fm mod question for sirius

korsjs

Welcome To SatelliteGuys
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 25, 2004
Land O Lakes, FL
i have a 98 ford explorer and non replay sportster. couple of years ago, had a jvc pnp and used it in a chryster mini van, i think 99. i had a fm mod for the jvc and when i turned on the unit, no matter what fm channel it was on, sirius would take over.

with my sportster, i tried using the same fm mod with an adapater to make it fit into the fm out of the sportster. however, i still have to have the fm out turned on for the unit to work and it has to be on the freq assigned by the unit. i went out a purchased a new fm mod made by sirius to see if it would be different, it is not.

my question is, does the sportster need to be set up anyway so when i turn it on, no matter what fm channel it is on, it will play? or is that the way the new units are designed?

or do i need an antenna adapter for the ford radio? the guy at best buy said no, but you know how much they know.

thanks.

most of the time FM modulators work just fine,but some times they can be a real pain in the neck.there are 2 things you can do that will fix your problem once and for all. #1.if it is just a plane jane ford stock radio,you can for not a lot of money get a new car stereo that has a " AUX INPUT " and directly connect left and right audio cable right into your new stereo which you would not need a FM modulator at all,the sound quality is a little better also.or #2 purchase a head end stereo that has sirius built in, most likely all you would need is a sirius tuner module that connects to the stereo unit easily.kenwood or panasonic make some nice head end units.
hopefully this points you in the right direction.:)

thanks for the suggestions, but neither one is what i am looking for. don't want a new radio because, i never listen to cd, mostly talk radio and the 80s channel.

don't want a sat ready radio because i like the big display on the sportster.

I just have my #1 preset on the radio set to the frequency the FM modulator is outputting.

I can't wait to get mine wired in.

Disconnect the antenna lead at the base of the mast, but not the back of the in-dash radio. Really strong local stations can still be tuned, but all the mid to weak will disappear, thus giving you more clean, usable FM freq. I find myself NEVER using regular FM and this method works great. Luckily my powered mast in at the trunk so it was an easy job. I get traffic & weather via sat radio so no need for locals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts