First Hopper and Joey Photos posted by engadget

That's the big question. How much will these things cost and what monthly fees will be charged? I really hope they are reasonable and I can finally make the jump to HD and DVR from my old 322's.

Directv has the 5 tuner DVR but Dish Network has the Primetime Anytime. Just need a combo of the two. Directv had the right idea with all those tuners. I am disappointed in Dish Network for not having a 5 tuner unit. On the other hand, you can join two Hoppers together so that makes 6 tuners plus the Primetime Anytime making it like having 9 tuners at once during Primetime Anytime (2 tuners + 4 Primetime Anytime on the 3rd + 3 tuners on the second Hopper).

My problem are the fees Dish Network is going to charge for two Hoppers. I know with the 722 they charge you as if you was using a second tv even though they ain't and I HATE that. Maybe that is why they designed the Hopper this way and have a plan for those that don't want to pay all those fees that want additional tuners. Two Hoppers should be enough for most households to solve all their problems. They will probably base the additional tuner charges on the Joey's you have connected and charge you a little more for the Hopper like they do the 922.

From an outsider perspective on Dish, I am thinking they are seeing the primetime anytime as a bonus tuner with the major networks?

Time will tell what we will be paying for these. I am not feeling very optimistic about the costs but who knows. Personally I like the Prime Time Anytime feature but to me the DVR sharing and the ability to have HD on ALL TVs is what I like about this. The increased speed of the guide and channel changing doesn't hurt either.

We are a three room HD set up, I would think one hopper and two joeys would set up would meet our needs for example

From an outsider perspective on Dish, I am thinking they are seeing the primetime anytime as a bonus tuner with the major networks?

It really isn't a bonus because from what I got from Scott's video it takes one of the 3 tuners to recorded the prime time stuff. So it only leaves you with 2 tuners during the primetime to record or watch via a Joey.

later,
john

3 tuners will work for a lot of folks, not all. In households with only 1 or 2 TV's these systems will shine. I have a 722 hooked to 1 hd TV & 2 standard being mostly used in the single mode with 2 people. There are a bunch of those scenarios out there.

It really isn't a bonus because from what I got from Scott's video it takes one of the 3 tuners to recorded the prime time stuff. So it only leaves you with 2 tuners during the primetime to record or watch via a Joey.

later,
john
depends on the househould. If your family watches a lot of the broadcast networks, it's definitely a benefit. Let's say you watch Fox and your kid watches ABC during the same hour, then this is a win for your family and you only have to tie up one tuner.

Plus all four broadcast networks are saved to the DVR and you can watch at your leisure.

For those folks where 3 tuners isn't enough a 2nd Hopper would net 6 tuners. Two Hoppers and 4 Joeys would satisfy the vast majority of viewers. Assuming the costs aren't prohibitive, I will be looking at getting 2 Hoppers each with 3 Joeys. That way I can have 8 TVs hooked up and could watch 6 live channels concurrently.

Really the bottom line for many people on the # of tuners & # of joeys is........How many TV's need to watch "Live TV" at the same time on different channels? An answer to that will help many decide exactly what they need.

Really the bottom line for many people on the # of tuners & # of joeys is........How many TV's need to watch "Live TV" at the same time on different channels? An answer to that will help many decide exactly what they need.

While most seem to be complaining of only 3 tuners, the ratings indicate the vast majority of American households still mostly watch prime time shows. With all 4 networks being recorded at once (and maybe later the other locals), 3 tuners will be able to cover most recording needs. Not to mention most cable repeats programming a second time for west coast, so a second chance to record in case of timer conflict. For those that cannot handle it, a second hopper with 3 more tuners would probably cover all but the most extreme situations.

So, I would way most households a couple of TVs watching different prime time shows and a couple others watching cable shows should satisfy most.

Hopefully with a three tv set up, hopper and two joeys the aggressive pricing will also include decent monthly fees?

I'm really getting anxious to find out what the fees are. It's driving me nuts. I can't wait, it feels like Christmas all over again.

later,
john

this would be a bonus for me. some nights, mondays and thursdays for example it would come in handy. the one tuner would be recording my Primetime Anytime(PTAT) shows from 4 channels leaving me with 2 tuners available for recording shows on other networks that i would have normally had to record at the second or third showing of the that weeks episode. now i should be able to record each show at its originally scheduled time rather than have to wait 3 hours or possibly a day.

the PTAT feature is a great idea and i can't wait for it.

I'm really getting anxious to find out what the fees are. It's driving me nuts. I can't wait, it feels like Christmas all over again.

Makes me think that they are not releasing the FEES structure, because they are going to be astronomical in price , or in line with the already HIGH additional receiver FEES. IF they were going to be cheaper then what we already have , don't you think they would be touting them at CES already? After all CES is all about HYPE , so this would be the time to announce it if you wanted to create real Buzz about your new product.

Actually in a highly competitive market, you do not rush your pricing. Pricing is driven by actual cost of deliver and what the competition is charging.

Dish just put out some major new product offerings and the smart thing to do is wait a bit to see how the competition reacts. You under price and leave money on the table. You over price and you have to react later which puts the competition in the driver seat.

It is always easy to take cheap shots about the pricing when you don't understand business.

With my 722 I can record 2 shows and watch a previously recorded DVR program at the same time. So will it be possible with the Hopper to record 3 programs at once, watch a DVRed program on the Hopper and also watch a DVRed program on the Joey at the same time?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)