Fixing to buy a new amp

To bad I don't live closer. I could have a much better system, just picking up his castoffs. :)

Wouldn't mind grabbing that Denon, but the shipping would be a killer.

Reactions: teachsac
Here is another new issue:

I swapped over to a Marantz AV7702, Klipsch RF7II fronts and the 7500 at the same time. XT32 is setting my center bottomed out at -12, and the fronts at -9db. Before, with my XPA-3 and smaller towers (one step down from RF7's) my fronts were -4 and the center was -9. At the advice I checked the SPL of all 3, and luckily they are withing 0.5db, so I dodged a bullet. Little worried about the larger and more efficient center I am fixing to get.

I am currently using RCA's, would the difference in gain on the XLR (34db vs 28db) have any affect here? Or is my only option an attenuator on the RCA's? I guess this is just the product of a highly efficient speaker and a powerful amp. I'll also admit I do not understand a lot about that difference in gain.

After some reading, it seems this is more common than you think with Klipsch and a strong amp. Concern is the RC64ii would be even worse and a -12 would not be enough.

Do you know what the gain difference of +6db between RCA and XLR would do if anything? Or should I just get the 6db attenuators. I freaking hate adding something inline, but it would bring both the fronts and center closer to 0.0 db trim level.

The XLR's from BJC are $28, and the attenuates are $25 each, so either solution is about the same, just not sure if the XLR would work. I don't really understand how the RCA gain of 28db and the XLR gain of 34db translate into this situation.

Trying to understand something here. I thought that Audyssey worked on an overall balance basis. I wouldn't think that everything would be running max attenuation because Audyssey would simply lower master volume.

You still are running 3.2 system, right? So which speakers would have a positive gain? Can you simply turn down master volume and rerun?

From my understanding it sends out the 75db test tone at 0.0 volume, or reference, and then reads what the speaker actually puts out. I am guessing my fronts put out around 85db's and the center was 87 or 88db's. Not sure if I can do anything internally, Audyssey's advice was attenuators.

And yea, I am running 3.2. When I set my subs to the 74-76db in the Marantz menu, it drops them back -9. This is fine because I run them about 5db hot or so, so they end up at -4db.

I don't think the master volume setting has anything to do with running the Audyssey calibration. I know the manual on my 2113ci didn't mention any setting of it. And neither does the manual on my Harman Kardon 3600 using the EZsetEQ HK has.

Yeah, I do not think that is my option here. It's attenuate or try XLR's. I sent an email to outlaw tech support too asking them about attenuation and the gain difference for RCA vs XLR on this model amp.

It isnt huge right now, because the current levels are fine, but I need to figure it out before I spend $900 on a new center...

OK, seems XLR gain of 34 would make things "worse". I am going to order the 6db attenuator from Harrison for the center channel RCA.

I just realized I overlooked a simple solution to the whole deal. And it was in my correspondence with Audyssey staff on the -12 level setting.

1) Run Audyssey
2) Go into speaker menu and manual, and then levels
3) Set AVR volume to 0.0 for reference, which should yield 75dB on a SPL meter
4) Find the loudest speaker (say my center is 81db)
5) Adjust all others to 81db
6) Tinker with master volume and test tone to figure what volume is now 75db (should be -6.0 instead of 0.0)
7) Adjust sub channel up 6db
8) Done... Just remember -6 is reference level, not 0.0

:coco

Just watched The Babadook, lot of door closing and slams, and the 7ii's crossed at 60hz have some authority. Horns are throaty too, the 62ii center with the smaller horn can't hang with em.

Emotiva CMX-2

It worked!

Hum
https://www.dropbox.com/s/shevqhnhz049zom/Hum.m4a?dl=0

No Hum
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bgvzb0v69uig4pg/No Hum.m4a?dl=0

IMG_0961_zpslpql9h7y.jpg

I just found out, and was totally unaware, Dolby recommends selecting the Atmos track if you gear can do it regardless of your speaker setup. In other words you do not have to have an Atmos speaker layout to enjoy the benefit of the mixing tools.

Thats pretty cool.

I am in the middle of a 49 minute FW update, and then will try airplay.

Well, got the XLR cables in and ran XT32 again. Center was still -12, fronts not became -11 and -11.5 (XLR connection made things 2db hotter).

So after everything was said and done, I level matched.

LF was -11 (made it -9)
C was -12 (77db at that setting)
RF was -11.5 (made it -9.5)

All were then 75db as they should be, with -2.0db volume setting. So, i boosted my subs from -6 to -4, and I noted my new "reference" volume as -2.0 and not 0.0.

Also got this up

IMG_0968_zpsu4juzles.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts