First real problem with Dish

Ghpr13

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 1, 2009
Louisville, KY
Well, tonight I had my first real problem with Dish.
On J
ul 17, 2010 at 11:48 AM, I got a phone call from Dish offering to upgrade me from the 200 pack to the 250 pack. It would be a prorated rate of .32/day till my next billing. Also, if at anytime I wanted to downgrade back to my 200 pack, the downgrade fee would be waived.
I agreed to this and made sure I got the name & operating # of the person that called me with this offer. I also took down the name & # of the "confirming" person, who also verified the above details of the offer.
Well guess what??? I just went to online chat to downgrade back to my 200 pack (I just don't feel the 50 added channels are worth it, IMO the Encore channels, Chiller, and Fox Movie Channel are just crap) and the CSR refused to waive the downgrade fee. I know, surprise! Surprise!...
Well after giving him all the dates, names and numbers, and having him still refuse to waive the fee, I ended the conversation by telling him I would be posting this on Satelliteguys.US forum.
Then I called Dish programming and went though the whole thing again. This guy, still refused to wave the fee. So I told him that I'm not going to accept that. That Dish called me with this offer and they need to follow though with it. I mean it's not like I waited 6 months or something, but even if I had, the offer was the downgrade fee would be waive...no matter what or why.
He contacted a supervisor and he did waive the fee as "a one time courtesy". I was going to tell him "don't give me that one time courtesy bit...this was part of an offer that Dish made to me", but why waste my breath.
The chat CSR did offer me a PPV coupon, but I wasn't after a freebie. I just wanted Dish to honor the offer they gave me. I know $5.00 isn't a big deal, but hey, you call me and offer me a deal then you better stick to it.
I had a bad feeling when I got the email confirming my upgrade because there was no mention of downgrade fee being waved or the prorate charge.
At least I learn a lesson I kind of already knew. When doing anything with Dish make sure you have it in black & white, either a copy of the chat or a sign document.
OK. It's over and I feel better now!
Ghpr13:)

Glad you got it fixed. I learned ( with Directv) long ago that it's best for me to just start with the package I really want and just stay there because things like this can happen. My first year with Dish is almost up and I'm still digging it like I did at day 1. Hope I feel that way after another year.

Good you stood up! I grant that they may have a valid basis for not being held to an "unauthorized" deal offered by a junior droid- but really! From a customer service point of view, a polite "yes sir" would have been a lot better for all concerned.

I vaguely remember a story about an angry customer going in to a high end department store and complaining about the tires he had bought there. The floor walker immediately apologized and gave the man a full refund, and was later praised for his handling of the matter. That store did not sell tires. But they sold Customer Service!

Priester: Nice avatar. A bit much green, perhaps......

Hmm, that sucks, glad it all worked out though.

Makes me wonder if I'll get shafted by downgrade fees if I cancel HBO/Showtime after the free 3 months is up.

You will be charged, I believe, if you do not cancel just before the 3 months are up. By which time they will have already charged you for the following month. But that could be refunded.

MIGHT be charged a downgrade fee even if you do it early.

Hmm, that sucks, glad it all worked out though.

Makes me wonder if I'll get shafted by downgrade fees if I cancel HBO/Showtime after the free 3 months is up.

When Dish gave me the HBO/Showtime offer, I asked what date did my offer end on. Then I marked it on my calendar. 3 days before my end date I contacted Dish by chat and told them I wanted to cancel HBO/Showtime promo. I was able to cancel it without any problem and was assured that there would be no downgrade fee since I canceled before the promo was over. There was no problem that time for me and all went well.

Thanks to all those who in the forum that gave me a "pat on the back" for standing up to Dish. The best to all of you in your future dealings with Dish!

Ghpr13:)

priester68 said:
Glad you got it fixed. I learned ( with Directv) long ago that it's best for me to just start with the package I really want and just stay there because things like this can happen. My first year with Dish is almost up and I'm still digging it like I did at day 1. Hope I feel that way after another year.

Really? Direct does not charge a downgrade fee. You simply have to have any package for the whole month you pay for it.

Hard to believe they quibbled over $5! There used to be a time when a CSR even at the lowest level of the foodchain was empowered to grant a good bit more than free PPV coupons to rebuild customer relations!

"Get it in writing" is becoming more than a cliche! I'm at the point that if I believe a conversation with a Dish CSR could become contentious for any reason then I use the on-line chat instead so I automatically get that written record. (I copy/paste the concluded dialog right from the screen in advance of getting the confirming e-mail in case that gets hosed for some reason...)

Good you stood up! I grant that they may have a valid basis for not being held to an "unauthorized" deal offered by a junior droid- but really! From a customer service point of view, a polite "yes sir" would have been a lot better for all concerned.

I vaguely remember a story about an angry customer going in to a high end department store and complaining about the tires he had bought there. The floor walker immediately apologized and gave the man a full refund, and was later praised for his handling of the matter. That store did not sell tires. But they sold Customer Service!

The store was the flagship Nordstrom's in Seattle, Wa.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)