AZBOX First Look: AzBox miniMe American edition

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

pwrsurge

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 7, 2007
Canada
The AzBox miniMe is the newest model of this popular HD satellite receiver brand from Portugal based Opensat.
The American edition of the AzBox miniMe from AzBox Canada is customized and tested for the North American market.

The following is a first look of this small but powerful HD FTA satellite receiver.

DSC00881.JPG DSC00882.JPG DSC00883.JPG

Unpacking the receiver, we find the set top box neatly packaged along with the remote control on the side, quick start guide, composite and component breakout cables. The receiver normally comes with only a European style power cord but the American edition also includes the American style power cord.

DSC00884.JPG DSC00885.JPG

The AzBox miniMe features a compact but stylish design with a black plastic casing which blends in well with today's modern home theatre equipment. Unlike most set top boxes, the AzBox miniMe features rounded side panels which adds to its flair and elegance. Ventilation holes can be found on the top of the unit to help keep the receiver running cool, even without an internal fan.

The front panel features a single button to turn the receiver on or off. The LED light surrounding the power button changes colour based on the current operating mode of the receiver. For example, orange indicates the receiver is in standby mode and blue means that it's on. The LED light also flashes when the receiver is busy doing something such as scanning or playing back a recording. The front panel also features the AzBox miniMe logo along with the stylized Z from the AzBox logo and a 1/8" headphone jack for an external IR receiver (not included) if you wish to install your receiver in a location with no clear line of sight for the infrared remote control to function. However, we believe that most people will want to have the miniMe as the centrepiece of their home entertainment system so the external IR receiver should not be required. :D

The back panel features a variety of connections including IF input, loop out, Ethernet LAN connection, S/PDIF optical audio output, HDMI output, two USB ports, an e-SATA port, component and composite outputs using the included breakout cables. Although a hard disk can't be installed inside the unit due to its small size, the e-SATA port will ensure high performance for your external hard disk.

The AzBox miniMe American edition features a customized firmware adapted for our market.

IMG_4285.JPG IMG_4286.JPG
The main menu allows the user to change from TV to radio mode, setup event timers, play various media files including recordings, change system settings and scan for channels after configuring various tuner options and satellite preferences.

IMG_4288.JPG IMG_4289.JPG
Although the unit currently comes with only one tuner, the firmware is already designed to support a second tuner as well. Additional tuners for this receiver will soon be available. The AzBox miniMe features some unique tuner configuration options such as tuner timeout adjustment, useful to try and tune those hard to lock feeds and 18V during motor movement which provides 18 volts when the motor is moving even if a vertical polarization channel is selected. By getting 18V rather than 13V, your DiSEqC motor will move faster and more reliably.

IMG_4290.JPG IMG_4291.JPG IMG_4292.JPG
Similar to Openbox and the GeoSatPro microHD, satellites first have to be activated before they can be configured. This helps reduce clutter when configuring satellites by only listing activated satellites. Various LNB configuration options are available including support for DiSEqC 1.1 committed and uncommitted switches.

IMG_4312.JPG IMG_4313.JPG IMG_4293.JPG IMG_4314.JPG
Three different types of scans are available, manual transponder scan which scans a specific transponder from a specific satellite, automatic satellite scan which scans all transponders from one or more satellites and blind scan which scans for all frequencies on a specific satellite. Manual PID entry is also available under Manual transponder scan in order to manually add certain channels that don't scan in otherwise.

IMG_4294.JPG IMG_4295.JPG IMG_4298.JPG IMG_4299.JPG
Feed hunters rejoice! The blindscan feature on the AzBox miniMe is fast and very powerful. A full scan of Galaxy 17 as shown above takes about 5 minutes and finds numerous feeds. As this is an AzBox HD satellite receiver, various signal formats are supported including 4.2.2, an AzBox exclusive!

IMG_4300.JPG IMG_4301.JPG IMG_4302.JPG
And once scanned in, detailed technical information on the currently tuned channel can be viewed. This includes the list of PIDs, resolution, bitrate signal and quality levels. A graph also shows current signal, quality, bitrate and BER levels.

IMG_4305.JPG IMG_4306.JPG IMG_4307.JPG IMG_4308.JPG IMG_4309.JPG IMG_4310.JPG
The AzBox miniMe also easily allows recordings to be made and later played back. Recordings can be either scheduled using an event timer or on demand by pressing the record button on the remote control. A timeshift feature is also available which once activated, can pause and resume live TV. Recording are stored in TS format which can easily be played back using your computer without conversion by using a media player such as VLC.

The AzBox miniMe American edition will soon be available for sale from your authorized AzBox Canada dealers with shipping available across north and south America from most of our dealers. Please feel free to post your comments and suggestions as we love to take SatelliteGuys.US feedback into consideration when designing an American edition of AzBox receivers.

Best regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada

Last edited:
That was my question also....Price??

I like the design very nice looking!

Is the software better then the ME? I heard horror stories from early ME adopters, but I can only hope it's gotten better since then.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Very cool. Love the 4.2.2 mention and all the geeky info on the feed.

Curious what the LAN can do. If it could browse some network shares and playback HD mkv files I would buy one in a heart beat. The do it all box!

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Nice might be time to replace my old Azbox Elite.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

I like the design very nice looking!

Is the software better then the ME? I heard horror stories from early ME adopters, but I can only hope it's gotten better since then.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yes, the software code base along with the kernel are a lot different than what's in the Me. Unlike the Me which was rushed to the american market prematurely, we have been working on the miniMe since this past summer so its software is a lot more refined and robust. When production of the Me resumes, we will relaunch it under this new platform.

Regards,

PwrSurge

2 things-
1. was that the signal bar?? if so, cant u make it HUGE?? that does help, to have it big.
2. How is it with FSS lnbs? Bandstacked stuff.
Thanks

Forgive me for being a bit cynical here...But this looks like history repeating itself.
Typical Opensat..stop supporting a box which is already in the market to promote a new box and get punters to spend more cash! Remember the older HD boxes??
The ME still in my opinion has software which is still not stable, but AZbox Canada have done a great job in tweaking it, along with the original HD firmware from Celrun, but the European Versions are still bugged, at least the Enigma2 teams are trying their best to get a good software for the ME. But WHY have Opensat stopped production of the ME?? I cannot get a straight answer, but my guess is to promote the Minime, look on any European forum and this box has been available here for some time, but you don't see many posts, perhaps because it isn't selling well??

Forgive me for being a bit cynical here...But this looks like history repeating itself.
Typical Opensat..stop supporting a box which is already in the market to promote a new box and get punters to spend more cash! Remember the older HD boxes??
The ME still in my opinion has software which is still not stable, but AZbox Canada have done a great job in tweaking it, along with the original HD firmware from Celrun, but the European Versions are still bugged, at least the Enigma2 teams are trying their best to get a good software for the ME. But WHY have Opensat stopped production of the ME?? I cannot get a straight answer, but my guess is to promote the Minime, look on any European forum and this box has been available here for some time, but you don't see many posts, perhaps because it isn't selling well??

I couldn't have said it better.

I disagree, the ME was never intended for the North American market. A few retailers who didn't care that the ME was junk decided to bring the box to the US even though the software was junk and not tweaked for the North American Market. If you want to blame anyone blame those who origionally thought more about profit above functionality. Other dealers started selling the ME later once the software got better because people were demanding the ME, just because it was the new AZbox.

For this box it looks like it is being crafted for our market which I applaud. And it appears its not being sold here until its ready for us. From what i have seen of this new box so far I may actually get one... I love my Azbox Elite, and with newer chipsets I feel this one could be even better then the Elite.

I would be happy to PAY for one and have it shipped to iceberg for an honest review.

I wish more companies would let us review their products. Unlike all the FTA site out there WE DON'T SELL ANYTHING so we can give an honest review of things. All these other sites always give glowing reviews to the proudts they sell, even if the product is CRAP. That is a big difference between us and other sites.

I disagree, the ME was never intended for the North American market. A few retailers who didn't care that the ME was junk decided to bring the box to the US even though the software was junk and not tweaked for the North American Market. If you want to blame anyone blame those who origionally thought more about profit above functionality. Other dealers started selling the ME later once the software got better because people were demanding the ME, just because it was the new AZbox.

For this box it looks like it is being crafted for our market which I applaud. And it appears its not being sold here until its ready for us. From what i have seen of this new box so far I may actually get one... I love my Azbox Elite, and with newer chipsets I feel this one could be even better then the Elite.

I'am blaming those who put profit before functionality Scott....namely Opensat!
I don't think any version of software will be perfect for the ME that they produce, I bet that's why production has stopped! They have probably found the MiniMe will work better as Powersurge said in his post that the 'firmware is more robust'
I'm in the UK and am using the AZtrino 1.85 from AZBox Canada as it's the only real one for feedhunters and they have done a great job of sorting out the problems, more than can be said for that useless lot in Portugal!

I'am blaming those who put profit before functionality Scott....namely Opensat!
I don't think any version of software will be perfect for the ME that they produce, I bet that's why production has stopped! They have probably found the MiniMe will work better as Powersurge said in his post that the 'firmware is more robust'
I'm in the UK and am using the AZtrino 1.85 from AZBox Canada as it's the only real one for feedhunters and they have done a great job of sorting out the problems, more than can be said for that useless lot in Portugal!

I was giving a ME to test out some time ago.
I found it lacking in too many areas compared to the Premium Plus receiver, however it seemed that when ever anyone tried to tell the truth they were quickly put down by others who wanted to hear only good things about it but the truth is the firmware for the ME is lacking and even now many months after it was released there is no firmware out there that corrects most of it's problems. Opensat is the real one to blame here as their firmware guy left the company before the ME was finalized and Opensat continued on expecting the end user to write their firmware for them.

When you have a receiver that should be capable of pulling in and playing certain signals and it does not then you have a real problem.
Certain CBS feeds do not play properly and even eScapes still does not play right on the ME.
Couple this with the fact that the other azbox's do not play the Luken mux on SES-2 and the video problems on channels like eScapes which other low cost receivers can pick up with no problems and no fixes for these speaks volumes that this is a receiver to stay away from until these are remedied.

I can not justify shelling out for a new receiver until they can prove to me they are serious and fix some of these current problems on the receivers out there now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)