First ever directv PC Tuner!!!!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

lee78221

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 6, 2005
Intel, DIRECTV Advance Digital Home Entertainment Experience; Intel and DIRECTV Announce First Ever Premium Digital Broadcast Entertainment Service to Embrace Intel(R) Viiv(TM) Technology
LAS VEGAS, Jan 05, 2006 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading digital television service provider, and Intel Corporation today announced a ground-breaking joint effort to enable remote viewing of DIRECTV's entertainment services and programming to PC screens, laptops, portable media players and set-top boxes through Intel(R) Viiv(TM) technology later in 2006. The move gives DIRECTV's customers a seamless way to enjoy the company's programming from the television, PC and personal consumer electronic devices.

The companies also plan an extensive joint marketing campaign that educates consumers about the benefits of DIRECTV's entertainment experience and Intel's digital home efforts.

Announced today at the 2006 Consumer Electronics Show, DIRECTV expects to enable this capability on the company's next-generation set-top boxes with deployment to customers slated for later this year. The two companies also plan to collaborate on the development of a PC tuner that would enable DIRECTV customers to enjoy the high-quality digital DIRECTV entertainment experience. This would include a broad range of high-definition, exclusive and original programming from DIRECTV's lineup -- available on PCs, laptop computers or other hand-held devices. DIRECTV expects to complete the product verification later this year and provide the tuner through PC makers which offer Intel Viiv technology-based PCs.

"DIRECTV recognizes consumers are viewing television on PCs and portable and mobile devices. The power of Intel Viiv technology will enable us to offer consumers nationwide the best entertainment experience -- when, where and how they want it," said Chase Carey, CEO, DIRECTV, Inc. "Through our strategic relationship with Intel and joint commitment to an industry standards-based approach for securely delivering a premium TV experience on the PC, we will advance how our customers view and enjoy their digital programming."

"Simply said, this effort will help reshape how consumers view their digital programming with a television leader such as DIRECTV embracing the PC and Intel Viiv technology," said Paul Otellini, Intel president and CEO. "DIRECTV is providing its customers with ultimate control over how and when they enjoy their entertainment and information, which also accelerates our shared vision of delivering an easier and more secure digital entertainment experience to families when and where they want it."

The introduction of Intel Viiv technology today marks an effort by Intel to enable a broad choice of entertainment and information from around the world so that consumers can more easily download, view, manage, store and enjoy their content anytime and on a variety of devices.

About DIRECTV, Inc.

DIRECTV, Inc. is the nation's leading digital television service with more than 15 million customers. DIRECTV and the Cyclone Design logo are registered trademarks of DIRECTV, Inc. DIRECTV (NYSETV) is a world-leading provider of digital multichannel television entertainment. DIRECTV is approximately 34 percent owned by News Corporation.

About Intel Corporation

Intel, the world leader in silicon innovation, develops technologies, products and initiatives to continually advance how people work and live. Additional information about Intel is available at www.intel.com/pressroom.

Intel and Intel Viiv are trademarks or registered trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the United States and other countries.

Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

SOURCE: DIRECTV, Inc.

DIRECTV, Inc.
Robert Mercer, 310-726-4683
rgmercer@directv.com
or
Intel
Bill Kircos, 503-807-7710
bill.kircos@intel.com

Last edited:
We know what happened when Dish Network tried this. It ended up being a flop. Lets hope its different this time.

However, with the amount of media center PC's and (I would assume) that this card is media center compatable, this would be huge. ESPECIALLY being able to record HD. With a computers ability to have MASSIVE amounts of storage. (I have near a terrabyte on my media center PC) this would be incredible!!!!!

This would be great for those that want to travel and you would have an instant DVR with some good software.

This is a major win win. With a simple Directv capture card and the emergence of Windows Media Center and the extension of Xbox 360, this quickly and easily provides D* with an instant multi-room central media solution. I've been experimenting with my Media Center and this might be the holy grail that keeps me with D*. Now if they could only speed up National HD channels. :-(

fkostyn said:
However, with the amount of media center PC's and (I would assume) that this card is media center compatable, this would be huge. ESPECIALLY being able to record HD. With a computers ability to have MASSIVE amounts of storage. (I have near a terrabyte on my media center PC) this would be incredible!!!!!
It will not only be MC compatible it will be MC required! ALL Intel Viiv PC's will ship with MC 2005 ( and later with Vista MC). We will see this card from PC vendors that sell it as part of the Viiv- Vista pairing around when Vista ships (Holiday 2006)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts