Florida

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

BFG

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 2, 2004
Orlando
This is the thread to discuss cable companies and HD available on them in Florida.

i have had brighthouse cable for about three weeks. i switched from dish. located in tampa. we get all local in hd except nbc. showtime and hbo hd, inhd 1 and 2 (did not know how good these channels are), hdnet and movies, discovery and espnhd.

the analog channels look like dish locals. the digital channels are better than dish. the hd channels are better than dish. the local hd are right on with ota. i like the guide on dish better. i have the hdpvr (holds 20 hours of hd) and i love it. it is my first dvr. won't go back to satellite without a good one that works. the music channels show a cover of the album, a feature i enjoy. they have a bunch of indemand channels that are really neat.

i got the satellite to cable deal for one year. all channels for around 55 including the dvr. the movie channels go away after 6 months. the hd pak is 5 dollars.

WFLA (NBC) HD could be on BHN soon:

It seems that users wired up with BHN using a QAM tuner and now getting and tuning in NBC HD on channel 608 via their QAM tuner but as of yet BHN HD boxes don't see this new channel but the channel is currently QAM and free to air and was never there before. Sorry to say I don't know anyone at WFLA but just spreading the word that it seems that is very very close to being done and available to BHN cable users in the Tampa Bay Area.

longhorn, i just came here to ask the question about nbc and when brighthouse tampa would get it and why (dispute) they don't have it now. i am not sure what you are saying with the qam tuner, but i have the scientific atlantic 8300 which i believe has two qam tuners. are you saying there might be some way for me to pick up nbc now with the 8300?, before they actually add it?

korsjs said:
longhorn, i just came here to ask the question about nbc and when brighthouse tampa would get it and why (dispute) they don't have it now. i am not sure what you are saying with the qam tuner, but i have the scientific atlantic 8300 which i believe has two qam tuners. are you saying there might be some way for me to pick up nbc now with the 8300?, before they actually add it?

You can't pick it up even when they had it because BHN can block it from their boxes but they can't block it from an HDTV set because it isn't two way like their boxes. Now with that said it seems its been cut off and is scrambled now so I wouldn't expect it anytime soon now. I'm not getting my hopes up for NBC HD because I know what type of company Media General is and who they have in charge and lets just say they are stupid as they come and they won't give in until the other gives in or they start losing money. Now I think they are losing money but their books won't show this the way I see it.

To give another example the St. Pete Times I know is having major problems even since they made their carriers independent contractors when they were employees before. How do I know this. One reason my paper for my first three years with this company was never missed and always dry and ever since I'm lucky if I get it at all and when I do its either wet or late as hell. It seems in the last 6 months its been worse. Knowing business they think this system will save them money in the long run and just seeing my area having so many problems makes me believe that they are being hurt more than they saved. But again their books can't show this for many years but I know they are having problems. I also think I've had 4 different people delivering my paper in the last year as well. So it seems turnover must be high.

thanks for your answer. i am hoping they will add it before nbc takes over nascar. so basically it's a money thing between them and brighthouse.

have you tried the tribune? when there is a chance of rain, they double bag it and mine has always been there by 630 when i leave for work.

korsjs said:
thanks for your answer. i am hoping they will add it before nbc takes over nascar. so basically it's a money thing between them and brighthouse.

have you tried the tribune? when there is a chance of rain, they double bag it and mine has always been there by 630 when i leave for work.

The Tampa Tribune is the worst POS paper I've ever read. The paper itself isn't as wide and they use bad paper and ink and it shows. Also the writers aren't very good so besides that both papers have the national news. But I will say your lucky to have a good person because in my area our delivery sucks. Now I don't feel like walking half a mile to get my paper so I've always asked for it to be thrown towards my door. I have a big circle driveway so they just drive up there in and out and I've always tipped 200 bucks every year but it seems that isn't enough anymore to get good service.

Didn't the tribune also print the article about the Lightning losing the stanely cup...

thanks for the find longhorn. i wonder what brought them around? did it have something to due with the two sub channels they have?

korsjs said:
thanks for the find longhorn. i wonder what brought them around? did it have something to due with the two sub channels they have?

They held off on giving BHN a deal hoping they could force them to carry the sub channels so now they just made the deal because of the recent ruling.

glad they made the deal. i am happy to have it for when they have nascar second half brodcasts. i went back through my timers to see if anything was worth recording. to me nbc has gone downhill over the years. i kind of got into that law and order jury show.

korsjs said:
glad they made the deal. i am happy to have it for when they have nascar second half brodcasts. i went back through my timers to see if anything was worth recording. to me nbc has gone downhill over the years. i kind of got into that law and order jury show.

I'm not big with the Law & Order shows but I love the new show medium.

LonghornXP said:
I'm not big with the Law & Order shows but I love the new show medium.

i was not a fan either, i watched the jury one, because of the guy who died. i kind of enjoyed that one, so i added it to my record list.

TAMPA - Cathy Vonderheide isn't happy about paying nearly $50 a month for standard cable television service. But for now, she's sort of stuck with Bright House Networks, if she wants to give her household of six the Cartoon Network, ESPN, the Food Network and more of what they want.
``I haven't checked out anyone else because Bright House Networks is the only one in this area,'' said Vonderheide, who lives in the Meadow Pointe subdivision in Pasco County.

Well, not quite, but close. Bright House Networks is the dominant provider of pay-television in Hillsborough, Pasco, Pinellas, Polk, Hernando, Citrus and Manatee counties.

Officials for Bright House Networks contend that there are alternatives. They say the cable company competes with satellite providers Dish Network and DirecTV throughout its seven-county territory.

But the first reward of competition, lower prices, is seen only in nine Pinellas County communities, where Bright House Networks competes directly with another cable operator: West Point, Ga.-based Knology Inc.

That may change sometime this year if New York-based Verizon Communications Inc. begins its pay-TV service on schedule. Since last year, Verizon has been installing a fiber- optic network t plans to use for cable TV, as well as phone, Internet and other services. Verizon has said it plans to invest about $100 million over several years on its fiber network in the Tampa Bay area as part of a much larger, multibillion dollar investment to use fiber throughout its system.

For now, however, limited choice has translated into higher prices for hundreds of thousands of pay-TV customers in the Bay area. That means Bright House Networks customers pay as much as $14.54 a month more in Hillsborough County than Dunedin residents in Pinellas County pay for the same service.

``It's just something that's been difficult for us to deal with, where we have that situation,'' said Dan Ballister, a St. Petersburg-based spokesman for Bright House Networks, a unit of Syracuse, N.Y.-based Advance/Newhouse Communications Inc. ``We know that customers, our customers, are sensitive to that issue, and so are we. And we've been trying to do something about it.''

The monthly charges can vary substantially for Bright House Networks' standard service, which offers some 80 channels, from local television stations to national cable news and sports networks.

Ballister said the large differences between Hillsborough and Pinellas are because the competing cable system for parts of Pinellas County offers a ``very unrealistic price.''

Mitch Bernatsky, general manager at Knology in Pinellas County, said charges $34.95 for a package that is comparable to Bright House Networks' standard service. He said the price is reasonable, considering how competitive parts of Pinellas are.

Ballister said Bright House Networks' typical price of $46.49 is in line with other cable operators around the nation. But as of the end of 2004, the national average price for a similar package of television programming was $38.23, according to data gathered by Kagan Research LLC and reported on the Web site of the National Cable & Telecommunications Association.

Paul Rodriguez, spokesman for the cable operators' trade association based in Washingston, said the cable industry likes to focus on value, not price. He said the number of channels continues to increase and the quality of service is constantly improving.

``We feel cable is presenting huge value for what you pay,'' he said. ``What do you get? A lot of channels, something for everybody in the family. Compare that to what it cost to go to the movies or ballgame.''

Still, Verizon may soon become a deciding factor in such value versus price reasoning. As Verizon establishes a new fiber-optic network, it plans to launch television services in Hillsborough, Pasco and Pinellas counties in the third or fourth quarter of this year.

Bob Elek, Verizon's spokesman in Tampa, said Bay area residents can expect pay-TV prices to drop when its video service hits the market, although he would not disclose pricing information.

``That's why the free market is such a beautiful thing,'' Elek said. ``You've already seen what it means. Where there is a competitive service, [Bright House Networks'] rates are not as high.''

Vonderheide, who now gets her high-speed Internet service and telephone over Verizon's new fiber network, said she plans to drop Bright House Networks once Verizon begins pay-television in the Bay area.

``Bright House just seems to continue to increase,'' she said.

Reporter Will Rodgers can be reached at (813) 259-7870.

This story can be found at: http://money.tbo.com/money/MGBOQ2ACE6E.html

TAMPA - After nearly three years of haggling, Bright House Networks and WFLA, Channel 8, have cut a deal to put the NBC affiliate's digital signal on cable in the Tampa-St. Petersburg area.
Subscribers to Bright House's HDTV (High Definition) service can see WFLA HD on Channel 608. A test signal started March 11. WFLA DT, the digital version of WFLA, is available for digital cable customers to preview on Channel 609.

``Bright House Networks is excited to launch the HD version of WFLA, with its great mix of NBC programming and local news coverage,'' said Kevin Hyman, president of Bright House Networks' Tampa Bay Division. ``This addition is one that's been regularly requested by customers.''

WFLA President Eric Land said the agreement ends long negotiations over the retransmission of the WFLA HD signal, which is free over the air on Channel 7 (to those who have HD TV sets and receivers).

``WFLA is very excited to be able to reach this agreement, and we believe it will be in the best interests of our viewers and Bright House subscribers,'' Land said.

The sticking point in the negotiations had been over full clearance for WFLA's digital signal, according to both parties. Land said WFLA wanted the full bandwidth for future programming. This will pave the way for new channels to be added, he said.

With the addition of WFLA HD, Bright House Networks offers 14 HD channels, including popular local channels such as ABC/WFTS, CBS/WTSP, Fox/WTVT, PBS/WEDU and WUSF. Also recently added was WMOR, Channel 32.

This story can be found at: http://money.tbo.com/money/MGBTH6WCE6E.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)