Fixed C-Band dish....what satellite is it normally aimed at?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Right now mine is not aimed at anything and I have to fix it : (

Last night we had some pretty sustained winds of 30+ mph and all of a sudden I heard a THUD. Yep, dish fell off the 30” table it sits on. Even with the 70 pound sandbag on it the winds were too much. Fell forward onto the deck on its side. Dented one piece of the dish. Punched it and that popped back into place. I haven’t hooked it back up but the arms and the dish look like it’s in good shape. The edge on that side was all bent but I don’t think that affects anything. So right now its sitting on the deck aimed at the house to protect from the winds.

Last night when I was out running a cable I though “maybe I should bolt the front of the “O” ring down but haven’t done that yet

Guess I’ll do that tonight.

Oh, my! Just read this post, very sorry to hear this! Best of luck!

I think the dish should be fine (hope so). At least it fell 30” onto the deck instead of back over the deck 10-11 feet. Unfortunately where the dish gets placed, I have to jack it up or I don’t get a signal even on my true south. Elevation here in MN for true south is 38 degrees. I normally have the sandbag on the back because the dish gets top heavy and that holds it but I also bolted the front of the frame down in case a strong south wind grabs it.

Have to get it done tonight as we are suppose to get a lot of snow tomorrow nite through Sunday

Last edited:
well got it set up. The one piece (the SW piece if standing facing the dish) is pretty crumpled on the side but other than pushing it back in place, it seems to work

signal is a little lower (61 versus 73) but stable on the nets. Bolted it down with 2 og the holders and the sandbag :)

it would be just one panel (the 6 foot dish is solid) and most of what is crumpled is the side (not the reflector part). I was able to knock the bumps back to normal (it had flexed). It seems to work fine now. Back on the nets :)

Right now mine is not aimed at anything and I have to fix it : (

Last night we had some pretty sustained winds of 30+ mph and all of a sudden I heard a THUD. Yep, dish fell off the 30” table it sits on. Even with the 70 pound sandbag on it the winds were too much. Fell forward onto the deck on its side. Dented one piece of the dish. Punched it and that popped back into place. I haven’t hooked it back up but the arms and the dish look like it’s in good shape. The edge on that side was all bent but I don’t think that affects anything. So right now its sitting on the deck aimed at the house to protect from the winds.

Last night when I was out running a cable I though “maybe I should bolt the front of the “O” ring down but haven’t done that yet

Guess I’ll do that tonight.

This was the Toroidal or the C Band?

70lb Sand Bag is nothing for a 1.8 Meter....I use three times that for my Toroidal.

Last edited:
The C-Band

My T90 only has one sandbag on the back and that was due to the way I mounted the back bracket. Thats to keep the bracket from coming loose. The main mast is bolted down and isnt moving :)

The 6 foot dish I have used a sandbag on it since I got the dish and havent had any issues. I put the little brackets on last night (one on front one on back).

The C-Band

My T90 only has one sandbag on the back and that was due to the way I mounted the back bracket. Thats to keep the bracket from coming loose. The main mast is bolted down and isnt moving :)

The 6 foot dish I have used a sandbag on it since I got the dish and havent had any issues. I put the little brackets on last night (one on front one on back).

We still want pictures.....

But regardless, I have 200lbs on Toroidals - and over 600 lbs on a 6 footer and honestly that isnt close to enough - a good stiff wind would have no issue moving the 6 Footer. Even mesh doesnt matter because at 60MPH Winds it has the same characteristics as a solid dish.

We still want pictures.....
I'll hopefully get some taken before the snow comes tonight :)

But regardless, I have 200lbs on Toroidals - and over 600 lbs on a 6 footer and honestly that isnt close to enough - a good stiff wind would have no issue moving the 6 Footer. Even mesh doesnt matter because at 60MPH Winds it has the same characteristics as a solid dish.
Maybe it has to do with location? Mine is on my north facing deck so unless we have really strong NW winds (as we did the other day) there isn’t an issue. It was on the deck for 8 months then moved to the south side to be hauled outside the garage for a satellite I couldn’t see on the deck. Now its back on the deck :D

The sand was originally used because at 38 degrees the dish was top heavy. So the sand stopped it from tipping. I did have the clip bolted down on the front noramlly (which has since been put back on)

I’ll see if I can get some pictures snapped tonite before the sun goes down and the snow comes

This was engineered for 150MPH winds and you can see what happened 2 weeks ago - including the line of travel between the 2 yellow lines.

Here are some pictures :)

1st is the C-Band. The table is 30" high so it can clear the roof line
2nd is the 36" aimed at G10 (2nd LNB for 119)
3rd is the T90 (thats on a 30" table too)
4th is all the LNB's (72,74,79,83,85,87,91,93,97,101,103,107.3,110)
5th is the sandbag and plastic covering the 4x4 switches from snow :)
6th is sandbag on the C-Band dish. Its held all the time except for Wednesday
7th is the dent in the side of the dish. The panel was bulged out but that was pounded back in
8th is all 3
9th is the motorized (on G10 at that picture) :)

Attachments

• 000_0076.jpg
    000_0076.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 1,001
  • 000_0077.jpg
    000_0077.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 000_0078.jpg
    000_0078.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 724
  • 000_0079.jpg
    000_0079.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 161
  • 000_0080.jpg
    000_0080.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 148
  • 000_0081.jpg
    000_0081.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 000_0082.jpg
    000_0082.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 167
  • 000_0083.jpg
    000_0083.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 148
  • 000_0084.jpg
    000_0084.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 147
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)