First time setting up a Coolsat 6000

Status
Please reply by conversation.
There is something up with my NEW C/ KU band LNBF, as soon as I replaced it with my old Chaparral Feedhorn and LNB (even though it has no servo motor, meaning I only get H polarity) I am able to blind scan using the LNB setup you originally recommended (Single 5150)

How the heck do I get the new LNBF to work? Since this thing came with no manual, is it necessary to connect it through the SW 21K before I connect it to the Coolsat? I know this thing has also Ku Band but I am not even testing that yet. This polarity situation keeps stomping me!

2hgsj13.jpg

dont use the switch.

Hook the cable from the C-Band side (which is the coax on that "box" part not at the end of the LNB) to the receiver and try

Were you using the switch before?

dont use the switch.

Hook the cable from the C-Band side (which is the coax on that "box" part not at the end of the LNB) to the receiver and try

Were you using the switch before?

I havent used the switch since I began yesterday, and yeah, I was connecting it exactly as you say but to no avail.

I still haven't figured out how you can change the polarity of the LNBF via the Coolsat

I still haven't figured out how you can change the polarity of the LNBF via the Coolsat
With an LNBF, the Receiver controls the polarity with Voltage, 13 volts for Vertical and 18 volts for Horizontal. When you change Transponders, the Receiver sends the proper Voltage to the LNBF, which switches polarity accordingly.

One thing I know for sure is that you need to turn off Lnb power.
Because you have it slaved with your analog receiver and that one is already sendng signal to the lnb.
If you turn on lnbpower I don't know but if you did it you probably blew your lnb because then it gets like 2 times18 volts and that's 36 volts then you mess up your lnb.

Lnb type I don't know much about but lnb frequency forC BAND should be 5150 mhz I think i'm not good at remebering numbers but try that 5150 mhz for c band.
Te number you are saying is probbly for Ku but for C band has to be something like that.
Diseqc swicth should be off because you're using the analog receiver to move the dish so you're not using Diseqc.
Legacy sw I don't know what that is.
But try those and see if t works.

I think that is what happened because I have tested every which way possible and this LNBF simply does not change polarity and now isn't even tuning TELEFUTURA which was the one channel I was able to catch.
I replaced the LNBF with my old Chaparral Feedhorn and LNB (without servomotor) and I have been adding channels first horizontal polarity and then I manually rotate the thing where the servomotor is supposed to be and I do the vertical pol channels. I am now getting many of the channels on the Skyvision list. I guess I can just buy a servomotor and use it on the old Chaparral feedhorn, but I spent almost 80 bucks on the LNBF and wanna also grab the KU band feeds. :rant:

As you can all gather by now I am a neophyte when it comes to voltage and electrical stuff but is there a way of knowing if indeed I blew the LNBF like can I take it to a electrician and ask him to test the voltage?

now if the LNBF is ok could the other possibility be that my used Coolsat is not regulating voltage therefore the LNBF doesn't work properly? have you guys heard of such scenario?

John what analog receiver are you using? I read back thru all these posts and didn't see it mentioned. Did it ever work properly with this new C-lnbf? I remember other people having lots of problems with those things, I forget which model it was, they could get c but little ku, peaked for ku and have other problems, etc.
If you're sure your cable connectors are ok, and the cable isn't cut or split someplace and rusty, I'd go with getting the analog side C-band working first. Start at your due-south satellite or one close as you can get to it, and adjust that lnbf to get some analog..then check the other sats to see if you're tracking the arc properly. When nothing works, I always go back to square one and begin again.

Im using a Uniden UST 2300 Satellite Receiver, that's my analog receiver, but the problem Im having is not with the analog receiver, that works fine, it is with how to properly setup the LNBF with the Coolsat 6000. Im just using the analog receiver as a guide to know where satellites are located, for instance If I see HSN on channel 10 I know that Sat is AMC10. I also use an Echostar SRD 5000 as my positioner, but at this moment I do not even have the LNBF running through either of them.

When I was using an old LNB with a chaparral feedhorn (but without a servo motor) I was able to blindscan at least horizontal polarity channels with the Coolsat. But now that I replaced it with the new C/Ku band LNBF Im getting very low quality, I cant even get a single channel to show up. I am making all of my tests on AMC10 @ 135 since that is the only position in which I can reach and move the LNBF AROUND to try and get signal on at least the FTA channels I know I can get like Telefutura Mountain, G4 and Bloomberg.

here are pics of my dish and LNBF

I know all of my cables are connected right, the issue is how do I configure the Coolsat to work properly with the DMS International C/Ku 2-D dedicated LNBF

I'm still thinking you don't have that new lnbf turned correctly, in the scalar. Hope you got some instructions with it that shows how, I don't have one of those yet. All mine are old-school servo-controlled feedhorns, and luckily, not on top of a building! Be careful there-looks like a long way down. Since I'm pretty well satisfied with all the tv I get on ku, I don't even bother with the c-band digital stuff much, so I've never wired one properly either. I just turn the box off, plug in the c-band cable to it, then turn it back on and pick my channel. Lazy, I know, but works for me right now.
Once you get the lnbf working on both polarities it shouldn't be too hard to wire up both receivers. I believe you'll need a couple of those power-passing splitters to get KU and C-band sides. Wish I could help you better.

When I look at my lnbf like yours, the box on the side (c-band connection) is at the 7 o'clock position, yours is at 3 o'clock position. I'm located in Mississippi, using a coolsat 5000. Initially I had to take the tan lnb cover off and replaced with clear cut-off end of a water bottle to replace. somehow cover reduced signal. Settings sat G4, lnb type single, lnb freq 5150, 22 khz off. If you have capability to move here for c- band there is a strong signal there. check out "The list" for frequencys.

Hook directly in back of coolsat while testing. then I would rotate lnbf to seven o'clock position. I use a small tv and coolsat and monitor signal strength as changes are made. Also end of Lnbf is usually closed to even or recessed a little with front of scaler ring.

When you have c-band set, I will reply on what I did as far as ku band is concerned. also I removed plate from lnbf, I don't need it.

Tried what you recommended JG but no luck, Im done with that type of LNBF, best I was able to get were some H channels but never a V one.
I'm gonna keep my old chaparral and buy a servo to move polarity via my Uniden analog receiver and that's that!

Iceberg or anyone else that has a Coolsat 6000, any of you experience low volume on the ac3 channels? like for instance the PBS NET mux @ 89 C band?

I use the sonic voom to decode AC3 and I have it at max volume (with my speakers at max vol too) but I still experience low sound, it's kind of irritating especially if you wanna record some concert like tonight's Austin City Limits performance of Them Crooked Vultures. On the other hand there are some standard audio channels @ 97 Ku Band in which the volume has to be very low or else you can become deaf, but I guess that's just because of their crappy uplinks.

Also, is there a way to select left or right audio on the CS without having to disconnect RCA cables?, there are a bunch of channels on the satmex birds in which they have some radio station sharing audio

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)