First DSS Install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lynskyn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Houston, Texas
Just for grins I looked back through my invoices from back when I was in the biz to see when I sold my first DSS system. August 2, 1995. Check out the prices:
RCA Dual Feed System - $899.00
Slave Receiver - $599
Installation - $200
Those were the days :) Had to call USSB for movie channels.

Yup. I remember them too. That $200 instal is what caused me to buy the $50 self install kit. I watched the incuded video and I was good to go. I think I still have that around here somewhere.

rockaway1836 said:
Yup. I remember them too. That $200 instal is what caused me to buy the $50 self install kit. I watched the incuded video and I was good to go. I think I still have that around here somewhere.

The store that I used to install D* for had loads of those. When they moved, they gave me their entire stock of self install kits for free!!! Hell, I used the RG6,and other small parts, tossed the aluminum ground wire in the trash, and the tapes? Hell I sold them on ebay for $5 each. Remember Directv-the guide? They used to give those to us for new customers, but we weren't installing much, so we would always have to dump them in the trash when the new ones came out. So, one month I decide to throw one on ebay (derek jeter was on the cover). Bam! $15. I did not make it to the office in time to save cases of the things from the landfill, but I was ready the next month. Kevin Spacey cover, when he was hot from American Beauty. I sold a case and a half of those things after that month for $40 each. Every one of them went to Japan. I wish I had saved more of them, but c'mon, it was Kevin Spacey. Totally didn't see that demand. Just goes to show you that one man's trash is another man's treasure.

I wanted a DSS way back in 1995, but I lived in base housing, and it wasn't allowed, even though they sold them in the PX.

I grew up in Mississippi, and remember the launch. I even met the guy who installed the very first system! It was for his friend. He was first in line at the first sale of D* systems; he got there at 4 AM. They had 250 systems at $800 each, 500 people showed up! Later that day, he called in the first activation.

icstephen said:
I do miss being able to get the movie channels separate.

I remember switching people over from primestar, and a lot of them being pissed about having to pay 2 bills.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts