Status
Not open for further replies.

120inna55

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Athens, Texas, United States
I'm in the market for a flatbed scanner. I'll be using it to scan documents, DVD covers (for my DVD Profiler, to upload when I'm the first to contribute to the database), etc.

My requirements would be that its USB. Otherwise I haven't a clue as to what to look for. I'm not looking to break the bank as it will only be casually used--no marathon scanning as with a home business. I've seen sub-$100 models @ Office Depot and Wal-Mart and often wonder if these are junk or if the prices have simply gotten that much more reasonable since I last looked.

What selling points should I look for?

Or do any of you have a specific model in mind?

I have an HP all in one scanner, memory card reader, printer/copier plus it supports digital cameras via a USB port. The model is HP PSC 2355 and I payed $179 at Best Buy and there is a $50 rebate on it right now. It prints fabulous photos and comes with a ton of software and it connects via USB.

This model is limited to 8.5" by 11" document scanning so if you need something bigger, this is not for you.

I have a HP scanjet 3970 - I paid around $ 50.- for it.
On your place, I'll get the cheapest flatbed you can get. After you installed it - do a test with 150, 300 and 600 dpi (dots per inch) and see in which resolution it looks best - with the least amount of artifacts. Keep in mind, when you scan a magazine cover with 600 dpi- the filesize will be around 25 MB - so you have to downsize a lot anyway. Scanning is my hobby, so if you have any question - feel free to pm me .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts