First HDTV

Status
Not open for further replies.

HCI

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
land of the ice and snow
I am looking to buy my first HDTV and have a couple of questions.

Should I go with a DLP or LCD?

Is bigger always better? I am looking at only around a 46"

What brand name would you recommend? I want to buy the best for the money but don't want to go broke in the process.

Thanks for any advice.

I bought the 50" SXRD Sony in December and I am totally happy with it. I have D* HD and I think it looks fantastic. (I know vurbano Im only getting 2/3 the HD I deserve)

The Tate said:
Should I go with a DLP or LCD? Is bigger always better? I am looking at only around a 46" I want to buy the best for the money but don't want to go broke in the process. Thanks for any advice.

Is "only around 46in" because of budget or because thats all you want?

You can get a much smaller size profile, industry recommended, HD FPTV and screen for $2200 which is far and away the best money well spent. You do not need a huge, cave dark room as many suggest.

My viewing distance is around 10 feet.

I only want a 46 for budget and I have never been a fan of the really huge TV's I would get a 42 depending on the price but I would go no larger than 46.

Very good point PR..... a mere 16' will get you a 119" diagonal HD image. 10' is REAL CLOSE to the set, but at 10' you can get 78" diagonal HD for around $2000

Last edited:
Next questions for ya Tate, which room is it in? How much light control do you have? Is this your primary display and how many hours will you watch in a week and at what time of day? (Related to light control issue)

Once you reply PM me so we can continue our discourse!

Living Room were we watch most of our TV. My wife watches throughout the day and most of the windows are beside the TV. I watch maybe 2 hours at night "with only one lamp on" if that unless sports are on.

With the correct screen contrast selection and projector power you would have to have 10 uncovered windows in a typical 20x20 room for you to be disappointed. People that make this such a huge issue have obviously never seen or installed a proper combination or setup and thus pass along myths. I have setup dozens of these with nary a complaint. IMHO

charper1 said:
Dare we know what that cost?

Actually, it was free! Kinda. My 60" Mits went dark after about a year. That was....about a year ago.

To make a very long story short, my dealer was looking for an upgrade rather than a replacement. He called a couple of days after Christmas to update and I told him I would drop by. I saw the LG on display and was knocked out by the picture. I went back a day later with Apollo 13 and it still looked great. So, after some talk about a brand new warrenty...it showed up at my house.

I think they are running about $3500.

The DU-62SY20D? That would be about right. Its good to see LG's "larger" set finally start to approach respectable prices. 56" - 62" should get down to the $2200 range, anything smaller should drop "a whole lot". At that $2200 price point I would start to recommend them along with FPTV.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)