FIRST LOOK: Dish ViP 612 HD DVR

oh BTW, I will be getting a 612, i will let you know if i have any probs. it comes out on the 1st i will let yall know the price. i will be getting it then.

starting 1/1 E* is getting rid of the 100 dollar rebate. instead they are just cutting 100 off the upgrade fee. i think it will probably be the same cust as the 622 to upgrade (149.00) so minus that 100 now. it will be around 49 to upgrade through the dish'n it up promotion.

RobP - Since you had 5 responses in a row it would be nice if you could condense all of those into 1 response :)

you would think, I read a post then posted back then went back to reading again and found something else to reply to and again. im so sorry that i didnt do it the way you would like.

Last edited:
Yeah I was looking at getting one... but as of now, probably due to supply, they will only do it as an install... I'll be patient and wait for the shipping fee instead... if it follows suit, the 211 is $75 installed, $25 shipped... so even if it's $30 or $35, cheaper to replace my 411 with the 612 than wait for the external hdd support...

Also, the Dish site says EHD support is coming for 612... lol.. here we go again??

Just upgraded my 510 to a 612. Instillation Feb.4. $75 install fee and a 24 month commitment. After reading some comments from people that have switched to Direct, I'm not going any where anyway. I want more HD too; but it will come. Even if it is not as soon as we would like.

Debating on finally surrendering my 508 for the 612. The 508 is on a bedroom TV. My original thoughts were "ahhh, it's only a bedroom TV" so I never upgraded it when we got the 622 down in the living room.

Since that time I have walked into the living room, noticed my wife watching some cop show (I'm not interested) so I go upstairs to watch TV even if it IS only SD (on an HD LCD tv..... *sigh*). I get settled in. I'm watching something. *BAM!* it switches over to something she had set up to record in the bedroom! .... dad-burn-it .... if I had a dual tuner DVR that only output to one TV it would be perfect for up there.

BUT... (and it's a big but...) Dish just sent us a notice about a price increase (I haven't read it yet. My wife told me about it). My 508 has an "extra receiver access fee" on it. If I remove teh 508 and replace it with a 612, what "fees" will I see then? A DVR fee AND an extra receiver access fee? I have it connected to a phone line.

cparker,

"If I remove teh 508 and replace it with a 612, what "fees" will I see then? A DVR fee AND an extra receiver access fee? I have it connected to a phone line."

I hope I understood correctly. Replacing my 510 with a 612 will cost me $1 more per month.

hmmmmm.... I was just on the phone with Dish about my billing and asked about the 612. They told me I couldn't have one. :)

No... what they said was that I can't get one as an upgrade because I did the DIU thing back in August. So I have to wait until next August to upgrade the 508 to a 612? If they're going to make me wait that long I may just forget about it.... heheh

I don't care about PIP but do wish to be able to record one HD ch. while watching another HD ch. BUT, if Dish, I guess through All American Direct, doesn't come up with networks in HD by summer, it's goodby Dish, hello Direct TV. Based on everything I have read here, I would prefer to have a Dish HD DVR. I have Comcast in a house i have 4 sale and they have me spoiled for HD networks even though they don't offer anywhere near the channels in HD that Dish has. At least I get SciFi in HD.

Last edited:
I am getting a 612

I called Dish this morning and I am going to replace one of my 211's for the 612. I qualify for the Dishn' it up promotion and I was told it will be a total of $25 for the install. This is going in my basement where I really need a DVR. I figure for $25 what the heck!

I don't understand the need of the 612.

I have "heard" that the 612 does not require a phone connection.

Therefore this guy would be great for mobile users. Campers for example.

It would also be good for those who want HD, but where their TV is, it is hard to get a phone line to.

The need

I don't understand the need of the 612.

The need is that it is a receiver that only counts as 1 receiver towards your maximum leased receiver count of four. Of course, the could simply have changed the 622 to only count as one or increasing the maximum for good customers. The 612 is probably cheaper to manufacture as well, so there is less financial risk to let you lease multiple of them. This receiver will work great for me since I currently have a 625 for two TVs, and a 622 for my main TV. I want to add a HD DVR in another room, and can now get there by swapping the 622 for a 612 and adding another 612.

Considering how the content providers don't like the idea of Dish (or many others) sending a true HD signal to secondary, tertiary, additional TV's, the 612 could be Dish's solution to providing true HD to as many as 4 HDTV's in the home without exceeding the current 4 tuner limit.

Ironically the point of the 2 TV output boxes was to save money by reducing the number of boxes per install. Now, Dish, IMHO, is being forced back to installing 4 boxes for 4 HDTV's in a household. The pressure to make this option as cost effective as possible is probably why there is no PIP. Every penny counts when multiplied by thousands and thousands of boxes. Just my two cents worth on the subject.

No PIP is a deal breaker with me.

I might have traded my 211 for a 612 but without PIP - NO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)