Fixed Dish for Equity on 123 Dilemma

Status
Please reply by conversation.

i4tas

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Northern USA
I want to purchase a fixed dish for the equity channels. It also needs to be as small as possible.

The largest I will go is 30 inches, smaller would be better.

My main problem is that the front door of my house points directly at 123W so if I place a dish on the side of my house the dish has to point directly at the front yard (the dish is perpendicular to the siding). Dishes don't work in the back yard and I don't want it in the front.

My 1 M dish could be mounted on the side of the house but it can only see to about 111 degrees before the house is in the way of moving it any further west. So I figure a smaller dish (lighter) could be mounted further out and the swivel the hole 180 degrees without hitting the house.

I hope I explained that well enough. I am starting to think it would be easier to put the dish way back there in the back yard so I could see over the house, but then I would have to run a wire.

Anyone have a LNB that is mounted like that winegard, of course it would be linear? Do those type of lnb's even work? How is the polarity adjusted? I am only asking, because those dishes look much better and the arm is much sturdier. That particular winegurd looks like a 18" but it is accutally a 30" designed for linear reception or so they say.

Attachments

• Wingard_Dish.jpg
    Wingard_Dish.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 166
Keep in mind that there's talk about Equity channels going DVB-S2 in the future and mention that smaller dishes (like my 31") may not be able to pick them up....

Find a used Superdish or Slimline D* dish. I think the Superdish would be better because I think it has a bandstacked linear LNB on it already. I tried a D* slimline on 123 with a jury-rigged LNB and it didn't work too well, but I think it was because I didn't have the LNB mounted correctly. I have heard from other folks that use or have used a Superdish with no problems, although I don't think it would be very good rain-fade wise.

And like Concord said you need a temporary solution anyway because those are going S2 and we will need bigger dishes probably...:)

I have a superdish collecting dust... it is a very wide dish with a very heavy LNB setup.

Does S2 really take more signal... I will wait and see. I kind of have a feeling equity will venture more towards the c-band side for S2, S2 on the Ku side might give them too many problems.

DVB-S2 Mpeg 4 will require a larger reflector, it's just the nature of the beast. The C band channels on G-3 will be next to go S2 then G-10 ku. Maybe by that time a few good low cost receivers will be made for that mode. We may need 1.2cm dishes for G-10 who knows.

I'm pretty sure Equity will wait until Galaxy 10R is replaced with a new satellite before switching to DVB-S2 on that satellite. Echostar's VIP-TV service on AMC 16 ku is DVB-S2 and I can lock the signals fine with a 3 foot dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)