also just stick with what you have. The TRX-1420 should be able to switch between V and H polarities. The 905 will take care of the 4dtv just not as nicely as the 922.

I don't see any way for the 1420 to switch between polarities unless I go to an LNB/feedhorn setup. It doesn't voltage switch on the coax. It has terminals to operate an external A/B switch, which would be fine if I had 2 LNBs on a feedhorn and didn't want both C and Ku, but that's not what I'm after. The only 2 settings it lets you make are H/V and C/Ku, neither of which seems to be what I need.

I do agree on the 922, although I'm tempted to buy a 450i or something off ebay if I can get it for next to nothing.

The 1420 wil only work with a LNB/Feedhorn assembly (with the 3 wires) to switch polarity.
If you hook it to the coax directly from a LNBF, you'll get H polarities only

I have a TRX1420 and slave it to my Coolsat 5000 since I have a LNBF for C-Band

dem0nlord said:
I don't see any way for the 1420 to switch between polarities unless I go to an LNB/feedhorn setup. It doesn't voltage switch on the coax. It has terminals to operate an external A/B switch, which would be fine if I had 2 LNBs on a feedhorn and didn't want both C and Ku, but that's not what I'm after. The only 2 settings it lets you make are H/V and C/Ku, neither of which seems to be what I need.

I do agree on the 922, although I'm tempted to buy a 450i or something off ebay if I can get it for next to nothing.

Sorry about that, I didn't read your original post closely enough. The 450i might be the way to go to test things out, and then go to a 922 later if you like 4dtv well enough. The other option would be to pick up a corotor with some low-end lnb's, but the 450i would more than likely be a lot cheaper.

I just thought of one other thing. I'm not 100% certain a 922 will work with your lnbf. I'm fairly sure it will, there's picks on the set up menu for using an lnbf, but I've never tried it.

Last edited:
iammike said:
I just thought of one other thing. I'm not 100% certain a 922 will work with your lnbf. I'm fairly sure it will, there's picks on the set up menu for using an lnbf, but I've never tried it.

That's a good point, hopefully someone will chime in that it does work. I do see where I can select LNBF in the 905 menus, but due to my current LNBF situation I can't yet confirm that it works.

If you can find an Eagle Aspen Pulse Box, you can use the LNBF with the 1420. It will take either the pulse signal from the polarity or the H/V terminal and switch between 14V and 18V. I have one but I don't know if it works. Let me know if you're interested and I'll test it.

Lynskyn said:
If you can find an Eagle Aspen Pulse Box, you can use the LNBF with the 1420. It will take either the pulse signal from the polarity or the H/V terminal and switch between 14V and 18V. I have one but I don't know if it works. Let me know if you're interested and I'll test it.

Thanks, but I just found a 650i for $100. A little more than I wanted to spend on an analog box, but a nicer box than I figured I would find so easily. This thing should do the trick when it gets here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)