Fix the 4DTV Ratings Issue and Restore Firmware Back to A4!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I also highly recommend the extra 18" ribbon from mouser as that can be left in the receiver.

Could you post the part number here? I wonder if the local radio shack stocks it.

Could you post the part number here? I wonder if the local radio shack stocks it.

I had posted a link on page 12 of the instructions right under the one photo of the extension ribbon cable.

1M-1010-010-3365-018.0-00-AB-00-0 3M Electronic Solutions Division | Mouser

Mouser Part #: 517-1M-1010-010-18
Manufacturer Part #: 1M-1010-010-3365-018.0-00-AB-00-0
Manufacturer: 3M Electronic Solutions Division 3M Electronic Solutions Division
Description: Cables (Cable Assemblies) 10P 18" SKT - SKT 28AWG STRANDED PVC

After doing a bunch of things bad, I lost my UID/RID on my 922. I will not detail my errant ways, but here is a link you might want to read. I now have a dish mover with a bad UID/RID. I also did it the right way on another 922, so I am batting .500! Look here: Bricked 922, now what? - USB JTAG

I just did this. I didn't have to restore my nvram. I assume that this process is used to upload the text file for the new maps, also?

Also, doubleclicking on the A4 file did nothing to start the write. I had to click on the write icon to write the data.

Last edited:
I had posted a link on page 12 of the instructions right under the one photo of the extension ribbon cable.

1M-1010-010-3365-018.0-00-AB-00-0 3M Electronic Solutions Division | Mouser

Mouser Part #: 517-1M-1010-010-18
Manufacturer Part #: 1M-1010-010-3365-018.0-00-AB-00-0
Manufacturer: 3M Electronic Solutions Division 3M Electronic Solutions Division
Description: Cables (Cable Assemblies) 10P 18" SKT - SKT 28AWG STRANDED PVC

Thanks. I probably won't buy one right now since I can't justify paying $15 to ship a $5 item. I'll see if I can find one locally. If not, I'll see if I can build a more substantial parts order and then order it. I hope that I won't be removing the cover that often anyway.......

I just made a big order from them and I saw that priority mail was like just under 7 dollars. That would be a good time to find a battery and a few other parts if needed. They seem to have most everything.

I sucessfully upgraded (actually downgraded) my 922's firmware to A4 last night. :cheer2:

The only unexpected side affect was that my clock is now off by 5 hours (the minutes are still right). If I've got it figured correctly, that's about right considering that I'm in the Central time zone and daylight savings time is in force. So my guess is that the unit lost it's "location" setting in the process.

My clock has been accurate for at least a year before this. Of course, this is no biggie because I'm gonna sub to the MTV pack from SRL when I get home today, which will set the clock back to the correct time.

I was just wondering if anyone else who did the downgrade noticed the same thing.

Cheers

Anony55,

The 922 EC firmware uses an updated time structure in the nvram from what was used in the A4 firmware. When you went back to the A4 firmware an A4 version of the time structure was created on first bootup. It is zero and so you are on UTC time and have no timezone information. This can be fixed by taking a hit while on X4/W5 and reading some data. It will work itself out, but is a pain. The MM project is working on this bug as well as a couple others, so maybe sometime in the furure this can be easily corrected.

I am new to this page and have been using a 3 meter dish for 24 years. It is now connected to two Pamsat DVB receviers (one for C band and one for Ku band) and a updated 4DTV too. People think C band is dead because all the BIG programers tried to kill it. My programing is now on only on one satellite but it is still better that DISH!!! I watch for 14 channals and they are the ones I pay for with out all that other JUNK.

...It is zero and so you are on UTC time and have no timezone information...

Thanks azcoder, that's kinda what I was guessing. Since I'm on Central time which is minus 6, and add one back in for being on daylight savings time... there's the 5 hour difference.

I guess if a guy was only interested in fixing his clock and not really interested in the programming, he could sub to a single channel for $5.99. Since there's not a lot of interesting stuff on the A La Carte channels, I opted for the MTV pack. Even that only has one channel in it that I'll watch (VH1 Classics). But for 9 bucks, I got the clock fixed & a month of access to Metal Mania. :)

Cheers

EDIT; Oh yeah, and now the guide works too. (Pretty cool).

Oh yeah, and now the guide works too. (Pretty cool).

So you like that guide eh ?

Remember when you press guide and it shows channel 1-2 on any satellite that is Horizontal polarity and that is done so if you slave a dvb receiver you can readily tell which polarity you are on for the master dish mover.
The other analog channels 3 thru 24 that show any guide info is for any analog channel that was known in the past 12-15 months.

Now you can move your dish to any satellite by pressing the guide button,
including, ku satellites ! :D

So you like that guide eh ?

Yeah, that's a nice feature. It's the only way I know of to go to a channel on another satellite other than the last one you were on (on that sat). Otherwise, you have to wait for the dish to move there and then change the channel.

I still had the guide working for several months after the shutdown. But once I lost power, I lost the channel names and the ability to use the guide. On the old system, you could still use the empty guide that way. You just had to press "go back" to display the empty guide.

Now, it's fully functional again. :)

Cheers

My first post here, on your fine site. So here goes:

Recently, I've moved to a new location. Back in the early 90's, I was a C Band user, but had to move to a new city and could not put up a BUD. In the late 1990's I purchased a Starchoice 921 and never used it on a bud. I did however, use it for Starchoice, on an oval Ku band dish. Again, I had to move and decided to put it away in 2001. Now I am in a position to put up another BUD and came across a used 6' dish to play with. My Starchoice 921, will have a slave unit in a Viewsat 9000. My big question is this: Which satellite do I go to, for a current channel mapping? I see that the 920 and 922's are going to a couple of different locations. Should I send the 921 there, or is there mapping on one of the Anik birds?

OK, tested the IRD(921) and found that the IRD number is intact, so I can now go about the task of changing the battery. I assume that you get the rack out of the way, so you can reach it, then you plug the machine in, while you do the replacement. Checked some prices for the replacements, in Canada, and found that they're all over $20.00. I see that Radio Shack has the 3.6v lithium batteries, for around $10.00, stateside. I have to go on Friday anyway, so I'll pick one up then.

When I looked in the channel map, from 2001, the last time I activated it, it showed 31 satellites in the buffer, 7 that were programed in. I intend to sub it for a couple of hours, from Shaw Direct, since I have a subscription there already, and that should reset the clock. I don't intend to do a master reset. I should be able to use all of these spare satellite tiles, to program the current satellites, in the sky. If this all works out good, I plan on adding my Viewsat 9000, using the 921 as the slave unit.

Any other tips out there?

PrinceLH said:
OK, tested the IRD(921) and found that the IRD number is intact, so I can now go about the task of changing the battery. I assume that you get the rack out of the way, so you can reach it, then you plug the machine in, while you do the replacement. Checked some prices for the replacements, in Canada, and found that they're all over $20.00. I see that Radio Shack has the 3.6v lithium batteries, for around $10.00, stateside. I have to go on Friday anyway, so I'll pick one up then.

When I looked in the channel map, from 2001, the last time I activated it, it showed 31 satellites in the buffer, 7 that were programed in. I intend to sub it for a couple of hours, from Shaw Direct, since I have a subscription there already, and that should reset the clock. I don't intend to do a master reset. I should be able to use all of these spare satellite tiles, to program the current satellites, in the sky. If this all works out good, I plan on adding my Viewsat 9000, using the 921 as the slave unit.

Any other tips out there?

Welcome!

The preferred method for battery swap is to solder the new battery in and cut the old battery(quickly).

I had pondered about doing it with the unit powered but settled for attach then snip - worked just fine.

Still looking for the battery. Spent some time stateside, but couldn't locate one, last weekend. I then went on a quest today, looking for one, in Canada. What a nightmare! They are either on backorder, or they can't get them shipped from outside the country. The Chinese are willing to send me some of their stock, but prefer to buy North American. Clones are not a good way to go.

Anyway, as I wait for the opportunity to grab a new battery, I started working on a number of my Ku Band dishes, for doing a 4 position Disq switch setup, for my Viewsat 9000. I have a couple 39" dishes and some 30's. I think that I'll pick out 4 good Ku positions and wire it up, maybe tomorrow. When I get the 921 up and running, I'll hook up the C Band and go from there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)