First game on PS4

Actually according to the game's technical graphics director, these specs are a bit overblown:

It is not the official configs. The real specs will come out soon and will be lower than these :)

Source (in French, hence why I copied here)
Apparently there was a failure to communicate, because according to uPlay, the required specs are actually HIGHER...

MINIMUM
Supported OS: Windows Vista SP2 64bit, Windows 7 SP1 64bit, Windows 8 64bit
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66Ghz or AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.0Ghz
RAM: 6 GB
Video Card: 1024 VRAM DirectX 11 with Shader Model 5.0 (see supported list)
Sound Card: DirectX 9 compatible Sound Card
This product supports 64-bit operating systems ONLY

RECOMMENDED
Processor: Core i7 3770 @ 3.5Ghz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0Ghz
RAM: 8 GB
Video Card: 2048 VRAM DirectX 11 with Shader Model 5.0 or higher (see supported list)
Sound Card: Surround Sound 5.1 capable sound card
Supported Video Cards at Time of Release:
nVidia GeForce GTX460 or better, GT500, GT600, GT700 series;
AMD Radeon HD5850 or better, HD6000, HD7000, R7 and R9 series
Intel® Iris™ Pro HD 5200

On the topic of insane specs, the new Call of Duty requires 50 GB for install... That's 20% of my SSD...

Apparently there was a failure to communicate, because according to uPlay, the required specs are actually HIGHER...

MINIMUM
Supported OS: Windows Vista SP2 64bit, Windows 7 SP1 64bit, Windows 8 64bit
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66Ghz or AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.0Ghz
RAM: 6 GB
Video Card: 1024 VRAM DirectX 11 with Shader Model 5.0 (see supported list)
Sound Card: DirectX 9 compatible Sound Card
This product supports 64-bit operating systems ONLY

RECOMMENDED
Processor: Core i7 3770 @ 3.5Ghz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0Ghz
RAM: 8 GB
Video Card: 2048 VRAM DirectX 11 with Shader Model 5.0 or higher (see supported list)
Sound Card: Surround Sound 5.1 capable sound card
Supported Video Cards at Time of Release:
nVidia GeForce GTX460 or better, GT500, GT600, GT700 series;
AMD Radeon HD5850 or better, HD6000, HD7000, R7 and R9 series
Intel® Iris™ Pro HD 5200

On the topic of insane specs, the new Call of Duty requires 50 GB for install... That's 20% of my SSD...

Somehow I think this is a mistake too. Going to the uPlay website myself I can't find any specs listed. The page on uPlay's website that the article links to is no longer there. If you click it they just redirect you to the store homepage. The technical directer said the required specs would be lower so I find it hard to believe that they raised them.

This is ok with me. I'd rather have it be a functioning game and for whatever reason I wasn't super excited for it anyways. It does suck that one of the few non FPS launch games will no longer be a launch game though. I am planning on playing Killzone, Battlefield 4, and COD Ghosts. The problem is that all three of those games are going to offer me a similar experience. Killzone will probably be the most likely to hold my attention as a campaign but all three games will primarily be multiplayer shooters for me.

While I wasn't extremely excited for Watch Dogs, it did represent some variety that will be lacking with both consoles launch lineups.

This confirms my decision to not get a PS4 until it's been out for awhile. I don't play shooters, so this and AC IV were they only two games that I would've picked up at launch (Knack looks cool, but I wouldn't pay $60 for it) ... and I still have serious concerns about how stable AC IV will be at launch given Ubisoft's track record with the last two AC games. However, like others here, I do appreciate Ubisoft's interest in at least getting Watch Dogs right.

This confirms my decision to not get a PS4 until it's been out for awhile. I don't play shooters, so this and AC IV were they only two games that I would've picked up at launch (Knack looks cool, but I wouldn't pay $60 for it) ... and I still have serious concerns about how stable AC IV will be at launch given Ubisoft's track record with the last two AC games. However, like others here, I do appreciate Ubisoft's interest in at least getting Watch Dogs right.
I'm now taking your route. Just cancelled my preorder. Thought it over a lot. Watch Dogs was the main deal breaker in my decision.

Mine is free but even if it wasn't I would keep my preorder. My reasoning is that I know games are coming and I would get a PS4 eventually anyways. The price won't be dropped for at least a few years so I see no benefit to waiting. I will be playing a few games at launch and picking up more as they come out. If there is time where there are truly no PS4 games I want to play I still have my PC and PS3 backlog to jump in to.

If I was still torn between Xbox One and PS4 I could see the benefit of waiting to see which system has the games you want. For me it is an easy decision though.

Without knowing much at all about Contrast I'm happy to take that for free over Drive Club at launch. Racing is probably the genre I am least interested in. It has just never been my thing. Now we are getting Contrast for free when it originally wasn't going to be. Also, they have confirmed that Drive Club with still be free for PS+ members when it is released.

Even if I was a racing fan, the fact that you don't get the full version of Drive Club as a PS+ member would irk me too. If you want the full game you have to buy it. As far as I know PS+ has always included the full version when they give games away. I really hope this doesn't become a trend for PS+ on the PS4.

As soon as they announced that PS+ would be required to play PS4 online I worried that PS+ would lose some of it's value. I don't think they are going to want to give away as many quality games when almost every PS4 gamer gets them instead of the niche group that had PS+ on PS3.

Without knowing much at all about Contrast I'm happy to take that for free over Drive Club at launch. Racing is probably the genre I am least interested in. It has just never been my thing. Now we are getting Contrast for free when it originally wasn't going to be. Also, they have confirmed that Drive Club with still be free for PS+ members when it is released.

Even if I was a racing fan, the fact that you don't get the full version of Drive Club as a PS+ member would irk me too. If you want the full game you have to buy it. As far as I know PS+ has always included the full version when they give games away. I really hope this doesn't become a trend for PS+ on the PS4.

As soon as they announced that PS+ would be required to play PS4 online I worried that PS+ would lose some of it's value. I don't think they are going to want to give away as many quality games when almost every PS4 gamer gets them instead of the niche group that had PS+ on PS3.

I'm the same way with racing games. I'm much happier to get Resogun and Contrast than DriveClub as free PS4 games for Plus members. (I trust that I'll be able to add them to my download queue like I did Vita games, even though I won't have a PS4 for a while.) Once the stripped down version of DriveClub is added to the IGC sometime in 2014, I doubt I would even spare the bandwidth to download it.

Regarding always getting the full version of games in the IGC, Uncharted 3 is the most notable exception, as it only included the SP campaign and the FTP MP access, not the full MP experience. They did something similar with Starhawk, but that was treated as a bonus promo and not an official entry into the IGC.

It will be interesting to see what happens, though I'm already pleasantly surprised any PS4 games are being added to the IGC at launch (it took 9 months before Vita games were added to the IGC after launch).

Less surprisingly, but of interest to me is that the PS4 controller also works on the PS3. I know it won't work wirelessly, so if I can get confirmation that it uses the same recharge cable connection as the PS3 controller (a recharge cable doesn't come with just the PS4 controller), I might go ahead and get one ahead of buying a PS4 as I think the controller's ergonomics might be better suited to my hands.

Less surprisingly, but of interest to me is that the PS4 controller also works on the PS3. I know it won't work wirelessly, so if I can get confirmation that it uses the same recharge cable connection as the PS3 controller (a recharge cable doesn't come with just the PS4 controller), I might go ahead and get one ahead of buying a PS4 as I think the controller's ergonomics might be better suited to my hands.
I believe the cable is a standard USB/USB-mini cable, same as the PS3 was.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts