Flying SWA, they have Dish they say

KKlare

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 18, 2003
Los Alamos, NM
FWIW got this pre-flight:

Hello Valued Customer,

Your flight on ... is currently scheduled to be on one of our WiFi-enabled planes and features free live TV compliments of DISH! Using your own laptop, tablet or smartphone, you will have unlimited access to both live channels and on-demand television shows at no cost.

View a list of compatible devices.

>>What kind of device do I need?
You will be able to test your device prior to purchasing TV or movies. The inflight entertainment offerings are available on WiFi-enabled devices (802.11g/n) that meet the following minimum requirements:

Windows Minimum Requirements
Operating System: Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP
Browser: Internet Explorer 7.x (or higher), Firefox 11.x (or higher), Google Chrome 18.x (or higher).
Plug-ins: Adobe Flash Player 10.0.22 (or higher)

Apple Minimum Requirements
Operating System: OSX 10.6.x, or 10.7.x
Browser: Safari 5.x (or higer [sic]), Firefox 11.x (or higher), Google Chrome 18.x (or higher)
Plug-ins: Adobe Flash Player 10.0.22 or higher

iOS Requirements: Compatible with iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, iPod touch: 3rd & 4th generation, and iPad. Requires iOS 4.2 or later.

Android Requirements: Only select devices are supported at this time.
Plug-ins: Adobe Flash Player 10.0.22 or higher

>>I'll see how many channels and the quality and how long my 4-yr old MacBook holds out.
-Ken

FWIW got this pre-flight:

Hello Valued Customer,

Your flight on ... is currently scheduled to be on one of our WiFi-enabled planes and features free live TV compliments of DISH! Using your own laptop, tablet or smartphone, you will have unlimited access to both live channels and on-demand television shows at no cost.

View a list of compatible devices.

>>What kind of device do I need?
You will be able to test your device prior to purchasing TV or movies. The inflight entertainment offerings are available on WiFi-enabled devices (802.11g/n) that meet the following minimum requirements:

?????

I load my kindle & netbook with videos, but usually end up with a window seat so I can watch the scenery (even if cloudy) ... I bought wifi once, wasn't really worth it for an hour and a half trip, I can see on the much longer routes though.

Some of it is free. Some of it you have to pay for. What is so hard about that? IIRC they have network TV that is free. Their On demand movies are for purchase. According to SWA's website, the movies are $5 each, which is fairly competitive with itunes, etc.

The wi-fi access is free. If you want to go on the internet there is a fee for that. I am not really seeing how this is out of line with what the other airlines are doing. What is different about what southwest is doing, is they are giving you a set of free content, and giving you the connection, you just have to bring the device. (assuming you are on a wifi enabled flight.)
?

Last edited:
still, "unlimited access to on-demand tv shows at no cost" and "purchase tv shows" do not jive.

still, "unlimited access to on-demand tv shows at no cost" and "purchase tv shows" do not jive.

I am sure they have it covered in the fine print. :D. Unlimited access means you don't have to pay for the wi-fi connection. Once you have accessed it, you may choose to pay for certain content, or you may choose the free content.

Yep - you get on the wireless network & have access to the SW Airlines portal site. Here there is free stuff, or you access paid stuff using Credit Card.

I'm cheap - we just access the free flight map (where you are relative to US Map) so we can look out the window & follow along.

I was on a SWA fight about 3 weeks ago and the dish TV is free and it rocks.

I flew SWA a month or so ago and had a flight that offered the wifi service with Dish. I cannot remember if it worked on both my Kindle and PC, but I do remember just opening my browser and offering me internet access and/or TV. Some of the TV is free, with commercials, and IIRC there is some premium programming offered.

If you want internet access it is like $10 for the day (across multiple flights, I believe), but this is not necessary for the Dish. They also offer the tracking map which shows the plane's progress from A-B for free as well as access to the SWA reservation system.

Miner

Virgin America has dish and a bunch of other choices. When it comes to In Flight Intertainment they are the best. I may be a little biased since my son is in charge of it.

It works great, just watch a 30s ad for the hopper, then free live tv and free VOD shows that change every month. They also sell movies for $5 but there is so much free stuff, why pay.

Not everyone lives near a metropolitan area with many airlines, If I didn't fly Southwest to CES from El Paso the only other choice's are "puddle jumper" type planes, there is nothing wrong with Southwest...

They are very succesful for a reason. His comment was his typical bash Dish rant. we get it man, you hate them.

Nope, Airport is 158 miles from my house with no small towns in between and only Whites City for about a half mile at 45 for slow down, Midland is about 160 plus going thru town, Eunice & Andrews or Hobbs & Andrews, plus its going 100 miles the wrong way... ;) There used to be flights from Lubbock that stopped in El Paso and continued on to Vegas.

Can't beat this. The wife is Flying from Rochester NY to Milwaukee for a week and back to visit her daughter. Uisng points this trip is costing us $10. Have never paid any interest charges of the SW credit card.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts