FIRST LOOK: 622 Review!

Scott Greczkowski said:
Sorry guys just though you should know whats going on. :)

Well I, for one, appreciate the heads-up from Scott. The name of the game, IMO, is integrity. And if a site or blog gets caught showing it has none, then the way I see it, they're fair game for a little ribbing or ridicule. A product review should be just that--a review, not some propaganda piece for the corporation which manufactured it. Hell, that's what they have sales brochures for!

For what it's worth, Scott, thanks again for keeping us informed! :up

Scott Greczkowski said:
Whoops sorry, I am trying to catch them all. :)

No it does not doing native switching, you set it to 480, 720 or 1080, and everything is upconverted or downcoverted to the resolution you selected.

It does not automatically switch from 1080i to 720p like other (non Echostar) recievers do.

I know that everyone's setup is different, but have you guys noticed one setting better than the others?

I have a 720p DLP Projector, and I currently have my 811 set to output 1080i. Even though it is not the native resolution of my display, it seems to look sharper than 720p.

My 622 will be installed tomorrow, can't wait!

Anything else I should be aware of before the install? I just read through the entire thread, and it seems like most people are happy!

Innova said:
I know that everyone's setup is different, but have you guys noticed one setting better than the others?

I have a 720p DLP Projector, and I currently have my 811 set to output 1080i. Even though it is not the native resolution of my display, it seems to look sharper than 720p.

My 622 will be installed tomorrow, can't wait!

Anything else I should be aware of before the install? I just read through the entire thread, and it seems like most people are happy!

Innova, your observation is valid. I too have my 811 set to 1080i output into my DLP RPTV for the same reason. The picture is indeed noticeably sharper, and that's because the 811's downconversion to 720p is kinda crappy. I hear, however, that the 622's downcoversion runs rings around the 811's, and I'm also eagerly awaiting mine to be installed. I would be very interested in hearing your impressions once your unit is installed and operating, as mine won't arrive for another week or so. Best of luck to you! :)

Thanks! The installers are here right now. The bad news is they have to move our dish. The line of site to one of the new sats (129?) is blocked by trees. The good news is that they are going up on our roof. We have kind of a walk out basement where they are moving the dish, and a high peak...so it is about 25' up! The old dish was just on the eave of the house.

Sorry for this, I am sure it has been gone over. On my 942, I currently use it in single mode, but supply 2 TVs. One TV with HDMI and one with component. Will both outputs work together on the 622 like they do on the 942? My idea was to hook each receiver to each TV. I am afraid the 622 will not do this, can someone help me?

deuces said:
Sorry for this, I am sure it has been gone over. On my 942, I currently use it in single mode, but supply 2 TVs. One TV with HDMI and one with component. Will both outputs work together on the 622 like they do on the 942? My idea was to hook each receiver to each TV. I am afraid the 622 will not do this, can someone help me?
The 622 outputs video and audio on all ports simultaneously in single mode.

The HDMI, component, s-video, and composite are on TV1 in dual mode.
TV2 has only composite with both on the RF. Have not tried RF in single.
Currently I have OTA 37 for one because it is reserved for radio astronomy and thus no interference from a local. Arecibo is not in my line of sight but the VLA might be, huh. How powerful is that back feed? ;)

-Ken

Can you switch between single and dual mode with the remote? If so, can you still use the UHF remote to change either tuner's channel?

My 622 will be in the basement (next to the 721) and being able to de-couple the tuners in the 622 at times would be nice, as long as I don't need to run down stairs!

AFAIK, the mode switch is near the power switch behind the front panel. See manual.

My remote was indicating low battery and then did now work even changing batteries. I changed from chan 5 back to chan 1 and TV1 remote works again. I had moved it because I was running a 501 on chan 1 in the same room but it is now moved. Now I can use a cheap preprogrammed remote as backup. Was the remote signal just fussy?

-Ken

Can you connect the 622 to the Dish service through the ethernet port on the back? That would be better than the phone modem connection I would imagine. I know I did that with my TIVO previously. Is that possible here?...or do you have to connect a phone line?

Can you connect the 622 to the Dish service through the ethernet port on the back? That would be better than the phone modem connection I would imagine. I know I did that with my TIVO previously. Is that possible here?...or do you have to connect a phone line?

I think you're a little confused from your Tivo days. On the Tivo the unit got the program guide information as well as updates from the phone line. On the 622 all of that information comes from the satellite. The only thing that the phone line is used for is ordering pay per views and the unit calling in to tell dish where it is (to make sure that people aren't account stacking - putting boxes at different locations on the same account to aviod multiple monthly charges). So no major amount of data is flowing through the line.

In the future we hope that the ethernet port will be enabled for DISHOnline (basically IPTV). If you do a search you will come up with a good thread on it.

By the way, Welcome and let us know if you have more questions!

Why is the VIP622.2 ooppss mean VIP722 in the main forum not here?
Hello all , I'm brand new here.:hatsoff: But not new to Sat. Been a DISH NET customer for 13 years come April. My new 50 inch PANASONIC Plasma arrives on Monday and DISH is upgrading/installing my new leased VIP 722 on Friday. I was originally set up with the 622 but was hearing of it having many defects. Called DISH back and insisted on a 722 and paid a one time fee of $25 to upgrade to the 722 but don't Know much about. 622 vs. 722 ??? I was hearing of some customer having to replace they're 622 numorous times but hopfully the 722 has addressed these problems? Want to start off on a good foot as I remember having to replace my old dearly beloved DISHPLAYER 7200 EIGHT times. but when it worked it was great ! Boy could it do one hell of a search and had web tv too. RIP ! Hopefully my new plasma and the 722 should blow my mind. Thanks fer the therapy session. Regards ! mike

My recent installer said that they don't even get 622s anymore. They're installing everybody with 722s. This was a Dish employee. Not subcontractor.

I've got a 722 and a 622. Gone through two 622s that had the HDMI outputs die (probably those weak pins popping loose)....

Has the 722 also been prone to HDMI failures or did they find a way to beef up the connection so it isn't as fragile?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts