First Dish ever couple of questions:

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

max a million

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
First post, so hello, and thanks in advance for any input on these. I've looked through a couple of threads, but nothing seemed to hit these on the head:

Yesterday I got a 522 2 room setup, in NJ, Americas 60 + (plus the int dish for the extended locals).

1: I have no idea how these things work, but is there anything I should be doing to extend my program list, i.e. are there other free channels that aren't standard that I can still setup, I had a friend who said with the 2nd dish I had access to a whole bunch of other channels that are still official but free. Not taking about hacking or anything silly like that, just wanted to make sure I was getting my full viewing abilities.

2: UHF remote, is it a common issue that "things" interfere with it's performance, this morning whilst my wife dried her hair I couldn't change the channel in the bedroom ?

3: I'm in NJ and am a Yankees fan, have I really just signed up for something that doesn't have access to the Yankees games. It says they are on ESPN tonight, but then I am told they are in Blackout, does that mean that someone like CBS has them? If so why does the Dish site not show local listings.

3b: On that note, this morning none of my local channels had programming info beyond about 11am this morning (so I can't even check to see if the game is on CBS anyway). Side note/rant why can't I search local channels using the 522.

That's it for now I think, I'm sure I'll come across new issues/rants/problems/fun as I get into this more. So far I'm fairly happy to no longer be paying Cablevision $83/month for basic "digital" service.

OK, just digging and this is the CBS schedule for the Yankees:

8/3 - Oakland - 7pm
8/10 - Texas - 8pm
8/17 - Minnesota - 8pm
9/7 - Tampa - 7pm
9/10 - Baltimore - 7.30pm
9/17 - Boston - 7pm

Ho Hum.

max a million said:
First post, so hello, and thanks in advance for any input on these. I've looked through a couple of threads, but nothing seemed to hit these on the head:

Yesterday I got a 522 2 room setup, in NJ, Americas 60 + (plus the int dish for the extended locals).

1: I have no idea how these things work, but is there anything I should be doing to extend my program list, i.e. are there other free channels that aren't standard that I can still setup, I had a friend who said with the 2nd dish I had access to a whole bunch of other channels that are still official but free. Not taking about hacking or anything silly like that, just wanted to make sure I was getting my full viewing abilities.

Once you add the 2nd dish, all the channels that are added (there's a bunch in 94XX area) will show on the grid.

2: UHF remote, is it a common issue that "things" interfere with it's performance, this morning whilst my wife dried her hair I couldn't change the channel in the bedroom ?
never heard of that happening...you might want to change the "address" of the remote
3: I'm in NJ and am a Yankees fan, have I really just signed up for something that doesn't have access to the Yankees games. It says they are on ESPN tonight, but then I am told they are in Blackout, does that mean that someone like CBS has them? If so why does the Dish site not show local listings.
either WCBS or YES....if a local network (sports or over the air) is carrying it, it will be blacked out on ESPN.
3b: On that note, this morning none of my local channels had programming info beyond about 11am this morning (so I can't even check to see if the game is on CBS anyway). Side note/rant why can't I search local channels using the 522.
I don't have a 522, but I think within a day the programming will show for the locals as far out as the rest

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=10224&highlight=yankees+dish

OK the above seems to cover the Yankees issue, time to become a Red Sox fan maybe ;-)

So if a local or YES is carrying the game it's blacked out - that's funny becuse I think that's all of them as YES have them all. A real shame, but I have a feeling this has been hash over quite a bit.

"changing the address"

How would one go about doing that ?

Is there anyway to get out of area FOX sports networks, if I can't watch the yankees I've got to get my baseball fix from somewhere ?

OK, it appears that I just sign up for the additional cost of $5 to the "The Multi Sport Package" but that if the Red Sox game is on a local network, I won't get it.

Is that right.

Does that mean if I sign up for this I'll not be able to watch my beloved Sox (ohh how fickle I am).

max a million said:
OK, it appears that I just sign up for the additional cost of $5 to the "The Multi Sport Package" but that if the Red Sox game is on a local network, I won't get it.

Is that right.

Does that mean if I sign up for this I'll not be able to watch my beloved Sox (ohh how fickle I am).

The multi sports pack blacks out all out of market pro sports...it's good for college games.

Get MLB Extra Innings for the 1/2 season....I think its $119 for the rest of the season and the first round of the playoffs

OMG, what happened to the weather channels "Locals on the 8's" is that not available on Dish ? I don't want to know the weather in Grand Rapids.

Locals on the 8's is something that cable does. They input the info in the feed they send out to the cable customers.

Channel 9500 has weather on it. You put your city in and it gives you local temperature and a 5 day forecast.

Dang, just found that, and I also assume I can just use the channel 100 interactive thingy, as that also has weather.

Here's a question, on the old cable setup we had, we split the cable to the bedroom so there was cabling going to the beroom and my office upstairs (I work from home). Can I continue to use this setup now. I know it technically would make our setup a 3 room deal, and we should be paying an extra $5 a month for it, I would justify it to myself by saying that we never watch the two TV's at the same time, as when I'm watching in the bedroom, I;m not in my office, and vica-versa.

The 522, why in gods name doesn't it have a clock on the front panel, like 99% of all other compent reicever type things, it's totally thrown my living room habit out of whack, I'm thinking of pluging in an old alarm clock I have, just so I have a clock in the TV stand.

max a million said:
Dang, just found that, and I also assume I can just use the channel 100 interactive thingy, as that also has weather.

Here's a question, on the old cable setup we had, we split the cable to the bedroom so there was cabling going to the beroom and my office upstairs (I work from home). Can I continue to use this setup now. I know it technically would make our setup a 3 room deal, and we should be paying an extra $5 a month for it, I would justify it to myself by saying that we never watch the two TV's at the same time, as when I'm watching in the bedroom, I;m not in my office, and vica-versa.

you can split the output to as many TV's as you want and there isnt an extra fee.

I have my 508 hooked to both the living room TV and the bedroom TV

max a million said:
The 522, why in gods name doesn't it have a clock on the front panel, like 99% of all other compent reicever type things, it's totally thrown my living room habit out of whack, I'm thinking of pluging in an old alarm clock I have, just so I have a clock in the TV stand.

None of the Dish receivers do :D

My dad did the same thing...put a simple clock on top of the TV

max a million said:

If you need to know the time simply hit "Info" on your remote. Your time will be in the upper left hand corner. I don't know of any satellite receiver that has a clock on the face, Dish or Direct.

edit: in reference to the splitting the output.

That's what I figured, the excellent thing with the 522 is I can take the remote upstairs and still use it. Excellent.

Yeah i know I could hit info, but that would mean stopping doing what I was doing and getting the remote.

"I don't know of any satellite receive..."

Must be a Sat thing, every cable box I've owned had one. The alarm clock will have to do, it's a red LED one, so it'll be just the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts