Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
SatelliteGuys.US is proud to give you another first look, this time at the upcoming Dish ViP722 High Definition DVR.

The 722 was supposed to be just a newer version of the 622 with a larger hard drive and Microsoft VC1 support. However I am thinking that after many here on SatelliteGuys would exchange their 622 via warranty or DHPP in the hopes they would get a new improved Dish 622. Dish got smart and made it a new receiver model and a different color (this time in black)

While VC1 is not mentioned on this spec sheet, we do believe this is the reason why they mention the unit is "HD VOD-capable"

We are also guessing that its got the new improved HDMI connection, which was a problem on many early 622's. The HDMI port is marked HDMI, but we can't make out the small writing under the port.

For most of us there is no reason at this time to jump for a 722, especially if the external storage feature is coming later this summer as Dish promised at CES. THE HD VOD option while it sounds promising is still a long way off, and when it does work its going to take a long time to download even if you have a very fast internet connection.

Attachments

• Dish VIP722 Spec Sheet.pdf
    141.7 KB · Views: 3,857
I wonder if there is going to be a price difference between the 722 and 622. I imagine it would be the same price as it would be the replacement for the 622. Does the user get any additional space to record shows or is the larger hard drive going to be dedicated for additional VOD like the 625 does with its larger hard drive vs the 522?

Both units only state 30 hours of HD recording. So I guess the larger hard drive is used for the HD VOD??

Tom in TX

Yes I hope they got all the bugs with the 622 fixed in this model.

Sorry I will pass . IT is just like the 622 except in black. Having vod in hd is nice but who knows when , if and at what price it will be.

All it has is more VOD? Something I never use anyway. I am not impressed. I get a kick out of E*'s VOD, they are trying to compete with cables "on demand" but they charge for most everything and cables is mostly free.

Hmm, marketing dept as usual have last word.
It has been announced as ViP622-1, now with new hype - 722.
NIce pitch for new sales spiral :(.
It will have 500 GB disk for new revenue from HD VOD. I see. I would predict dish will charge $15.99 per HD movie.

this is equivalent to the difference between 522 and 625. Bigger hard drive. Different model number. Bigger VOD space. Still one OTA tuner, same everything else. I hate VOD but still I want one. All my other equipment is black :(

I wish they'd either (1) decide once and for all what color to use or (2) sell swappable faceplates.

Last edited:
Scott: Any guesses on how soon it will be "real."

I was thinking about upgrading my 942.

I'm in no real rush, but don't want to wait a year either.

I'd like to get a black HD receiver again. Haven't had one since the ole Dish 6000. I won't get rid of my 622 for it. But my 510 is getting old and I'd like to a Flat Panel in the bed room. The 722 could go downstairs and the 622 upstairs.

BTW: Didn't someone on here post once about how they changed their 622 from Silver to Black?

Last edited:
When I first read bigger hard drive, I got excited. But 30 hours of HD is 30 hours, just what I have now. And I too don't care about VOD. I don't think I'll be an early adopter on this one. I certainly am not going to pay $300 for the privilege of dishing it up like I did on the 622. :(

Maybe in a year though, since by then my 622 will be 2 years old, and will probably need to be retired anyway. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts