Flimflam outfit

Why doesn't everyone just jump up and defend your baby(DISH)? Just answer the guy's question/query. You shouldn't lambaste the guy, are you his dad(s)? I'm sure that all of you guys read EVERY word of your mortgage closing documents, right? Get off of your high horses people, especially you DishSubLa, your post was rude.

mewalden, you shouldn't call Dish names like that, especially since you failed to do your due diligence.

Nick
Now there's the response of the decade. The respondants are merely stating facts and suggestions.
How is it that suggesting the OP read before signing and doing research before buying is "lambasting" the OP?....
He id get the answers he was looking for.
I do not see defense of Dish network in any of the Dish Network company at all.
Do you not agree that we as consumers should practice personal responsibility? BTW if you're going to reply with anything remotely suggesting the OP was duped or deceived, stow it. Because it won't wash

In the documents I signed, there was no reference to hooking to a telephone line. I have no direct or indirect reference to the following clause, which comes from some T&Cs which I never received. The only thing in any documents I signed is an undefined term "equipment", and disconnecting it, which normally one would consider as meaning the cable part, or terminating a programming package I subscribed to as part of a promotion. Please tell me where you got this, where what you signed points to it. I only agreed to:
DHA-18 Month Commitment Agreement
Promo code RETDHA18

Additional Tuners and Receivers. We may allow you to place additional receivers on your account in our sole discretion. Each additional receiver will be authorized to receive the same Services as your initial receiver. This option is only available if your initial DISH Network receiver and all additional receiver(s) are located at the same residence and are continuously connected to your same land-based telephone line. Unless otherwise specified in the customer agreement(s), if any, applicable to the promotion(s) pursuant to which you are receiving Services and/or Equipment, DISH Network will charge you a monthly additional outlet programming access fee (“Additional Outlet Programming Access Fee”) for each tuner activated on your account beyond the first. If you desire to receive Services at two different residential locations, you must open a separate account for each location. You agree that you will not directly or indirectly use a single account for the purpose of authorizing Services for multiple DISH Network receivers that are not all located in the same residence and connected to your same land-based telephone line. If we later determine that you did, we may disconnect your Services and, in addition to all other applicable fees, you agree to pay us the difference between the amounts actually received by us and the full retail price for the Services authorized for each DISH Network receiver on your account.

LOGICALLY, THIS DOES NOT SAY I MUST HAVE MY SINGLE, NON-ADDITIONAL RECEIVER CONTINUOUSLY HOOKED TO A PHONE LINE.

Now, my reason for my concern is not theft of service. I am concerned for the following two reasons:

1) On principle, I don't like the possibility that DISH can monitor and strore my viewing or channel-surfing record. It smacks too much of Big Brother and Homeland Security. I could get into the philosophical details; it is enough to peruse the controversies in the news this last few years to get my drift.

2) Perhaps more practically, DISH locked up my phone line about a month ago, for about fourteen hours. I didn't discover it till I tried to call someone, and then after I defeated the lockup by disconnecting the phone from DISH, I discovered that I had missed important family calls the night before- the phone was busy all night. The CS people claimed that this wasn't supposed to happen, that this was a malfunction of the receiver, and sent me a new receiver. So, am I supposed to just trust DISH and leave it plugged in now? Or, check for a dial tone every, say, 15 minutes?

In the documents I signed, there was no reference to hooking to a telephone line. I have no direct or indirect reference to the following clause, which comes from some T&Cs which I never received. The only thing in any documents I signed is an undefined term "equipment", and disconnecting it, which normally one would consider as meaning the cable part, or terminating a programming package I subscribed to as part of a promotion. Please tell me where you got this, where what you signed points to it. I only agreed to:
Promo code RETDHA18

Additional Tuners and Receivers. We may allow you to place additional receivers on your account in our sole discretion. Each additional receiver will be authorized to receive the same Services as your initial receiver. This option is only available if your initial DISH Network receiver and all additional receiver(s) are located at the same residence and are continuously connected to your same land-based telephone line. Unless otherwise specified in the customer agreement(s), if any, applicable to the promotion(s) pursuant to which you are receiving Services and/or Equipment, DISH Network will charge you a monthly additional outlet programming access fee (“Additional Outlet Programming Access Fee”) for each tuner activated on your account beyond the first. If you desire to receive Services at two different residential locations, you must open a separate account for each location. You agree that you will not directly or indirectly use a single account for the purpose of authorizing Services for multiple DISH Network receivers that are not all located in the same residence and connected to your same land-based telephone line. If we later determine that you did, we may disconnect your Services and, in addition to all other applicable fees, you agree to pay us the difference between the amounts actually received by us and the full retail price for the Services authorized for each DISH Network receiver on your account.

LOGICALLY, THIS DOES NOT SAY I MUST HAVE MY SINGLE, NON-ADDITIONAL RECEIVER CONTINUOUSLY HOOKED TO A PHONE LINE.

Now, my reason for my concern is not theft of service. I am concerned for the following two reasons:

1) On principle, I don't like the possibility that DISH can monitor and strore my viewing or channel-surfing record. It smacks too much of Big Brother and Homeland Security. I could get into the philosophical details; it is enough to peruse the controversies in the news this last few years to get my drift.

2) Perhaps more practically, DISH locked up my phone line about a month ago, for about fourteen hours. I didn't discover it till I tried to call someone, and then after I defeated the lockup by disconnecting the phone from DISH, I discovered that I had missed important family calls the night before- the phone was busy all night. The CS people claimed that this wasn't supposed to happen, that this was a malfunction of the receiver, and sent me a new receiver. So, am I supposed to just trust DISH and leave it plugged in now? Or, check for a dial tone every, say, 15 minutes?
This is illogical.. There is no madatory requirement to connect a land based phone line to a Dish Network rceiver. If there was, all custoimers who eschew land lines for Cell phones would technically be in violation of their agreement.
As a tech who installs these things for a living, I see at least 50% of the equipment not connected to a phone line. ....
Dish does not pay us to install phone lines and if the customer elects not to pay for said installation or declines the purchase of a wirelss phone jack the recivers are activated with a "phone bypass". This appplies to dual tuner receivers only. I can see the verbage on the contract can be easily taken out of context as it seems to imply a land based phone connection is required .It is not.

Promo code RETDHA18

Perhaps, you should get out that 18-month commitment agreement and read it again. I do not have the 18 month commitment right in front of me as dish does 24 month agreements now, but I do remember that this section was in there with only minor differences (mostly relating to the Ethernet connection on ViP series receivers). I have underlined the applicable locations. This section is on Page 2 or the back side of the agreement.

Monthly Fees and Payments. You agree to make a monthly payment by the payment due date for the programming you select and for the following fees as applicable depending on the equipment you select: Equipment Rental Fee:An equipment rental fee of $7 per month (in the case of a model 411, ViP211, ViP222, AT&T Homezone 622HZ DVR, ViP612 DVR, or ViP722 DVR receiver) or $5 per month (in all other cases) for the first receiver activated is included in the promotional base programming package price. An additional equipment rental fee of $7 per month (in the case of a model 411, ViP211, ViP222, AT&T Homezone 622HZ DVR, ViP612 DVR, or ViP722 DVR receiver) or $5 per month (in all other cases) will be charged to your account for each receiver activated beyond the first (for the purpose of determining the amount of this fee, model 411, ViP211, ViP222, AT&T Homezone 622HZ DVR, ViP612 DVR, and ViP722 DVR receivers shall be deemed to be activated prior to all other receivers); DISH Network DVR Service Fee:A $5.98 per month DISH Network DVR service fee will be charged to your account for each model 510, 522, 625, ViP612 DVR, ViP622 DVR, ViP722 DVR, or AT&T Homezone 622HZ DVR receiver activated. This fee will not apply with respect to one such receiver if you subscribe to DishDVR Advantage and will be waived if you subscribe to America’s “Everything” Pak; Additional Outlet Programming Access Fee:A $5 per month additional outlet programming access fee will be charged to your account for each dual tuner receiver (model 322, 522, 625, ViP222, ViP622 DVR, ViP722 DVR, and AT&T Homezone 622HZ DVR receivers) activated. This fee will be waived on a monthly basis for each such receiver that DISH Network confirms has been continuously connected to your same land-based phone line and/or (solely in the case of a model ViP622 DVR, ViP722 DVR or AT&T Homezone 622 HZ DVR) continuously connected to your same broadband home network resulting in the functionality of the applicable receiver’s Internet-based features. DISH Network’s confirmation process(es) shall be the sole method(s) utilized to determine if your additional outlet programming access fee(s) will be waived; HD Enabling Fee: A $7 per month HD enabling fee will be charged to your account if any model 411, ViP211, ViP222, ViP612 DVR, ViP622 DVR or ViP722 DVR receiver is activated. This fee will also be charged to your account if any AT&T Homezone 622HZ DVR is activated, enabled with the capacity to receive high definition programming (including without limitation via an off-air antenna) and is the only high definition receiver activated on your account. This fee will be waived on a monthly basis if you subscribe to TurboHD Bronze, TurboHD Silver, TurboHD Gold, BronzeHD, SilverHD, GoldHD, DishLATINO Max HD Essential, DishLATINO Max HD Ultimate, or DishHD Package (only available for residents of Alaska and Hawaii); Hawaii Upgrade Fee:A non-refundable $4.99 per month Hawaii Upgrade fee will be charged to your account if you receive DISH Network service in Hawaii. Lease upgrade fee(s) (if and as applicable) of: i) $50 for the first model ViP722 DVR, ViP622 DVR or AT&T Homezone 622HZ DVR receiver; and ii) the following amounts for the second DVR receiver: $99 for a model ViP612 DVR, 625 or 522 receiver; $149 for a model ViP622 DVR or AT&T Homezone 622HZ receiver; and $199 for a model ViP722 DVR receiver are not deposits and are non-refundable. The $99 activation fee (if applicable) is non-refundable. State and local taxes, or reimbursement charges for gross earnings taxes imposed on satellite providers for transmission of programming in some states, may apply. Other fees may apply as set forth in the Residential Customer Agreement. Different or other payment options may be applicable where billing is provided through a billing agent. All receivers selected by you within the first 30 days of initial activation of your DISH Network account shall be treated as selected by you under this Agreement for all purposes, including, without limitation, with respect to ownership and unreturned equipment fees.

Ummm, as far as storing and linking your veiwing habits to you, there are very specific laws against that in the US. As far as gathering agregate anonymous data about your veiwing habits, why do you think they give you $5 off, because they can sell that data, and make the money back.

This was a fluke (and judging from your other posts, possibly a tall tale to try to gain simpathy for yourself after digging the hole and jumping in). I have been doing installs and repairs for dish network for over two years and have never seen this failure in a receiver. But the choice is yours. As I have already pointed out you agreed to the fee if it wasn't connected. So either connect it and save $5 or don't connect it, and don't. I fail to see why you and so many other people complain about dish offering to give you $5 off for simply connecting a phone line. It's really simple, if you had two receivers (or direcTV) instead of a Dish dual tuner, you would be paying that $5 phone line or no phone line. If you had comcast and wanted an extra box it would be more!! It's really simple If you want $5 off what your bill would elsewhere connect it.

I am a tech that has been with dish for a long time. It's kinda funny that I have seen instances where they have waived the phone line fee for certain customers. The reps on the phone will tell you they cannot do it, but I have seen it. Your best bet is to connect a phone line to the nearest jack or get one of these wireless phone jacks. If you have only a cell phone, you are out of luck. There's no arguing unless you did not sign your 18 or 24 month agreement.

...LOGICALLY, THIS DOES NOT SAY I MUST HAVE MY SINGLE, NON-ADDITIONAL RECEIVER CONTINUOUSLY HOOKED TO A PHONE LINE.

Nobody is REQUIRED to connect to a phone line, BUT, they will get a fee if they don't.

You watch too many movies. Todays gov't is so hosed up by feuding politics and incompetent agency secretaries that any data the gov't might be collecting is totally useless and would take 40 years to get any action taken on any info of value to any agenda. Besides, much more info is being collected by your credit card and internet activities than your tv watching.

It's called electronics. ANYTHING you hook into your phoneline has the same ability to fail and lock up the line.

As for missing important family calls, are you one of the few that does not have a cell even for just backup purposes or a neighbor that your family can call in case YOU are incapacitated and the family wants someone to check on you?

look at it this way, you would normally get charged a $5 fee for every tv hooked up with a reciever(comcast, dtv, etc.) by hooking up a phone line dish is allowing you to save $5 a month. so having a 322 hooked up without a phone is the same as having two 311's or d11's if you have directv. but really the phone hookups are really for security. they want to make sure that the receivers are where they are supposed to be(per agreement/per household).

Manny is exactly right.

The fee is there on everyone's account with dual tuner receivers, but it is waived if you connect to the phone line.

It is not them changing you $5 more for not having the phone line, it is them charging me $5 less for having a phone/broadband connection.

Hey! Mine is connected to both phone line AND broadband. I should be saving $10! I'm getting ripped off!

way too much judgement from those 'answering' the OP's question. why cant we just answer like this? "the charge for not having a phone line connected is in the agreement that subs sign upon install."

why the jumping on the OP with "you clearly didnt read the documents you signed" attitude?

we embarrass me, sometimes...

way too much judgement from those 'answering' the OP's question. why cant we just answer like this? "the charge for not having a phone line connected is in the agreement that subs sign upon install."

why the jumping on the OP with "you clearly didnt read the documents you signed" attitude?

Yes reading and understanding contracts before signing and personal responsibilty are bad policy.
Anyone who refuses to take responsibility is an embarrassment

I think my answer was more than polite given the attitude of the OP when he asked the question. If you come in here pointing fingers and making accusations, people get defensive, it's just human nature. That's why when you ask a question, you need to make sure it's a question, not an accusation. Hell, the attitude is probably the reason he didn't get the phone line fee waived by customer service. I have gotten so many great things from customer service, simply by being nice myself, and explaining that the customer was very calm, and very polite about the whole situation that we (Dish Network as a whole, not me, I'm perfect :)) somehow screwed up.

The OP loaded the discussion from the get-go with inflammatory language used in the Title of this thread. His beef may not be with Dish, but whoever installed his receiver if they did not take steps to point out the need to have the dual-tuner receiver connected to a phone line.

I, myself, like the Caller ID feature on the Dish receivers. I want my receivers plugged into the phone line.

A certain level of intelligence is anticipated in written correspondence. And the above by the OP demonstrated none?

" On principle, I don't like the possibility that DISH can monitor and strore my viewing or channel-surfing record. It smacks too much of Big Brother and Homeland Security. I could get into the philosophical details; it is enough to peruse the controversies in the news this last few years to get my drift."

I would not think that Dish needs to use the phone to keep track, if they wanted, of what you watch.
I would think that they would keep track of your use via satellite.
If they did keep track by phone your phone would be busy all the time. I know that mine is not.
Some times I wish it were like around dinner time when these people trying to sell Dish service call me.

Cellular-based home phone system

For the folks who live "in the woods", as it were, satellite tv is a must, and phone service is rarely available, other than cellular!

Does anyone have direct knowledge whether a cellular-based home phone system will or will not support this connect-the-receiver-to-phone-line requirement? Most cellular services won't support packet switched data (modem) so this is a valid concern.

For the folks who live "in the woods", as it were, satellite tv is a must, and phone service is rarely available, other than cellular!

Does anyone have direct knowledge whether a cellular-based home phone system will or will not support this connect-the-receiver-to-phone-line requirement? Most cellular services won't support packet switched data (modem) so this is a valid concern.
The modem dials out on a standard telephone or POTS(plain old telco service) line. When testing the phone comnnection, the modem looks for a dial tone. IF the system you mentioned does not use a dial tone, it will not work

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)