First Look: DISH 381 Receiver

MikeD-C05 said:
Does anyone remember how bad that sd channels looked through the 811? They sucked. I feel sorry for anyone who uses this new 381 receiver and hopes to see good picture quality on the sd channels , which will make up 95 % of their tv viewing experience.:eek:
Bad SD PQ and bad SW. My parents' 811 was constantly losing the 110 sat and required disconnecting every receiver in the house to "reset" the DPP switch. Not to mention the constant reboots... I hated that 811 :mad:

I wouldn't wish the 381 on anybody, including ppl in Nebraska! :p

This probably uses a chip that does not support Turb-FEC, hence a lot cheaper to produce. This might be the high def receiver used by Bell EVu.

Looks like the 381 will be out soon, however don't look for it at your local retailer, for now it will only be available from DNSC.

Here is a discription from Dish of the new 381...

What is the DISH 381?
With the introduction of the MPEG4 receivers and the DishHD business requirements, the DISH 811 as an HD unit has become obsolete for new customers & existing customer upgrades in non-commercial applications. Due to 811 inventory levels, the opportunity was recognized to service and re-deploy the 811 as standard definition receiver. The serviced unit, which is referred to as a DISH 381, behaves like other single-tuner SD receivers. The DISH 381 will be used in non-Commercial applications by DNS ONLY interchangeably with the 301 and 311 receivers for leased receiver installations. Commercial will use the DISH 381 as a DISH 351 replacement.

I've got just the basic 180 package with 2 311 receivers. I added home theater systems to my tvs after I joined dish and for the last 8 months I've been calling dish trying to find a receiver that had a digital audio output but wouldn't effect my monthly rate, I'm happy with the service just want the connection to my Home Theater receiver. I kept getting told that the pvrs and hd receivers did but it would up my monthly rate.

Well tonight I called an was told about the release of the 381 that has a digital audio output and would not up my rate, but as immediate as my eyes widened they closed again, dish doesn't offer them yet and couldn't tell me when they would, but told me to check local retailers. I for one can't wait to get this receiver just for the output.

I can't belive they haven't offered a entry level receiver with this output before. Every electronic item made that has to do with audio has this now, not dish. Well I'm waiting if anyone knows when and where I can get one of these I would appreciate it.

Resurrected a very old Scott thread for the latest news.

Just been informed that, effective later this month, the 381 will no longer be changed out for another 381 and the END OF LIFE is being planned for sometime in the near future (no date yet).

Looks like they are methodically cleaning out a bunch of old series boxes.

But but... As a converted 811, it should be able to handle 8PSK just fine. Why don't they get rid of the 48/4900 series first?

Ask most any tech: the 381 is the biggest piece of garbage that Dish ever FORCED us to install.
This is good news.

For all the frustration it caused us techs, I'll be highly tempted to tie every 381 I deinstall to the back bumper and drag it back to the shop like Clark Griswold did to that dog in "National Lampoon's Vacation". ;)

But but... As a converted 811, it should be able to handle 8PSK just fine. Why don't they get rid of the 48/4900 series first?

or 27/28/3700 and 38/3900 receivers.They must be rock solid,only thing I can figure.

I have got where I look at the date of the thread start first before I read any further, than go to the last page and tab to the end and back up to the current post. All usually a wast of time because it wasn't worth reading to begin with.

I thought it fascinating how it all started and the opinions when it was "high tech" and was suprised how long it has survived before apparantly being terminated.

Sent using SatelliteGuys Android App

Ask most any tech: the 381 is the biggest piece of garbage that Dish ever FORCED us to install.
This is good news.

For all the frustration it caused us techs, I'll be highly tempted to tie every 381 I deinstall to the back bumper and drag it back to the shop like Clark Griswold did to that dog in "National Lampoon's Vacation". ;)

Could strap it on top of the roof along with grandma.

Sent using SatelliteGuys Android App

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts