First we lost CBS...now at 5pm today we lose NBC via Raycom

As of 5:05pm my ray com station is still on dish. Not sure if a deal was done, still negotiating, or in the process of pulling the stations. They also haven't been running the crawl like they have been doing all day.

Well now you are just wrong. DISH is prohibited from carrying the channels if Raycom or whoever says they can't when there is no contract. It isn't up to DISH, DISH has one choice, to pay what is being asked. Raycom has two choices, pull the channels and tell DISH they can't carry them, or allow DISH to keep them on while they negotiate and DISH would likely pay whatever the new contract is for that time. That's facts.
You are missing my point as a customer of Dish. My guide says the channel has been removed. My contract is with Dish. I pay for service from Dish and NOT Raycom. Dish sold me services stating I would get my local channels. That is now factually incorrect. There was no stipulation that said "As long as we reach a contractual agreement with your local stations".

Reactions: jamesjimcie
You are missing my point as a customer of Dish. My guide says the channel has been removed. My contract is with Dish. I pay for service from Dish and NOT Raycom. Dish sold me services stating I would get my local channels. That is now factually incorrect. There was no stipulation that said "As long as we reach a contractual agreement with your local stations".

That is exactly what the contact you signed says. They do not nor does any provider guarantee what channels you will get. Your position is not realistic, no one is going to pay whatever is asked because they must carry the channel(s).

As of 5:05pm my ray com station is still on dish. Not sure if a deal was done, still negotiating, or in the process of pulling the stations. They also haven't been running the crawl like they have been doing all day.

At least that's a good sign!

Reactions: dennispap
I don't understand how this is acceptable to anyone. I've now been with Dish for about 16 months after leaving Directv for 21 years. I don't recall this happening at DTV but it could have. Apparently there is no end in sight to the Tribune dispute which means no football games etc here shortly. Now to make things worse, the day before the Olympics starts, Dish and Raycom are in a pissing battle. They happen to own the local NBC affiliate. Supposedly the deadline is 5pm tonight. I've read in 2013 their blackout lasted 9 days.

What's the point in paying for channels I don't want if I can't get the channels I actually want?

So as is often the case no blackout.

Reactions: Albiondon
Tweet;

"Dish Customers. We hv come 2 an agreement with Dish. We appreciate ur patience & are happy 2 continue serving u on the Dish system. Thank u."

Tweet;

(see above)

Be nice if they'd use proper english. That said, my feeling is Raycom was feeling some pressure in that The Games start Friday on their NBC stations - they have about as many as Tribune has of FOX - and those peacocks are a pretty big deal right now. They've seen what Tribune is going through since they pulled themselves off dish, and I'm certain Raycom doesn't want that kind of impasse.

Good sense seems to have prevailed here, and by all appearances both sides in this case are making nice. That's a very good thing.

BTW: It still doesn't hurt to put up an antenna if you can so you can have future backup.

Be nice if they'd use proper english. That said, my feeling is Raycom was feeling some pressure in that The Games start Friday on their NBC stations - they have about as many as Tribune has of FOX - and those peacocks are a pretty big deal right now. They've seen what Tribune is going through since they pulled themselves off dish, and I'm certain Raycom doesn't want that kind of impasse.

Good sense seems to have prevailed here, and by all appearances both sides in this case are making nice. That's a very good thing.

BTW: It still doesn't hurt to put up an antenna if you can so you can have future backup.

Honestly Tribune aside because that is not strictly a locals dispute, most never make it to a blackout or it last a very few days.

I think expressing your concerns to the station groups is a good idea but I think many subs are reaching a breaking point because they lose network stations so often with DISH and do not see that with other providers. Whether you think DISH is at fault or not they may simply move on and/or take their dissatisfaction out on DISH.
I think the entire concept of the local network affiliate is a relic from a bygone era. I cannot believe we are still as a tv viewing population hung up on the freakin six o clock news.....Who cares.....Anyone, even the elderly and very young can get all the news they want on their computer or phone.
Now...for those of 5% of the population that reside in rural areas with limited internet access, that is a choice THEY make.
The local affiliate thing is a crumpled up yellowed out piece opf paper from the 1940's.....As is the so called Designated Market Area. Its a load of crap. There are folks who based on their zip code and completely ignoring proximity to the origination of the TV signals that are stuck watching local programming and news which may as well be from China

Let's play a role playing game. Dish is the only provider out there. No online streaming, and no other option available. Your contract ends, and they say you must pay $60 per channel available. Do you just stop watching tv or do you pay their fees... Let's see which provider is best fit for you.

Our agreement also states that services may be added or removed without prior notice.

THat ws quick.
Perhaps Raycom does not have that kind of clout
More likely, they were never that far apart to begin with and the blackout posturing was only to see if they could squeeze a little more out of the Dish. Both sides make a token gesture in the eleventh hour and the deal gets signed.

I think the entire concept of the local network affiliate is a relic from a bygone era. I cannot believe we are still as a tv viewing population hung up on the freakin six o clock news.....Who cares.....Anyone, even the elderly and very young can get all the news they want on their computer or phone.
Now...for those of 5% of the population that reside in rural areas with limited internet access, that is a choice THEY make.
The local affiliate thing is a crumpled up yellowed out piece opf paper from the 1940's.....As is the so called Designated Market Area. Its a load of crap. There are folks who based on their zip code and completely ignoring proximity to the origination of the TV signals that are stuck watching local programming and news which may as well be from China
Very true. My extended community is the Philadelphia region but my DMA, based ridiculously on zip codes, is designated as SWB so instead of getting the Phila locals I'm forced to accept the SWB locals. Local advertising means nothing to me. I'm 75 years old and have shopped in and around Phila many, many, many times but have never, not even one single day, shopped in the SWB market area. It's a joke.

Reactions: Tampa8 and dare2be
More likely, they were never that far apart to begin with and the blackout posturing was only to see if they could squeeze a little more out of the Dish. Both sides make a token gesture in the eleventh hour and the deal gets signed.

As good a guess as any. Could be DISH settled with both Raycom and Sunbeam before a blackout for a little more than they wanted to make the bigger point against Tribune and to avoid having all three off at the same time. Could be those two companies know DISH will stay in a protracted dispute if needed so they cut losses.
But mostly that's how so many of these so called disputes go, huffing and puffing but a last minute deal or a quick deal after a short blackout.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)