First Look: TV2 IR Converter Kit

Took TheKrell's suggestion and tested out the converter box without the Slingbox in the loop, found out the following:
- Using the remote 6.3 (without flipping the blue key at the bottom of the remote), I was able to control TV2 by pointing at the IR receiver; that proved that the converter box was successfully sending the IR signal to the VIP722;
- To ensure that the VIP722 only "listen" to IR signal when a command was sent from the remote, I took the UHF antenna off from the setup, and tried to control TV2 from a different room, and nothing happened.
So, with this experiement, can I conclude that the Slingbox needs further attention? Ie., correct/compatible IR code for VIP722?:confused:?

:eek: That's not a very definitive test. Maybe you can concentrate on the slingbox. But I can also imagine that, without the antenna installed, the remote might still work via UHF when the range is small, i.e. in the same room "pointed at" the converter box, and not work when in another room. Recommend removing the battery cover on the 6.3 and flipping the blue key over to turn it into IR-only.

Hmm... a bit confuse here... the "blue" side of the key says "2 UHF Pro", so I thought it would transmit both UHF and IR, the "black" side says "UHF", therefore I thought it would set the remote to UHF mode only. Anyhow, I did flip the key over to the black side, and point the remote to the converter box's IR receiver.... aaaaaaaahhhh!!! Nothing happened!!! So I am thinking: a) The remote neither transmit UHF nor IR when key turned to black side; or b) the IR code transmitted by the remote is incompatible to the converter box/VIP722; 3) the Converter box is DOA!!!:rant:

Even though the black keys just says "UHF" I can confirm the remote is also outputting IR. Make sure you have the dip switches on the bottom of the converter set correctly. FYI, with the black key, I think the remote is transmitting sold older UHF codes that aren't compatible with the 722 (but the IR codes it transmits definitely are).

Yes, I can confirm that as well. And on a 612 on the system setup screen, I flipped the key over and hit the record button, and the 612 switched to IR-only. So I claim it's really IR-only despite what the black side says.

Assuming your remote is set to address #1, then I think your converter box is DOA.

So I did make sure the switch on the back of the converter is set to TV2, Band A (which in line with the remote address 1), and checked the dip switch inside the battery compartment is set to A, then flipped the blue key over to black side and hit the record button (as suggested).... And hit the POWER button on the remote... nothing happend to the VIP722. I think I am throwing in the towel and declare my TV2 IR conveter box is DOA!!! Thanks for all the help... or unless you can think of something else that I can try.:rant:

Just want to share some good news... I finally got the converter box to work with my slingbox. Yeeeehawww!!! With everything failed in attempt to make the converter box to work with my VIP722, I was able to try the converter with my brother's, whose receiver is VIP222. First attempt without the slingbox in the loop (as suggested), and switch the remote to IR only mode, it worked!!! Then I tried to rearrange the cables and connections... then it STOPPED working. I said, wait a minute... what have I done differently... hmmm? So I retraced every steps that I've made from the first attempt, just like that young priest in the Fifth Element, when Bruce Willis asks him to tell how did he open the "stone". It sounded silly... but it all comes down to this:
1) Plug in the AC adapter into the wall outlet FIRST; then
2) Plug the other end of the power cable to the DC connector of the coverter box.
Why? I have no idea... but it worked. I can repeat it again and again!!!

I'm curious if this IR converter will help me with my situation.

I just upgraded our dish from a 625Duo DVR to an HD 722Vip DVR.

The UHF remote for TV2 works for approximately 60-90 seconds and then ceases to control anything on the DVR no matter how close we are to the unit.

Going back to the setup screen can sometimes make it start working again.

I've tried every possible code change, I've tried the UHF strength boost trick, I've extended the length/location of the UHF antenna, I've reset the unit several times, I've changed the batteries.

I've tried every possible thing I can think of or have read on posts. The problem is something inside the 722, not the remote. So I'm wondering if I got the IR converter for the UHF TV2 remotes, would that fix this problem since it would be transmitting over IR instead of UHF then?

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem and what was your solution?

I've had it for less than 2 days and absolutely hate it compared to the 625 I had before which never failed like this.

That is bizarre. I went from a 625 to a 722 and never experienced anything like that. How do you know it's not the remote? That's the cheapest/easiest to replace...

Well I have 2 TV2 remotes. They both stop working at the same time.

Tonight I stretched out a 20' section of cable and put the antenna at the end, thinking maybe interference from my wireless router might be causing the problem. I've had a bit of success. It isn't 100% all the time, but it is much better than it has been so far tonight.

I wanted to try combining the TV2 cable with the UHF antenna to have the antenna in the room where the TV2 set is located. The picture was horrible though.

I'm curious if this IR converter will help me with my situation.

I just upgraded our dish from a 625Duo DVR to an HD 722Vip DVR.

The UHF remote for TV2 works for approximately 60-90 seconds and then ceases to control anything on the DVR no matter how close we are to the unit.

I've had it for less than 2 days and absolutely hate it compared to the 625 I had before which never failed like this.

I would call tech support and ask for a replacemtn unit before spending $ on an IR converter.

I was thinking they should have replaced the receiver since I thought you said the problem existed on two different remotes. Well, if the new remote doesn't fix it, then you have more justification for a replacement revceiver and still get a new remote out of it too.

Sounds like this is exactly what I was looking for. In fact, I just got off the phone with Dish Network Support and they did not mention this is a possible solution. I have a VIP 722 DVR but only one TV. My wife wants the ability to record two shows at the same time.

Sounds like this is exactly what I was looking for... I have a VIP 722 DVR but only one TV. My wife wants the ability to record two shows at the same time.
:confused: Your wife can do so right now without a TV2 adapter.

Need Help

I have a 722k and a Sling HD Pro. I've tried all the tips listed here, done the remote code switching a good dozen times, I've tried the trick of plugging in the converter to the AC first then the DC but I've got nothing. I've got the video working but I can't get the IR Converter working at all. Is there something I'm missing or do you think I've just got a dead Converter?

Thanks

I have a 722k and a Sling HD Pro. I've tried all the tips listed here, done the remote code switching a good dozen times, I've tried the trick of plugging in the converter to the AC first then the DC but I've got nothing. I've got the video working but I can't get the IR Converter working at all. Is there something I'm missing or do you think I've just got a dead Converter?

Thanks
I think you have to flip the little "TV2" tab on the bottom of the remote around. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but you have to take the tab out and so that the other side is showing "UHF".

I think you have to flip the little "TV2" tab on the bottom of the remote around. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but you have to take the tab out and so that the other side is showing "UHF".

I've tried flipping that back and forth but when you've got it hooked up to the Slingbox you're supposed to be able to leave it on UHF so you can still control TV2 with that remote in the other room. I've made sure to flip the band switch on the converter from B to A to match the code for TV2 (Code 1, UHF Band A) and I still can't get anything.

have pulled out almost every one of my few remaining hairs trying to get the Harmony 890 to work with my TV 2 on a Dish VIP622 DVR. TV 1 and the DVR unit are in my Den. TV2 is in my living room which is approximately 60 feet from the DVR unit.
The Harmony remote is strictly IR ( although it did come with an RF transmitter to increase its effective range.

I am able to get the Harmony to control TV 1 with no problems. Since the TV2 option in the system information screen shows that TV2 is UHF only, I bought the IR converter to try and get around this. Unfortunately, the converter came without a shred of instruction, and the box appeared to have been previously opened, so i am guessing that the instructions didn't make their way back into the box.

The kit came with the converter, a power supply, 3-12" coax cables, and a very sturdy looking diplexer. I have installed the converter and its "eye" in-line with TV2, attaching the cable from the receiver in to the receiver port, and the tv port to the tv using one of the small coax cables that came with the converter. The diplexer has not been installed, since I have absolutely no idea where or even if I should use it. The Harmony remote still does not work with TV2. I have tried using every single one of the 16 possible remote addresses, to no avail. Currently, the remote address is set back to 1 since I have read several places (online) that this is the address that must be used....but for the record, I have tried all 16.

Can anyone help with this?. Naturally, I bought a refurbished Harmony remote from a "seller" on Amazon, making it impossible to return. Can anyone tell me how to make this configuration work with the Harmony remote? DO I still need to use the RF extender that came with the remote? Do I need to uninstall the UHF antenna? Do I need to install the diplexer that came with the IR converter? Help! I have tried to find the User Manual for the converter online, but the only thing i have been able to find were some diagrams from THIS awesome website.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)