First Hopper and Joey Photos posted by engadget

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Actually in a highly competitive market, you do not rush your pricing. Pricing is driven by actual cost of deliver and what the competition is charging.

Dish just put out some major new product offerings and the smart thing to do is wait a bit to see how the competition reacts. You under price and leave money on the table. You over price and you have to react later which puts the competition in the driver seat.

It is always easy to take cheap shots about the pricing when you don't understand business.

You Obviously don't know about the business history of DISH do you?

I have been with them 15 years this month, and the last 10 years they have progressively gotten higher on all their made up , charge it because we can FEES. They have created so many fees that they had to roll them in to one gigantic Additional receiver fees that now ranges from $7.00 - $17.00 depending on what Class of receiver your's falls into. And they went from no DVR fee at all in the early 2000s to PER DVR Receiver , then to per account . But they still charge a portion of the dvr fee into each additional receiver fee if you have more than one dvr on your account.

DISH has become greedier as the years have gone on and they have continued to lose subs just about Every quarter for the last year or two, give or take one exceptional quarter here and there. But they have continued to create larger and larger profits every year ,even though they are losing subs. Ain't additional fee revenue grand? So if history is any indicator of DISH's intentions towards pricing , we can expect them to be as high or higher than what most people already have with Vip series of Dvrs. Hell, they might even create some new fees like Multi-View fee and combine that with the Dvr fee, creating one large DVR FEE. Oh wait! They already did that with the 922 's dvr fee ( sling +dvr fee).

Time will tell if I'm right. But something tells me I will be. I only hope DISH remembers the outrage most people have felt towards Netflix and their 60 % price increase for those who wanted both dvds and streaming. Also remember Bank of America and the outrage over their $5.00 debit fee,they announced but never put in place ,due to customer outrage across the spectrum. With many Americans moving from home ownership to renters , DISH better realize that people will not put up with increasing made up FEEs, on top of ever increasing programming increases too. Many will be cutting the sat cord and moving to something else. There are ever increasing alternatives out there and the newer generation coming up, doesn't even watch tv much . They get all their programming from the internet.

So even though I might not "understand the way YOU think business works". I do understand DISH business history and the tech trends out there and the economic realities that affect the country . And I promise you that after the gigantic debacle the 922 has become, DISH can not afford to compound that flop with a large increase of fees on the Hopper/Joey system ,making it out of the price range for most subs and or potential subs.

Have a nice night.:cool:

All this grousing about fees. The individual components that make up the bill change every so often but the bill, the total of all the components, stays about the same will the exception of the content cost which is pass-thru to the providers.

Dish is greedy and yet the pricing is less than DiecTV.

If you believe that the Bank of America customers won some battle with the $5 dollar fee, wow. The griping was about hidden fees and yet there is was, right out in the open. Not what I define as hidden. But the compensating renue for processing the credit cards will still be derived by BoA but now it will be "hidden".

Dish can't have been so bad if you have been a customer for 15 years.

Since Dish has not offered to offer their service for free, or even better pay us for viewing, the words Greed comes so easily. Are you "greedy" when you receive a pay check.

Dish just put out some major new product offerings and the smart thing to do is wait a bit to see how the competition reacts.

The competition already did. Directv and the HR34 with 5 tuners in it. Its out. It works. And it doesnt cost any extra money a month than a 2 tuner HR24.

If Dish prices the Hopper and Joey less than cost of currently having two VIP HD receivers they will provide an incentive for all their current customers to migrate to a Hopper plus a Joey(s). Currently I have two VIP 211s. If I could move to a Hopper and a Joey and save $7 a month plus have a receiver with all the latest bells and whistles I would do it in a minute.

Also can you imagine the problems of explaining to a potential new customer with multiple HD TVs that not only are they not going to get their locals in HD, but they will have to get the "old" VIP equipment and pay more than a customer with a Hopper and Joey(s).

The competition already did. Directv and the HR34 with 5 tuners in it. Its out. It works. And it doesnt cost any extra money a month than a 2 tuner HR24
It seems the Joey equivalent from DirecTV hasn't been released yet, just a free for a RVU TV.

I'd guess, and it's just a guess, is first hopper free, and $7 per joey. Maybe I'm naive.

That is what I predict the Joeys will go for too. There will most likely be $10.00 dvr fee ( multi-view fee + dvr fee) as well. I can also see a second hopper will go for $17.00 or HIGHER . That is if DISH wants to keep subs from wanting to upgrade to the hopper system . They may not want all their subs wanting to upgrade all at one time due to lower priced equipment. But DISH also has a history of creating made up , charge it because we can, FEES and there is no indication that has stopped because of Joe Clayton took over. So who knows what new made up fee DISH may add to this new system. I have said it before and I'll say it again , just in case DISH actually is reading this, they need to price this new system at a reasonable cost that is LESS than current VIP Dual tuner pricing and make the additional receiver cost drop. IF not there future will be bleak. The satellite competition has kept their additional receiver cost reasonable and even the multi-view fee is cheap at $3.00 , I think. IF DISH wants to attract new subs and retain existing one, they need to do something about PRICING. The channel providers are pricing themselves out of business with their extortion price hikes. The least DISH can do is try to cut some of their made up , charge it because we can nonsense FEES to compensate for the costs. As I noted before in the earlier posts, the younger generation is not watching tv, they are getting their entertainment over the internet. Sat and cable companies grow by continuing to attract new subs and trying to retain the existing subs. If you price yourselves out of the reach of most people, you will continue to shrink as a company and eventually go under, no matter how much profit you make on your nonsensical ever increasing FEES on the remaining subs you still have.

It seems the Joey equivalent from DirecTV hasn't been released yet, just a free for a RVU TV.

which honestly is fine. Right now Directv is installing H25 receivers which have their own tuner in them AND can piggyback off the HR34. Both the RVU & H25 are $6 a month so its nice right now that folks get a H25 which doesnt feed off the HR34 tuners instead of a RVU which DOES feed off a tuner

If it were me running the company the monthly fees would be...

First hopper free
Each Joey $6

Additional hopper $14

That pricing would work for me since I would want one Hopper and three Joeys (4 HDTV's), but I'd also need one of those MOCA bridges as well. They'll probably have a fee for one of those too.

elmafu69 said:
If they go the directv route and charge 399 they wont get many ppl hopping, even if they do give you 300 back.

You think $99 is unreasonable for a receiver/DVR of this caliber? My god, I hope you were never around in the TVRO days. I paid well over $1000 for my first 4DTV in 1997.

Scott Greczkowski said:
If it were me running the company the monthly fees would be...

First hopper free
Each Joey $6

Additional hopper $14

Why not use the DirecTV model, first receiver free, then $6 for each additional receiver/client/DVR. Have a $10 whole home DVR fee per account.

which honestly is fine. Right now Directv is installing H25 receivers which have their own tuner in them AND can piggyback off the HR34. Both the RVU & H25 are $6 a month so its nice right now that folks get a H25 which doesnt feed off the HR34 tuners instead of a RVU which DOES feed off a tuner
That is what i was trying/thinking in one of my other posts about the Joey's needing a tuner in them. direct Tv's HMC Hr34 can all be hooked in with the Hr24/25.
if it wasn't for a neighbor's tree in the way I would be with Direct Tv right now.

later,
John

A single Hopper install requires two RG6 coax lines from a DISH Antenna into a XIP Solo Node. From there a single RG6 line is connected to the Hopper input and another line is connected into a standard cable splitter for distribution to the Joey's using pre-existing RG6 or RG59 cable.

Two Hoppers, then you need an XIP Duo Node. To the best of my knowledge neither node requires an additional power supply/inserter.View attachment 72854View attachment 72855

As a side note, just wanted to add that, if you use the Duo and two taps, the entire system requires RG-6. Just an FYI. And you're right about the Nodes; no power inserter needed. Take care and God Bless!

As a side note, just wanted to add that, if you use the Duo and two taps, the entire system requires RG-6. Just an FYI. And you're right about the Nodes; no power inserter needed. Take care and God Bless!

You should still be able to use RG59 from the splitter out to the Joeys. You should only need RG6 from the Dish to the node, from the node to the tap and from the tap to the Hopper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts