first time set-up

Status
Please reply by conversation.
btw. on Dishnetwork I have SD and HD channels next to each other e.g. channel 300 HBO in SD and 300 HBO in HD side by side

My current Directv set-up deletes the SD channel when the same channel is avail in HD.

Do you have the same or do you have both options HD and SD avail. ?

Last edited:
Raf, A little confusing:
* Q: I am using the 0/22Khz controlled switch EC-2111. Does it need to be powered ?

EC-2111 will not work, it is a switch that will either active port 1 with 0 KHz tone or port 2 with 22 KHz tone.
?you can not use that device to combine it works more like a selector.

Read my previous posts. If you don't use an SWM multiswitch you will NOT get guide data when you are tuned to a channel from 103.

texasbrit: I still do not understand why converting a already screw up signal into SWM would solve the current problem.
But if this would be the solution:

* I have no idea about SWM. What switch with amp would I need for my case?
* I do have one SWM lnb which came with a 21V power supply.

thanks

Guide data:
With your current setup you will only get guide data if you are tuned to a 99 or 101 station. That's because of DirecTV's signal stack plan. There isn't enough bandwidth for the signals from all the satellites to be seen by the receiver at the same time, so DirecTV stacks the 99/101 signals together, and the 103/110/119 signals together. At any one time, the receiver is only seeing one set of signals, either the 99/101 or the 103/110/119. Great idea at the time, but what to do about guide data? If the guide data was only on 101, a receiver tuned to a 103/110/119 channel would not see guide data. So DirecTV decided to put the guide data on 101 AND 119, so regardless of what satellite the receiver was tuned to, it would also receive guide data.
Now along came the Slimline 3. That does not receive 119, so how to solve the guide data problem when you tune to a 103 channel? They could not change the signal stack plan, because that would mean modifying all the receivers already out there. So they came up with a clever idea, they faked the 119 guide data by putting the 101 data onto the 103 signals. That was done inside the LNB. So the receiver when it is on a 103 channel thinks it is still getting guide data from 119.

And the SWM LNB is no help. You need an SWM8 multiswitch, with the 29v power inserter.

But you don't have the Slimline 3 LNB, you have separate LNBs. This means when you are tuned to a 103 channel, there is no guide data. You solve this by going to the SWM switch. SWM carries the guide data over a separate guide data channel between the SWM switch and the receivers, and the SWM switch always takes the guide data from 101, it does not matter what channel you are tuned to.
Using the SWM switch won't change the signal levels you are getting from any of the satellites, they will be just the same. But it will make sure that any guide data updates you are getting from 101 are there even when you are watching a 103 channel.

Raf: the new switch does not work for 99W but only for 101W
new diplexer PVDP-2 003.JPG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POtio1zl6TU
Any idea ?

The question is: "what is this combiner/duplexer"
karin directv kaku 032.JPG

Thanks, Wolfgang

Last edited:
Guide data:
With your current setup you will only get guide data if you are tuned to a 99 or 101 station. That's because of DirecTV's signal stack plan. There isn't enough bandwidth for the signals from all the satellites to be seen by the receiver at the same time, so DirecTV stacks the 99/101 signals together, and the 103/110/119 signals together. At any one time, the receiver is only seeing one set of signals, either the 99/101 or the 103/110/119. Great idea at the time, but what to do about guide data? If the guide data was only on 101, a receiver tuned to a 103/110/119 channel would not see guide data. So DirecTV decided to put the guide data on 101 AND 119, so regardless of what satellite the receiver was tuned to, it would also receive guide data.
Now along came the Slimline 3. That does not receive 119, so how to solve the guide data problem when you tune to a 103 channel? They could not change the signal stack plan, because that would mean modifying all the receivers already out there. So they came up with a clever idea, they faked the 119 guide data by putting the 101 data onto the 103 signals. That was done inside the LNB. So the receiver when it is on a 103 channel thinks it is still getting guide data from 119.

And the SWM LNB is no help. You need an SWM8 multiswitch, with the 29v power inserter.

But you don't have the Slimline 3 LNB, you have separate LNBs. This means when you are tuned to a 103 channel, there is no guide data. You solve this by going to the SWM switch. SWM carries the guide data over a separate guide data channel between the SWM switch and the receivers, and the SWM switch always takes the guide data from 101, it does not matter what channel you are tuned to.
Using the SWM switch won't change the signal levels you are getting from any of the satellites, they will be just the same. But it will make sure that any guide data updates you are getting from 101 are there even when you are watching a 103 channel.

ok, that does make sense; no doubt !
There are 2 things:

1.) I will need the right Diplexer/combiner. With the current switch I am loosing too many tps.

101W direct:
101 direct plus amp (2).JPG

101W with switch:
reg. set-up 101.JPG

2. that sat dealer in Mexico would sell his system in SWM if it had significant advantages:
http://www.cp-electronics.com/eng/proddetail.php?prod=DIRECTV-LNB-KIT&cat=19
Don't you think so ?

Anyhow, I went ahead and ordered me the 8 Channel Single Wire Multi-switch (SWM) with 29V Remote Power Inserter

Thanks.

Last edited:
Unless his 103 LNB is also picking up 101, his system is going to lose the guide data.

?been discussed in the last several posts, thats the purpose of the swm8 or swm16, to move guide data to its own channel.

Right, that has been my point all along. But the kit of LNBs the OP posted uses a WB68 not an SWM8/16, look at the picture, so it will have a guide data problem.

Right, that has been my point all along. But the kit of LNBs the OP posted uses a WB68 not an SWM8/16, look at the picture, so it will have a guide data problem.

No sht.... hmmm thats interesting, I never caught that until just now, sorry i misunderstood your point, I have no idea how that would have for the other dude. BEcause that setup looks old enough to predate swm entirely.

Vixen:

read in detail the diplxers that arrived do not have power pass in both ports only in the satellite port or 101w the model I linked had power pass on both ports, the only solution is to inject vdc to the 99 w lnb that isn't receiving at the moment any voltage to power up.

the diplexer I suggested was PVDP-2PP

image.jpg

My advice:

You are learning about this and I have posted how I suspect the thing works, read in detail the posts because you need to understand what you are doing to get the task done.

1.- Test to see if your area has Ka signals out of 99 & 103 (done).
2.- Figure out how to combine ka-lo with ku L band (to be done).
3.- Figure out how to better serve the receiver with those signals.

To achieve point #2 you have to understand very well what you are doing, therefore and once again I will explain, you need to combine 2 different lnb, also both need to be powered, without power the lnb will not function.

To achieve point #3: My two cents: the legacy switch should work as good as the SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch).
to understand well what it is and what does the swm, look at this video:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WkpahQBYFYc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DWkpahQBYFYc

The main difference is that it simplifies the install, specially for dual tuner receivers because the technology assigns a frequency band for each receiver, up to 8 per swm, for more you need to expand the system.

legacy is more bulky but should work.
swm is nice and neat single wire that can be splitable up to 8 times for 8 tuners or 4 dual tuners.

I posted previously that you can feed a swm 8 switch with your legacy lnbs but you MUST focus on acheiving all signals and combing them.

?good luck.

...but legacy switch will have the guide problem when tuned to 103!!!!

Otherwise I agree with you. I think the OP has been given all the info he needs but needs to understand it, the problem is he just seems to get stuff without thinking....

the diplexer I suggested was PVDP-2PP

The switches I have are PVDP-2.
Is there a difference ?
Ok, now I noticed the dual power passing while mine has power passing just on one side.
Will try to order the correct switches.
This will be difficult. After searching for an hour I have not found a merchant.

I also ordered a SWM 8 Multiswitch with 29V power but I have doubts because the tp signal for the guide won't reach the switch.

thanks.

Last edited:
You're correct about the diplexers (they are not switches). You MUST have power passing on both ports otherwise both LNBs will not get power.
And what did you mean by "the TP won't reach the switch"?

The switches I have are PVDP-2.
Is there a difference ?
Ok, now I noticed the dual power passing while mine has power passing just on one side.
Will try to order the correct switches.
This will be difficult. After searching for an hour I have not found a merchant.

Please don't confuse switch with Diplexor, and when placing the order, even call if possible to be sure it has dual port power passing
Here are some merchants I found:

http://www.minidish.com/cyberstore/product.asp?PID=PVDP2PP

https://digital-connections.tv/shop/diplexer-two-port-power-passive

http://prowirecommunications.com/store/product14.html

http://www.clrtec.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1721

And what did you mean by "the TP won't reach the switch"?

Currently my switch/combiner is not correct and will not let the tp for the guide through to the 4x8 switch.
Therefore it will not matter if I use SWM or non-SWM.

As of now I have to unplug the 103 so the guide (coming from the 101) can get through. Once I plug the 103 back in, several tps from 101 are missing, amongst the tps for the guide.

Here are some merchants I found:

Earlier I searched several hours for that right diplexer. I think I visited all these online merchants.

2 of the online merchants have a broken check out, broken basket; one merchant (clrtec.com) wants me to approve me first before I can place order . . .

Minidish.com seems to be the only actively working merchant but after I placed the order and paid but I did not get an order confirmation by email. Not a good sign.

Have you considered just buying the kit out of the Mexican web site I gave you? sometimes in life you can't win it all; you have to loose in order to win......

Yes, of course. First the kit was sold out. Later the LNB mount was not available. I am especially interested in the mount as I might be able to better tweak the signal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)