FIRST LOOK: Dish ViP 612 HD DVR

DVR 612 Phone line

Does anyone know that since it is a 1 output receiver does it need to be hooked up to a phone line. To me this is more important then the PIP.

Also, I only have one wire into that room. Dish sent me a splitter, telling me I could use it to connect the 510 and a 211. That didn't work! But would it work for the612?

I can answer part, but it requries more info. Assuming the "splitter" they sent you is actually a separator and assuming that you have DPP equipment (either a DPP44 or a DPPTwin) then this will work perfectly.

A single tuner DVR will switch to the channel you are going to record in the middle of what you are already watching... you want this?

Yes, it is for a secondary tv. We won't be scheduling stuff for that tv and watching something else live. Plus, if it has an OTA tuner in it, we'd have another option anyway.

Gameroom/bedroom - at least for me there is not a demand in those locations to watch one thing live while recording another. The den is where I have that problem which the 622 is handling just fine.

The other option is a centralized system for recordings, then we could do away with the dual wire runs everywhere.

I was told by a Dish installer that he was told the 612 would only count as one tuner against the 4 tuner leased limit. If you can talk Dish into it, you could technically replace a 211 with a 612 without going over the limit. We'll have to wait and see if this is really the case.

I think this (along with the 211 conversion via USB) is a part of a strategy by Dish to eventually go with a 100% DVR tuner lineup. They plan to ue this as a marketing tool against D* who charges a large upfront fee for all DVRs I believe.

Larry

The 612 can only be added as the 2nd or 3rd receiver to your Dish Account, the bad thing is this 612 is basically a 211 on DVR Crack! :)

I was told by a Dish installer that he was told the 612 would only count as one tuner against the 4 tuner leased limit. If you can talk Dish into it, you could technically replace a 211 with a 612 without going over the limit. We'll have to wait and see if this is really the case.

I think this (along with the 211 conversion via USB) is a part of a strategy by Dish to eventually go with a 100% DVR tuner lineup. They plan to ue this as a marketing tool against D* who charges a large upfront fee for all DVRs I believe.

Larry

You are right about the DTV charging a huge upfront sum for a DVR but the thing is you can right now get an HD DVR retail price of $199 for $99 and all kinds of promotional stuff, but you're wrong to thing that this is a strategy by Dish to go 100% DVR tuner, remember most of your Dish Net customers are older and are grumpy and don't understand what the *Explictive* a DVR is, so the 311 will always exist untill they replace it with a 312 or a 313 or possibly an 007 lol :D

My question to you is should I buy a 612 to review it? Everything about this unit is the same as the 622, do you think its worth it for me to spend my own personal money to review something that we already know how it works? Please let me know your thoughts on this. :)

Yes Scott I Think You should. But reviewing receivers, is a tough job. I think you should send me your FyreTV receiver to avoid distractions while you make your review of the Dish 612 receiver. Take your time. Make it, a very thorough review.

Yes scott

Yes Scott I Think You should. But reviewing receivers, is a tough job. I think you should send me your FyreTV receiver to avoid distractions while you make your review of the Dish 612 receiver. Take your time. Make it, a very thorough review.

Scott, so that your expense is not totally wasted, I would buy it for half price when your review is done!

I was excited when I talked to a CSR the other day - he said they would swap out my 622 for two 612's (I also have a 625 so my count is already at four). But I don't think I could live with the small disk on the 612 for my main TV as I was already filling my 622. I know you can add an external disk, but I choke on having to fork out for a disk, and a fee when they could have put a decent disk in it for about $5 more. I suppose that would be cheaper than keeping the 622 on lease and buying a 612.

Can someone explain how the 612 differs from the older DTV HD-Tivo.

In regards to basic recording and the two tuners.

The DTV HD-Tivo has two tuners.

It's a single room box.

It does "not" have PIP but there is a button on the remote to swap between the two tuners.

To record I use the guide to the channel I want and hit record.

Now I hit guide and I can find another channel and record it too.

Or just watch live.

This 612 says it is a single room box and has two tuners.

I didn't see where it said I could only record one show.
Is this correct?
Watch one show live and at the same time "record" another channel.
But "not" record two channels at the same time.

Also, how do you bounce between the two tuners if you just wanted to watch two live football games and easily swap back and forth between the games or pause game 1 swap to game 2 then pause game 2 and swap back to game 1 and continue on. Can this be done with the 612?

A bit confusing reading the posts.

Hopefully someone could clear up my confusion.

Thanks, bjf

Scott, so that your expense is not totally wasted, I would buy it for half price when your review is done!

I was excited when I talked to a CSR the other day - he said they would swap out my 622 for two 612's (I also have a 625 so my count is already at four). But I don't think I could live with the small disk on the 612 for my main TV as I was already filling my 622. I know you can add an external disk, but I choke on having to fork out for a disk, and a fee when they could have put a decent disk in it for about $5 more. I suppose that would be cheaper than keeping the 622 on lease and buying a 612.

My bad - upon further checking it appears that the 612 may have a larger hard drive since they say it has more recording time than the 622...

A number of ?

I have a 622 and a 211 leased. Will a 612 exceed their 4 tuner lease limit? Or will they allow it, since it is only a single output? I just put a HD tv in a room with a Dish 510. Actually all I need is a single tuner HD DVR: but that doesn't exist.

Anyone know the price to buy a 612? Also, I only have one wire into that room. Dish sent me a splitter, telling me I could use it to connect the 510 and a 211. That didn't work! But would it work for the612?
i think you will need a separator, and the 612 only counts as one tuner.

Does anyone know that since it is a 1 output receiver does it need to be hooked up to a phone line. To me this is more important then the PIP.
no its doesn't have to be conn to a phone line. they are going to charge a rcvr fee just like they do for a single tuner